Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

narzola

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2006
Seattle
10.4.10 Eats brightness control

I updated to 10.4.10 and it also ate my brightness control. Unfortunately, I'm travelling at the moment, or I would be experimenting like crazy to get this fixed. I suspect that all that is needed is to re-copy the LCD definition that I originally used and re-do the switchresx changes. However, since I don't have a 24" DVI monitor handy, I'm just not going to play with things until I get home.

If someone doesn't figure out a solution by Saturday (when I return home), I'll start working on this pronto!

Amuraivel

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2006
I guess no. They might have added an override file for the new 17" panel according to its ProductID and VendorID. For your 15" panel you will need your own one as before.

One guy, for the hackintoshes, on the http://www.osx86project.org site has a download to generate override files from the EDID (sp?) files that you can capture from the windows side. You can then add an override directory to your system directory displays folder. This type of fix should work for regular macintoshes.

whateverandever

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2006
Baltimore
Crap, well at least that gives me a general idea of why the Mac I was setting up to ship out has its brightness control broken :/

Guess it's up to him after I reinstall on what he wants to do about updating.

ukp

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2007
On my system, to fix the brightness problem after upgrading to 10.4.10, I had to copy back /System/Library/Extensions/AppleBacklight.kext from 10.4.9 then reboot.

jrsade

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2006
Brightness Problem under 10.4.10

Well, this morning my screen was very dark. I rebooted. No change. I resetted the PRAM. Black screen.

Will I be able to use an external monitor to get the AppleBacklight.kext replaced?
Don't have the external monitor here right now.

Well, in the meantime I found an external monitor and replaced the file. However, it only works if the external monitor is attached. When I unplug it it's dark again. Resetting PRAM didn't help. Any suggestions?

whateverandever

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2006
Baltimore
Well, in the meantime I found an external monitor and replaced the file. However, it only works if the external monitor is attached. When I unplug it it's dark again. Resetting PRAM didn't help. Any suggestions?

That's strange. Try reinstalling the old kext again. It didn't work for the me the first time.

Faye

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2007
Usual kext update procedures apply:
* run "Fix Permissions" from disk utility.
* rm /System/Library/Extensions.* (not Extensions itself, just .kextcache and .mkext)

reboot to rebuild kext cache.

If you've still got problems, try removing any preferences files which were created/modified just before the problem occurred. These may be in the "ByHost" subdirectory.

You may need to do that as a different user, since they will probably be written on exit with the values they had on start, which for the desktop/finder is all the time you're logged in.

Faye

dsiew81

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2007
Screenies please?

I have been following this thread ravenously as it greatly interests me. However, could I be so bold as to request HD/WUXGA screenshots (Cmd+Shift+3 or something) of the desktop rather than photos of the screen so that non-HD users can more easily see (and drool over) the difference? I know it won't do the quality justice, but it's a start, I guess. :)

TIA,
Danny

whateverandever

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2006
Baltimore
I have been following this thread ravenously as it greatly interests me. However, could I be so bold as to request HD/WUXGA screenshots (Cmd+Shift+3 or something) of the desktop rather than photos of the screen so that non-HD users can more easily see (and drool over) the difference? I know it won't do the quality justice, but it's a start, I guess. :)

TIA,
Danny

Just look at a 23" Apple Cinema display hooked up in an Apple store. Same resolution =p

jrsade

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2006
Usual kext update procedures apply:
* run "Fix Permissions" from disk utility.
* rm /System/Library/Extensions.* (not Extensions itself, just .kextcache and .mkext)

reboot to rebuild kext cache.

If you've still got problems, try removing any preferences files which were created/modified just before the problem occurred. These may be in the "ByHost" subdirectory.

You may need to do that as a different user, since they will probably be written on exit with the values they had on start, which for the desktop/finder is all the time you're logged in.

Faye

That worked for me. Thanks again, Faye.

dsiew81

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2007
Just look at a 23" Apple Cinema display hooked up in an Apple store. Same resolution =p

Hi, I think you might have misunderstood my intentions in asking for the screenshots. I would like to see what a HD 15.4" desktop screen would look like on a standard 15.4" screen. Does that make sense? Thanks. Danny.

bryanus

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2005
That's not exactly possible. If someone takes a screenshot of their desktop with the mod or with the ACD 23" of the same resolution, they will appear to be the same exact size to _you_ on the display that _you're_ using to view it on.

And if someone takes a digital camera picture of their laptop with the mod and some windows open, you will not be able to access the how small things on the desktop would have shrunk in order to fit in the 15.4" physical space.

The only way to get an idea of how this would look in actuality, is to take a screenshot from a 23" (or modded HD MBP), and then shrink that image using Photoshop to fit the dimensions of your current low-res 15.4 MBP.

So if you have time, stop by an Apple store and take a screenshot and email it to yourself, then scale it to fit your MBP.

EDIT: You could also take a screenshot of your current MBP, then create a new image in Photoshop at 1920x1200, and hack a desktop together to fill that size, then shrink it all down to fit your physical screen.

Hi, I think you might have misunderstood my intentions in asking for the screenshots. I would like to see what a HD 15.4" desktop screen would look like on a standard 15.4" screen. Does that make sense? Thanks. Danny.

dsiew81

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2007
That's not exactly possible. If someone takes a screenshot of their desktop with the mod or with the ACD 23" of the same resolution, they will appear to be the same exact size to _you_ on the display that _you're_ using to view it on.

And if someone takes a digital camera picture of their laptop with the mod and some windows open, you will not be able to access the how small things on the desktop would have shrunk in order to fit in the 15.4" physical space.

The only way to get an idea of how this would look in actuality, is to take a screenshot from a 23" (or modded HD MBP), and then shrink that image using Photoshop to fit the dimensions of your current low-res 15.4 MBP.

So if you have time, stop by an Apple store and take a screenshot and email it to yourself, then scale it to fit your MBP.

EDIT: You could also take a screenshot of your current MBP, then create a new image in Photoshop at 1920x1200, and hack a desktop together to fill that size, then shrink it all down to fit your physical screen.

Maybe I'm just not getting it, but I don't understand how that works. I know when I use oversized desktops wallpapers (i.e. 1240x1024 for a 800x600), you can make the oversized image fit to page. From another direct example, assume Finder is the active program on both a 1920x1200 and a 1440x900 screen. The distance (white area) between the "Help" menu and the first of the icons to the right of the menu bar HAS to be different between the two resolutions. Wouldn't this difference be visible on my screen? Obviously, the dock size of both resolutions shouldn't be the same, right? Again, sorry if I'm not quite understanding your post, I will go visit an Apple Store and see if I can find a 23" ACD. Thanks. Danny.

EDIT: Nevermind. I found the screenshots I needed through Google. Sorry to have hijacked the thread.

bryanus

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2005
Here's how to do it. Get the HD screenshot at 1920x1200, take it into Photoshop. Change the Image Size to 13" x 8.125", deselect resample image. Save the image to your desktop.

Open the saved image in Preview, then View>Slideshow, and set the image to actual size. That should give youa pretty good idea of how small things will be.

Maybe I'm just not getting it, but I don't understand how that works. I know when I use oversized desktops wallpapers (i.e. 1240x1024 for a 800x600), you can make the oversized image fit to page. From another direct example, assume Finder is the active program on both a 1920x1200 and a 1440x900 screen. The distance (white area) between the "Help" menu and the first of the icons to the right of the menu bar HAS to be different between the two resolutions. Wouldn't this difference be visible on my screen? Obviously, the dock size of both resolutions shouldn't be the same, right? Again, sorry if I'm not quite understanding your post, I will go visit an Apple Store and see if I can find a 23" ACD. Thanks. Danny.

EDIT: Nevermind. I found the screenshots I needed through Google. Sorry to have hijacked the thread.

joelypolly

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2003
Bay Area
I just got this going on my 1.86

I just got this going on my laptop ... it is absolutly awesome.
This is basically what I did
Installed the panel
Install switchresx with the 56hz override for 1920X1200
Installed files from the zip a few pages back
Ran the permissions and rebooted
and now its works beautifully

bryanus

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2005
What model panel did you install?

And did you use an external display to install SwitchRes?

I just got this going on my laptop ... it is absolutly awesome.
This is basically what I did
Installed the panel
Install switchresx with the 56hz override for 1920X1200
Installed files from the zip a few pages back
Ran the permissions and rebooted
and now its works beautifully

AznAstronaut

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2006
Also looking for a way to find AppleBacklight.kext or Archive.pax.gz after 10.4.10 stole my brightness control (as neither of these appear to be on my hdd). If anyone could post a link or upload a zip file that would be awesome. :D

phox

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2007
FWIW, I now have an OS X install disc that works on my HD MBP. I'll try to find time later to post details. If I forget, feel free to PM me to remind me.

ebynum

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2007
I was actually just looking for some tips on how to replace my cracked LCD when I found this thread ... after reading it for over an hour, I realized that I still haven't found an answer to that original question, though choosing what LCD to get for replacement purposes is going to be more complicated now.

I am replacing the LCD on a 17" (high res) Powerbook (1.67 w/ 1680x1050 original display). I haven't had any problems up to having the display separated from the "computer", but I'm having problems figuring out the best way to "open" the display to get the actual LCD out of the casing ... anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Ed

whateverandever

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2006
Baltimore
I was actually just looking for some tips on how to replace my cracked LCD when I found this thread ... after reading it for over an hour, I realized that I still haven't found an answer to that original question, though choosing what LCD to get for replacement purposes is going to be more complicated now.

I am replacing the LCD on a 17" (high res) Powerbook (1.67 w/ 1680x1050 original display). I haven't had any problems up to having the display separated from the "computer", but I'm having problems figuring out the best way to "open" the display to get the actual LCD out of the casing ... anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Ed

If it's anything like the display casing on the MacbookPro you kinda have to just rip it apart. It's glued and snapped together. There are maybe two screws at the bottom corners but after that it's all glue and snapping.

And yes, it's incredibly scary ripping that thing off.

akraj41

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2007
iSight pinout

Oh and if anyone knows the pinout arrangement for the built in isight I would be very appreciative.

Hi,
I pinned out a built in iSight from a Macbook abnd found the following info:

Pin 1 is the left most (has an chevron pointing to it). LVDS/iSight cable wire color in parenthesis.

Pin 1 (dark blue): connects to a pad on a 6 pin footprint for a chip that is not installed
Pin 2 (dark blue): connects to a pad on a 6 pin footprint for a chip that is not installed
Pin 3 (light blue, white conductor): USB D+
Pin 4 (light blue, purple conductor): USB D-
Pin 5/6 (orange): USB VCC (+5VDC)
Pin 7/8 (orange): USB GND

There is a voltage conversion to +3.3 VDC that occurs on the board for the Cypress USB interface chip.

I was not able to find anything else that connected to Pin 1 & 2.

Pin 3 and 4 connect to a purple and white conductor inside a shielded jacket with light blue insulation.

All wires are coaxial (insulation, foil, braid, insulator, braided signal wire)

That said, plugging this into a USB port on a MacBook Pro does nothing obvious (does not show up in system profiler).The USB Prober program shows this error:

[0x3c0f700] The IOUSBFamily is having trouble enumerating a USB device that has been plugged in.

Followed by message that the enumeration failed.

I tried plugging into a MacMini with a Bootcamp install of XP (in XP) using the iSight driver for XP and get this Windoze message:

USB Device Not Recognized
One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it. For assistance in solving this problem, click this message.

USBlyzer on the Windows install claims that the VID and PID are both 0000, which may be that the ID information is now wiped (or never set) or it might just be the default failed values the program prints to the screen.
Any thoughts?

I am hoping ot use this camera as a head worn webcam to provide a world scene view while walking around.

bryanus

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2005
I hope this mod is still worth doing after all of the hassles involved! I just won an auction for the Samsung panel on eBay, after putting in bids for weeks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.