Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dr34mr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2007
Sydney Australia
Hey All,

I have too many applications in my dock (something like 38 items) and i was wondering if it was possible to group applications in the dock? I guess kind of having a sub dock (One for Final Cut Studio, Creative Suite, & MS Office). I have a 24" Wide-screen monitor (1920x1200) and my dock is almost as wide maybe 1000px.

I just want to know if its possible, not whether you think its a good idea

Phil

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
What you could do is group similar applications in folders, and then have the folder on the right of your dock, all you do is right-click then to see the contents and choose an app.

There was a application I had that grouped applications in the central area of the dock, but I forget it's name, I'll try find it for you.

Edit: Overflow

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
I'd personally just use Quicksilver to launch the applications I want. I find it a lot faster and convenient than having a large dock, but that's just personal preference.

You could always give it a shot though. :D

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
If you are not too keen on the ideas above (though I thoroughly recommend Quicksilver), you can use aliases.

My friend does the following:

Create a new folder called Application groups or a name of your choosing

In this, create sub folders of your choice, such as Creative Suite, Office, Browsers...whatever.

Right click on all of your Office apps and choose Create Alias. Drag all of these into the Office subfolder. Same for CS2/3 apps, browsers, games or whatever you actually want to group them as.

Drag the Application Groups folder to the right side of the dock.

Now, to get access to these sub groups, just right click that folder in the dock.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.