Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cbrain

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 9, 2006
North-East, UK
Hi,

I am thinking about buying an AppleTV but there's a problem. My TV has component video inputs but no audio inputs. What am I going to do to get audio?

Thanks.

jur1st

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2006
Nope, none at all.

There is however, an output, but that's not going to be of much use.

have you plugged a DVD player into this TV before? perhaps it's set up to have only one device attached with you being able to choose whether or not to use component cables.

cbrain

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 9, 2006
North-East, UK
I have used a DVD player before but I connected it with a scart lead. All the devices connected at the moment are connected with a scart lead.

imlucid

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2007
That doesn't make any sense. Why have video inputs without audio inputs? What model/make is this TV?

Kevin

OldSkoolNJ

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
There is no reason why they would make the TV like this. Can you take a picture of the back of your TV for us so we can see it? My only thought is the Video Input that the components are on have dual capability. Like maybe there is also an S Video input. Then that input could be used for either S Video "OR" component. Then maybe you are using the S Video (or whatever it maybe) and the audio is used with them deeming the components useless as those kind of inputs are usually either or. If you can snap a pic I am sure we can figure this out. If it turns out to be as a exactly you say it is I would be on the phone to Panasonic.
:apple: Kevin

bmb012

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2006
Sounds like you need a surround sound system... that would solve it :D

5.1 from an AppleTV, *sigh*

cbrain

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 9, 2006
North-East, UK
There is no reason why they would make the TV like this. Can you take a picture of the back of your TV for us so we can see it? My only thought is the Video Input that the components are on have dual capability. Like maybe there is also an S Video input. Then that input could be used for either S Video "OR" component. Then maybe you are using the S Video (or whatever it maybe) and the audio is used with them deeming the components useless as those kind of inputs are usually either or. If you can snap a pic I am sure we can figure this out. If it turns out to be as a exactly you say it is I would be on the phone to Panasonic.
:apple: Kevin

I'll try and get a pic for you.

bmb012,

A suround system isn't much of an option.

Azurael

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2005
Hi,

I am thinking about buying an AppleTV but there's a problem. My TV has component video inputs but no audio inputs. What am I going to do to get audio?

Thanks.

I would suggest that perhaps your TV doesn't have component input but infact has composite + 2 RCA for audio left and right, as I've never seen a TV with video input but no audio.

It's easy to tell if the inputs are colour coded; video will be yellow and audio will be red and white with composite + audio, whereas YPbPr component with no audio would be red, green and blue.

GlynJones

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2005
I would suggest that perhaps your TV doesn't have component input but infact has composite + 2 RCA for audio left and right, as I've never seen a TV with video input but no audio.

It's easy to tell if the inputs are colour coded; video will be yellow and audio will be red and white with composite + audio, whereas YPbPr component with no audio would be red, green and blue.

These are quite often placed under a flap on the front of the TV. Check to see if yours has one.

Glyn.

cbrain

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 9, 2006
North-East, UK
Hi,

The Model number is TX-36PL32. The brand is Panasonic. I also have a picture of the sockets on the back. You will see 2 audio ports, but their outputs.

The picture is here.

Thanks in advance.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
Hi,

The Model number is TX-36PL32. The brand is Panasonic. I also have a picture of the sockets on the back. You will see 2 audio ports, but their outputs.

The picture is here.

Thanks in advance.

Can't really make out that line between the component and the third scart input, but looks like that third input with either take its video from the scart cable OR the component connections. In other words, you may be able to feed the audio through the third scart connection and the video through the component. You will obviously have to move the black cable to the first scart port.

Edit: yep! balamw got it.

1009624mc3.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.