Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macworksgreat

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 8, 2007
Rome, GA
Hey all. I went to an Apple Store in Atlanta (I liVe about 70 miles from there) the other day to get an iSigtht for my Mac mini.They don't sell them anymore but instead tech Apple guy sold me a Logitech QuickCam Fusion. Help!!!

I cannot get it to work on my Mac mini. I even tried to load it via Parallels - the software loaded fine but when i went to plug the USB into my mini I got a message saying that the USB in Parallels is in use> What? Is there a way I can use this cam without all this hassle? Or did the Apple guy steer me wrong (probably not)...more than likely I am too stupid to know how to get this thing working. Need help asap...I purchased one at Circuit City (saved $30 by doing so ) and I want to take the one from Apple back tomorrow if I can.

Be gentle..I am stupid

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
What are you trying to accomplish with the camera? If you want it to work in iChat, for instance, or Skype, or pretty much any other application in OS X, you DO NOT need drivers. You do need at least 10.4.8, however. Quit parallels, plug the camera in, and lauch iChat. That should be it. If you want to do something else, please explain.

macworksgreat

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 8, 2007
Rome, GA
I told you I was stupid:) . I will try just plugging it in. The problem is I read the instructions - that said i was to run the software "first". I just want to use it for the 'Delicious" program so I can read the "codes" off my books for my library, etc. Thanks.

I'll run it as you said. It works...well, what do you know:D Thanks for the help. If all else doesn't work..please don't read the instructions!:)

macworksgreat

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 8, 2007
Rome, GA
Mike doesn't work

I think I found a new problem with using the QuickCam Fusion on the Mac....when I tested it in Skype the "mic" did not seem to be working. :mad: Again.....I probably don't know what I am doing.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Hmmm, try going to system preferences -> sound -> input, and see if it's listed in the white box at the top (while the cam is plugged in). If it is, try selecting it there.

macworksgreat

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 8, 2007
Rome, GA
I did that and all that is listed in the 'Input" is : "Line In Audio line - in port". Is that because it is a mini?

On the Apple Store site a reviewer, of the QuickCam, said this: "Perhaps those ones reporting issues have not updated their OS X to 10.4.9. This is needed and is clearly stated in the apple store. I plugged it and it works in Skype and iChat. The Mic works as input for all apps (important since Mac Mini Intel does not work with analog mics). Installed Photo Booth and as expected, works with some issues, since this app is not supported for Macs that do not come with built-in iSights as Mac Mini."

I have the 10.4.10 update. Again, in my System Preferences and in Input Audio all I see is the Audio line-in port. So....

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Hmmm... strange. I'm not exactly sure. Is it possible to do some testing and see if the webcam works with microphone in other applications (you might try iChatAV)? In iChat, there's this video test sort of setting in the menus (forgot what it's called). When you click on it, you get a picture of your camera and also a volume bar underneath it; if the microphone is working, the volume bar should be moving around as you talk.

Also try unplugging the camera and plugging it in while you're on that sys preference and see if anything comes up?

macworksgreat

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 8, 2007
Rome, GA
Thanks for your suggestions. I did what you suggested...had the camera working but the bar underneath it did not move at all. I wonder if the problem is that the mini needs to have a 'direct' audio line-in mic plugged into it rather than the USB 2 only? I don't know

macworksgreat

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 8, 2007
Rome, GA
mkrishan

Thanks for your input. I found this out, yesterday: http://www.biloca.com/blog/?p=25 says all you need to use an external mic is a line level converter. I went to an Apple Store in Atlanta and picked up an iMic and will hook up a mic via that. They said it will work.:)

gugi

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2007
mkrishan

Thanks for your input. I found this out, yesterday: http://www.biloca.com/blog/?p=25 says all you need to use an external mic is a line level converter. I went to an Apple Store in Atlanta and picked up an iMic and will hook up a mic via that. They said it will work.:)

The high end logitech cams work fine with 10.4.9. I have STX, fusion, and ultra vision and they all worked fine until apple pushed 10.4.10. The update broke the microphone for these cameras - there is no USB audio device anymore. I just reinstalled os x from the DVD and upgraded only to 10.4.9.
(I have the latest mac mini).
Purchasing imic and external microphone should work, but I don't see a reason to spend another $30 just because apple are way too greedy to provide proper support for their products. Yes these cameras are 3rd party, therefore apple doesn't guarantee support, however they have discontinued their 1st party solution (isight).
As an alternative to imic I've used my bouetooth headset however I have a lot of issues with it. Every now and then the operating system crashes (definately BT related since w/o it it never crashes and with BT lasts few hours to a week) - this is not a lacking third party support, this is a horrible first party operating system.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
The high end logitech cams work fine with 10.4.9. I have STX, fusion, and ultra vision and they all worked fine until apple pushed 10.4.10. The update broke the microphone for these cameras - there is no USB audio device anymore. I just reinstalled os x from the DVD and upgraded only to 10.4.9.

Sorry to be picky... but since this is the first I've heard of this, and it's really good information, can you please clarify:

10.4.9 -> 10.4.10 upgrade caused your USB audio devices to stop working
Reinstall to 10.4.9 and they worked again

That's definitely interesting news. I'd hate for the OP to have to go and buy an iMic, etc, just to get a microphone when they already have a webcam mic. Sounds like 10.4.9 is a much better option.

keirnna

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2006
Japan
Sorry to be picky... but since this is the first I've heard of this, and it's really good information, can you please clarify:

10.4.9 -> 10.4.10 upgrade caused your USB audio devices to stop working
Reinstall to 10.4.9 and they worked again

That's definitely interesting news. I'd hate for the OP to have to go and buy an iMic, etc, just to get a microphone when they already have a webcam mic. Sounds like 10.4.9 is a much better option.

Yeah this is ridiculous. I ran the update and now my USB mic no longer works. Everything worked perfectly under 10.4.9. I refuse to reload my Mac. This is complete ********. Apple better have plans to un-jack this or I am through with Apple! Give us no isight and then give us wide camera support with 10.4.9 just to take away our microphones with 10.4.10.

cyaker

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2007
Bought at Apple on their recommendation

Bought a Logitech Quickcam Fusion at Apple Store at their recommendation. They did not give me a disclaimer therefore I expect it to work - Microphone doesn't - or expect the store to resolve the problem or refund my money. If the problem is with 10.4.10 I would hope 10.4.11 is in the works

keirnna

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2006
Japan
Bought a Logitech Quickcam Fusion at Apple Store at their recommendation. They did not give me a disclaimer therefore I expect it to work - Microphone doesn't - or expect the store to resolve the problem or refund my money. If the problem is with 10.4.10 I would hope 10.4.11 is in the works
I have the Logitech QuickCam® Pro 5000 wich is UVC compliant. There should be an immediate fix for this!

keirnna

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2006
Japan
Logitech is being very helpful:
Nathan, as I understand it the USB microphone's does not work with the latest version of Macintosh OS, if this is incorrect please inform me.

Macintosh will need to fix the issue with the USB audio drivers in the new version of the OS as all microphone's do not come with any software. What I will do for you at the moment is forward this case as a driver request to the appropriate department to see if a workaround can be developed. Please do check the Logitech website periodically for updates in regards to this. I will be sure to personally inform you if I receive any updates in the near future.

jamesonb

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2007
Fixed It

Hi guys

New here. Have a Logitech Ultra Vision that went down on me as well after updating to 10.4.10. With some luck and 15 mins of time i got it back up, heres how.

download Pacifist http://www.charlessoft.com/Pacifist.dmg and install. It allows you to install drivers and what not.

Download 10.4.9 combo updater for which ever version of mac, one listed below is for intel
Intel,http://wsidecar.apple.com/cgi-bin/n...m=osx&method=sa/MacOSXUpdCombo10.4.9Intel.dmg

Now with Pacifist installed drag the combo updater onto pacifist and extract MacOSXUpdCombo10.4.9Intel.pkg to where ever you would like.

Close the window in pacifist showing the combo updater and find what you have extracted, drag this onto pacifist. it is in here you will find your way to the system folder, expand this

Find your way through system/library/extensions to AppleUSBAudio.kext
right click on the Kext and install.

I also installed AppleHDA.kext from within the same folder, i dont know if this step was actually needed to be honest, some of you may want to only install the AppleUSBAudio.kext.

After these steps have finished find your way into your directies of your mac hard drive to MACHD/SYSTEM/LIBRARY it is here you will find Extensions.kextcache, trash this, i emptied my trash right away dont know if neccessary.

I then rebuilt permisions and restarted.

Now i can talk on skype

Hope it helps

jamesonb

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2007
whoever does this

who ever follows my instructions, because i failed to do "get info" on before and after versions of drivers, do you mind gabbing the versions of drivers before and after.

Again i dont know if AppleHDA.kext is needed to be reinstalled, i did however install it myself.

good luck

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
James,

I too lost my Logitech UltraVision audio with this update.

Spent the last 10 minutes following your instructions to a "T"

Unfortunately, did not help.

jamesonb

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2007
Are you on PPC or Intel

The link i posted for combo update is for intel. just in case
Also did you apply both drivers? appleHDA.kext and AppleUSBAudio.kext

Best regards,
Jameson

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
Intel and absolutely, both drivers.

Still cannot get audio out of my Logitech UltraVision

Any way to go backwards and download the prior update to fix things?

keirnna

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2006
Japan
Here you can find my thread on this: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1009957&tstart=0

Apple knows about this and is making a fix. I recommend giving it some time instead of messing with 10.4.9.

This is a follow up to Bug ID# 5294479. After further investigation it has been determined that this is a known issue, which is currently being investigated by engineering. This issue has been filed in our bug database under the original Bug ID# 5285354.

jamesonb

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2007
so i proceeded to do it on another comp i had with 10.4.10. so i did my steps. no go
I use carbon copy clone so i mounted the dmg i made of 10.4.9, i back up my systems.
dragged the AppleUSBAudio.kext out of back up (10.4.9) to current system (10.4.10), deleted extension.kextcache in current system, rebooted

Gave error sayin driver installed improperly upon boot, rebuilt permissions after and restarted

She worked.

Must have been a combination of me using old kext and the install procedures i listed earlier.

sorry for the confusion

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
James,

Since doing your update, I get a strange connection sounds
from my speakers as if the audio is connecting and then disconnecting.

I didn't back anything up prior to your instructions. Is it safe to
say that when Apple issues a new update that it will overwrite any
changes I made to my computer?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.