Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phanboyjohn

macrumors member
Original poster
May 18, 2007
Hi everybody!

I'm getting the Diablo Battle Chest in this week (color me excited), but according to Blizz technical support, Diablo 1 will not play under Mac OS X. Do any of you know any solutions/workarounds? Is there an emulation solution of some kind? Thanks!

IscariotJ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2004
UK
Hi everybody!

I'm getting the Diablo Battle Chest in this week (color me excited), but according to Blizz technical support, Diablo 1 will not play under Mac OS X. Do any of you know any solutions/workarounds? Is there an emulation solution of some kind? Thanks!

You don't say what you're trying to run it on. If it's an Intel Mac, try a VM. It's that old, and undemanding, I can't imagine you'd have much bother running it. If it's PPC, classic?

Xeem

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2005
Minnesota
Even if those workarounds don't pan out, you could always just spend $30 or so and get an older OS 9-equipped Mac if you need to.

phanboyjohn

macrumors member
Original poster
May 18, 2007
Thanks for the replies everyone--I apologize for not specifying my setup: I am using an Intel Mac, a 2.0 GHz MacBook, so running Classic isn't an option for me. Is there a VM out there for classic OSs? What company is it through? VMWare?

why not just play diablo 2?

I definitely plan on playing both--one of my reasons for playing Diablo 1 is that I know (from experience) once I get used to the nice features of Diablo 2, I'll be spoiled and won't want to go back.

IscariotJ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2004
UK
Thanks for the replies everyone--I apologize for not specifying my setup: I am using an Intel Mac, a 2.0 GHz MacBook, so running Classic isn't an option for me. Is there a VM out there for classic OSs? What company is it through? VMWare?

You have a choice of two pieces of software, VMware Fusion, or Parallels Desktop. Fusion is currently a free beta, and $39.99 if you pre-order before it goes GA. I've run it for the past few betas, and it runs quite nicely. Can't really comment on Parallels, I removed it after issues with their support.

I currently run XP in a VM on a 2Ghz CD MacBook, and it runs nicely. I use it to play some of my old titles ( TA, TA: Kingdoms ). It will be more than capable of handling Diablo.

aidanpendragon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2005
To recap:

-Classic won't work since you're running an Intel. Diablo under Classic (on PPC) works poorly or not at all anyway, in my experience.

-You can try SheepShaver. However: it can be confusing to set up (the linked directions @Xeem are pretty good); you need an OS 8 or 9 system folder/disc to run it (NOT downloadable from Apple); and it's pretty unstable for gaming in any case - this on my PPC, which runs it natively.

-The Windows solution. Since the Battle Chest CDs are hybrids, you'll have a PC version to run. However, you'll have to buy a copy of Parallels/VMWare. Why not just do Boot Camp for free? Even then, you'd still need (have to buy?) a copy of Windows XP. A little pricey to run one old game.

Short answer: there's no one solution that's both easy and free, sadly.

I can understand why you'd want to play Diablo, though. #II has more choices, but seems to devolve into a constant flood of A. weak items for your class or B. great items for another class, requiring you to town-portal every 5 minutes to free up space. Diablo really had the formula down of streamlined dungeon crawling, nearly every item an improvement, and click-click-click gaming.

phanboyjohn

macrumors member
Original poster
May 18, 2007
Thank you all for the great replies, and to aid for giving a great rundown. It is frustrating, as I'd like to play both I and II. My major problem now is, of course, disk space--I'd love to set up a 32GB partition on my Mac for Windows, but I really don't have the disk space. Does it work okay if I give it substantially less space, like 20 GB or even less? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

ProstheticHead

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007
Seattle, WA
Diablo 1 ran terribly on my iMac G5 under OSX, so I resorted to jumping on my iMac 333 to relive the past a little.

If you really want to play Diablo 1, I'd take the advice of the poster up there and buy a cheap OS8-9 mac. :D

phanboyjohn

macrumors member
Original poster
May 18, 2007
Diablo 1 ran terribly on my iMac G5 under OSX, so I resorted to jumping on my iMac 333 to relive the past a little.

If you really want to play Diablo 1, I'd take the advice of the poster up there and buy a cheap OS8-9 mac. :D

Haha, I'm glad you still have an old iMac to use. I got lucky and managed to find a package that someone configured of Sheepshaver--at least for now, works like a charm. It won't win any awards or anything, but it lets me play Diablo. 'Nuff said.

aidanpendragon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2005
Haha, I'm glad you still have an old iMac to use. I got lucky and managed to find a package that someone configured of Sheepshaver--at least for now, works like a charm. It won't win any awards or anything, but it lets me play Diablo. 'Nuff said.

Wow...I've had crap luck with trying to run games on that (MW2, Total Annihilation), and on a PPC (no emulation required) no less. Glad you found a solid solution!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.