Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 14, 2005
Hello all, but of a curious one here.

I can't seem to adjust my system volume using either the slider on the menu bar or the keys on my keyboard.

When I try, the volume change display appears but wont work. Have taken a screenshot.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 1,725

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 14, 2005
Cool, thanks for the tips. Will try when I get home. :)

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
^^ Cool, didn't see that other thread... it was the little 'Ø' that made me think of permissions, but the PRAM makes even more sense when it comes to Volume settings... :)

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I've seen it a bit 'round here recently. There's a bug with the audio jack and a restart fixes it, but there seems to be another bug out there that needs the full PRAM reset to kick it back into action.

alaskamac

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2007
actually just had that happen to me with my imac, repair permissions did not work, however resetting the PRAM did. now if you can think of anyway to make Mail launch i'd be doing alright. i click on it in the dock and nothing comes up. to make matters worse i have to use force quit to make the little gray triangle go away. (can't use the short cut)

alaskamac

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2007
mail trouble

are you talking about mail-->preferences? i can't even get mail to launch from the applications folder. i get the beach ball and then have to force quit because of non responding

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 14, 2005
Only just had a chance to try the tips and no joy!

I've repaired permissions, reset the PRAM and relaunched finder/dock and still can't change volume.

Any more ideas chaps? :(

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Don't know, yet... but I have a couple of ideas... ;)

From your original account, can you regulate the volume if you go directly in System Preferences -> Sound -> Output and use the Output volume slider?

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 14, 2005
You've solved it!

Went to sound pref and, as you can see from the screenshot, the selected output device had no volume control. I changed the output device and we're off!

Thanks for the help :)

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 65

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
You've solved it!

Went to sound pref and, as you can see from the screenshot, the selected output device had no volume control. I changed the output device and we're off!

Thanks for the help :)

Some pieces of software will install the aggregated sound driver and give the symptoms you were describing. I had a similar issue when I install iShowU and used the option to record system volume. Glad you found the solution, just thought i would point this out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.