Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

corradoboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
My CD/DVD ROM drive recently went faulty with a split internal ribbon so I decided to use it as an opportunity to add CD burning with a Combo drive. DVD burning wasn't really an option as I only have 3.5g of a 9.8g HDD to play with.

I acquired a replacement from iFixIt and fitted it yesterday, the only problem being that their site never stated it was a Mat$h!ta unit, and so I cannot play any of my multi-region DVD's. I understand these drives are fixed at RPC-2 and there isn't and never will be a firmware flash to make them RPC-1 to allow the use of RegionX. I was surprised that even VLC didn't work, as I thought it was just the Intel machines which suffered this fate.

So, I intend to return the unit and need to source a suitable replacement. Does anyone know which drive will fit in the bay of my G3PB and can be flashed ? I have had the Pioneer DVR K05 recommended but the firmware flash is a grey area for that drive, and I don't need the DVD burning. If someone could confirm if this drive would work though I will still get it.
Thanks in advance.

corradoboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
Thanks for all the advice

Update. Sourced an Optiarc (NEC/Sony) superdrive (CD/DVD RW) for £30 and got the suppliers to flash the firmware from a download I supplied and it works a treat on multiregion DVD playback through Apple DVD Player. Ran Patchburn 3 and now iTunes also sees it as a burner. Sorted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.