Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GeneR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 2, 2003
The land of delusions, CA.
Sorry, really not a computer buff. Only learn what I need. However, I'm trying to install a program on my linux host and it says that I need to CHMOD a document to 777 in order to have it work.

If I can CHMOD on OS X would someone please help me understand how to do that? Thanks! Sorry for the bother.

Gene

Chimaera

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2002
hang on, this is a doc on a remote computer you need to chmod?

or is the file on your machine?

if its on the remote machine you need to do the following:
1, open terminal (applications:utilities)
2, type SSH -l <account name on remote server> <IP/DNS of remote server> (for example ssh -l badger 62.31.22.145 OR ssh -l badger http://www.reallydull.com> (no these are *NOT* valid accounts - only examples :))
3, enter your password
4, type cd <location of file> (eg cd /~/reallycoolapp/ (the ~ denotes your home directory))
5, type chmod 777 <filename>
6, type ./<filename>

if the file is on your OSX machine omit steps 2 and 3.

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
Can't you also do it using the "Get info" contextual menu? This is perhaps slightly easier than using the terminal for someone new to Unix. In this case 777 means read and write permission to everyone.

edit: oops, didn't see that it was on linux. Forget about my post.

GeneR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 2, 2003
The land of delusions, CA.
Hmmm.

Thanks for info! :D

I didn't try it (yet). (I got so frustrated last night I stayed up until 2am trying to find another way.) I found that BBEdit had Open from FTP Server option.

File > Open from FTP Server >
Entered my server info, username, password,
pressed 'Connect'
Then clicked on the files and folders and pressed 'Get Info' and worked with the CHMOD settings that way.

What a pain in the butt. :(

However, I really appreciate the info. I will definitely try using all the helpful information on this thread. Thanks a lot, guys!

RE: ibookin's suggestion.
Would that mean going into the utility, Terminal, and typing in CHMOD?

RE: Veldek
I'm sorry, I did not understand your meaning by "oops, didn't see that it was on linux. Forget about my post." What exactly is the difference between the two?

I apologize for my ignorance. Thanks a lot. :D

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Originally posted by Chimaera
4, type cd <location of file> (eg cd /~/reallycoolapp/ (the ~ denotes your home directory))
A minor correction: I think you mean cd ~/reallycoolapp/, with no slash on the front.

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
Well, I meant in OS X you needn't use the terminal to change permissions. You can do it from Aqua. Using linux, I don't know if your window manager makes this possible. Most probably it can only be done using the terminal (and this is what most linux users do anyway, isn't it?)

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
Most of the time unless you are going to really get into the Unix of Mac OS X you don't want to Chmod. Mac OS X's operating system and applications have very specific permissions that you don't want to mess around with. With Mac OS X 10.1.5 and up you can run an Apple utility to fix permissions to match the template of the operating system's expected permissions:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106900
for Mac OS X 10.1.5.

and for Mac OS X 10.2 and up, use the Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility -> First Aid tab -> select the hard disk and hit the Repair Permissions button if your machine will boot to the desktop. One method to fixing some machines that won't boot the hard disk with 10.2 and up is use the Mac OS X 10.2 installer CD's Disk Utility in the Installer menu.

There is a utility called batchmod which will modify permissions in batch, if you know what you are doing. People who don't can render their whole system unbootable. Batchmod is here:

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/6440

Only use it if you are sure what you are doing. One of my friends used it and not only made his hard drive unbootable, but also his CD drive!

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2002
Connecticut
open the terminal (Applications folder)

type the following:

man chmod

this will give you the manual (man) for chmod (command).

you can use this for just about any unix based utility in OS X or linux or BSD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.