Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Caitlyn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Hey MacRumors.

I'm currently running a 2GHz MacBook Core Duo with 2GB of RAM and an 80GB HD. I'm outgrowing it quickly as I'm branching into Final Cut Express and LiveType.

At first, I wanted a MacBook Pro. The new SR processor maxed out with a 15" screen. But then, I remembered that I need a large hard drive and laptops can only go up to roughly 200GB. I could get an external, but I just don't trust them after a major failure I had about a year ago.

Then, I was looking at iMacs. I was realizing how capable they are and how a maxed out 20" iMac (once they are updated this summer) would be perfect for me. The large hard drive, large screen and large dedicated video card.

But, this presented a problem because I do need portability at times. I just do. I've become so accustom to it that I can't see not having it.

I don't want to have a machine close in specs to the iMac because I would be tempted to skimp out on using the iMac for its dedicated tasks and try them on the MacBook. So, then I began remembering how much I loved the 12" PowerBooks. How compact they are. And when I'm on the go, I mainly upload some photos, web browse, check email, listen to music and instant message, Skype or Twitter.

My main question is: do you think going the 12" PowerBook and maxed out SR iMac 20" route would be a bad idea seeing as the 12" PowerBook is an obsolete chip? I'm becoming more and more set on the idea, so please share some objective opinions! Thanks a bunch!

Caitlyn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I don't want to have a machine close in specs to the iMac because I would be tempted to skimp out on using the iMac for its dedicated tasks and try them on the MacBook.

Plus a 15" MBP and an iMac would be too much.

amacgenius

macrumors 68000
Aug 3, 2005
Buffalo, NY
My Opinion

Caitlyn, you know I've owned many a Mac both desktop and laptops, one of which was a 12" PowerBook, which my now 13.3" MacBook replaced, trust me on this one, don't go back to the PowerBook this late in the game, it's just not worth it, I agree with the opinion that you should pickup one of the new 15" MBPs, that's a worthwhile investment.

But like the title of my reply says, "my opinion".

Caitlyn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
My only concern with a MacBook Pro is that the hard drive will get small quickly. Even if I max it out.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
why don't you get an external hard drive?

I've found from experience, that external hard drives are a pain. The whole idea of a laptop to me is that it's portable. The thing which takes up all the space on my hard drive is my iTunes library, which I don't want to keep on an external HD 1. because it's a pain to have to wait for it to spin up when playing a track which isn't buffered and 2. because when I unplug it, i can't take it with me anywhere.

I saw, save up a bit, and get the iMac, while keeping the MacBook...

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
I'd definetly go with a PowerBook + an iMac. Obviously CPU speed isnt too too much of an issue because you'd be doing your heavy work on the iMac. So, for Music and everything else, You may as well get the powerbook because it's that much smaller, and looks a lot nicer than the macbook imo, plus, you get the better keyboard of the two. Get enough ram tho : )

Dustin

uMac

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2007
Canada
Personally I've gone with the Mac Pro + Portable Option.
Leave all my heavy duty work to the desktop and use a portable (still looking for a used) for when I am away.

Best of Both Worlds.

uMac

mikehokie

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2007
Fairfax, Virginia
Personally I've gone with the Mac Pro + Portable Option.
Leave all my heavy duty work to the desktop and use a portable (still looking for a used) for when I am away.

Best of Both Worlds.

uMac

What is wrong with an external HDD? I mean yes they can run large but you can get slimline ones that hold 300 GB of space. If you make sure your HDD is on before you load your tunes then you won't have as much buffering. It is a desktop replacement and from the sound of the OP I would get a SR MBP. When you're at home use the external hooked up to move large files and whne you need to do work on the go just use the internal HDD. Get the 17" and you can go all the way up to 250 GB of space.

I have a 160 GB HDD and I use a Seagate 400 GB external and it works great. It's older so it is a bit larger, but when I'm on the go the 160 GB HDD works fine. Just copy or move the files you need and you're done.

wyatt23

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2006
Forest Hills, NY
with macbooks getting cheper and cheaper, you could just get a maxed out iMac and either keep you current macbook, or go with a cheaper CD macbook.

you won't be happy with going back in time to the PPC. using the macbook from having an iBook, the speed of os x is NIGHT and DAY.

iToaster

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2007
In front of my MacBook Pro
Just get the SR MBP, it'll last a long time, longer than a PB, and if you need more space on your HD, check out this. I'm going to be getting a top 15" SR MBP, and make it awesome with 4 GB of RAM and have an Apple techie put that HD in for me. While an iMac would be a good choice, they're bound for an update soon, but the MBP just got updated, and a 12" PB isn't going to cut it for much longer (they're aging quite nicely) leopard will support it (right?) but it will soon be too old and slow to do much. Get the MBP, use an external HD or use the one I suggested, avoid the hassle of two computers, as well as an aging PB. Get the cutting edge, it will do you well.

CRAZYBUBBA

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
Toronto/Houston
I second this.

I'd definetly go with a PowerBook + an iMac. Obviously CPU speed isnt too too much of an issue because you'd be doing your heavy work on the iMac. So, for Music and everything else, You may as well get the powerbook because it's that much smaller, and looks a lot nicer than the macbook imo, plus, you get the better keyboard of the two. Get enough ram tho : )

Dustin

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
Just a suggestion but since you have such a large music collection..why not keep the Macbook, and get a large iPod for all your music?

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
for what you want a laptop for the 12" powerbook is definitely enough, and they are great computers. so I would go with the 20" iMac and a 12" powerbook.

Caitlyn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
The thing is, if everyone had the opinion that some of you have, then second-hand Macs would never sell on eBay and such. I know some people who currently own G3 iBooks that still are running fine, one of which is my uncle's girlfriend. Honestly, Macs last a long time and yes, the G4 chip is out of date, but it will be supported by Leopard (according to the Wikipedia tech specs and other online sources) and I think for what I want to do, I could get quite a while out of it.

The main apps I would use on the PowerBook would be OverFlow, Adium, Mail, Safari, iPhoto, NewsFire, Twitterrific and MarsEdit. Maybe a little Quinn too (for when I'm bored at Starbucks). :D

But all of those are not very extensive tasks don't you think?

Now, my next thought is...are new Santa Rosa iMacs really around the corner?

NewSc2

macrumors 65816
Jun 4, 2005
New York, NY
I would go for a MBP. It's convenient having everything in one laptop, instead of sending files back and forth between PB and iMac.

200gb is a lot to max out, and you'd max out your iMac if you're looking to store that much info.

Switched

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2006
This is what I would do if I were you.

Get a 15" MBP with plenty of ram and large HD to store your music on.
Get a large 20" + display (doesn't need to be apple) for home.
Get a large external firewire HD to leave at home and store everything on.

Best of both worlds then :cool:

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
This is what I would do if I were you.

Get a 15" MBP with plenty of ram and large HD to store your music on.
Get a large 20" + display (doesn't need to be apple) for home.
Get a large external firewire HD to leave at home and store everything on.

Best of both worlds then :cool:

I agree with the above. And I own and love the last gen 12" PB, and run the last gen mac mini 1.5ghz with a 23" ADC. In all reality's sake, I could do without the mac mini and just plug my 12" into the screen when at home. But what I end up doing is lugging the 12" everywhere, including the bedroom, and then keeping the adc up and running with the mini all the time.

Caitlyn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I feel like...if I buy a 12" PowerBook, when Apple releases some type of ultra portable in the next year or so (mid-2008 is what I'm thinking) then I can buy that. I think until then, one powerhouse machine and one lightly used machine would be a good combo for me?

More opinions are welcome.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
I think the 12 PB is a great machine, i'm planning on keeping mine a long time untiil the form factor gets smaller on Mac laptops. One thing that I have noticed over the years is that the last model PB 12" and the last model !2" iBook are very comparable -- the iBook actually takes more ram and sometimes runs faster than the PB because of it, tho slightly larger. I've dropped a superdrive and a larger hd in that last model 1.33ghz iBook, and it really is a PB. Anyway, you can't plug a DVI ADC into an iBook, so forget it, and I'm sure I've bored you with my PPC G4 ravings.

Caitlyn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah, I used to use an iBook G4. And while this Core Duo MacBook is much faster, for average tasks, I don't see a speed increase, ya know? The reason I want a PowerBook though is because it's smaller. I need a small laptop for minor things, but need to power for my more daily, extensive things. That's why I really think this setup would work for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.