Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coumerelli

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2003
state of confusion.
Can you talk about Wheels of Zeus?

No. No. It's a real neat idea. I'm real intrigued by it. We've got a great product. It did turn out to be about twice what we thought, in terms of expense and time to make, largely because we got into a big service angle -- instead of the product doing everything as hardware. But it's not going to come out from us.

If I were to talk about what it is, I'd be stepping on some other big company's toes. It's not time yet. Maybe July. It's looking like September to December

Could this 'big company' be Apple?!?:D ;) :p

bombensington

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2002
admittedly, i don't know much about woz...but if the article is anywhere close to how he is in real life...what a cool guy.

he's just so nonchalant about his life. he knows he did something huge, but he's got a great perspective about it. like he doesn't have this big head about it, he knows he didn't cure cancer or anything, he just got to live the life he wanted to live...

i like how he put it about being 6 and asking what he would've wanted his life to become, and knowing that he's fulfilled it all.

cool.

MovieGuy

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2003
Woz puts everything into perspective. I like his thoughts about how Apple is better for being small. Too bad the few of us who actually use Apple computers know that, but we are just better than everyone else! :D Now, Apple....On to taking over the computing world!

No, really, Woz seems really cool and like he understands what computing is about. I liked the article.

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
Not as much fun as the first one, but still great. The guy really has life figured out. For someone who is basically responsible for the PC revolution, he sure seems laid back. He separates hype and reality nicely.

Dan

trebblekicked

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2002
Chicago, IL, USA
Originally posted by alset
Not as much fun as the first one, but still great. The guy really has life figured out. For someone who is basically responsible for the PC revolution, he sure seems laid back. He separates hype and reality nicely.

Dan

i agree. so, woz, what's self actualization really like? :)

seriously, what a cool guy. when i realized i was a true mac geek (and started reading up about the history of the company, etc) it was already post-imac, so the cult of steve was in full swing again. woz was like the other guy from wham! i didn't know anything about him. but the more i read, and the more i hear, he just seems like the kind of role model (<---UH! Cheese:rolleyes:-) we all need.

this interview, like it was said at the top of the thread, a welcome distraction from the rumors. thanks for posting it.

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
Wow I really want to meet him, he sounds so random just like me, dabbling in everything, getting in above your head. I have yet to crash a plane, however there is always time!

AppleMatt

edit: but he's strangely grounded at the same time.

Geap

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2003
Detroit
My claim to fame: I dated his cousin for almost a year in highschool... She was hot too. :D Sadly, I got dumped... she doesn't know what she missed out on.

BernieC

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2002
Woz's comments about Wheels of Zeus and their "service" make me think that perhaps they're responsible for the "Pal." I wouldn't doubt it, especially if Apple's the big company whose toes Woz doesn't want to step on.

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
Opposites attract.

AppleMatt

(or a more serious answer, they probably had very different ideas and persepectives, so put them together and you've got something quite speical)

copperpipe

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2002
Who could possibly post a negative reply!

It seems disrespectful to post a negative reply to this interview. But hey, maybe some people are so wrapped up in themselves that even Woz can't shed them a clue. What a great man to be in the history books of such a great company. He is still in there I think. You can still feel that soul in these computers. And I don't think Steve and him are opposites at all. Steve is different, yeah, but he is coming from an artistic place, his motives are still that this is more than just a dollar making machine. It's still personal. I would say that Bill Gates and Woz are opposites.

cc bcc

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2001
nl
Originally posted by coumerelli
Could this 'big company' be Apple?!?:D ;) :p

I think so too, since most other companies make anouncements years before they actuall ship. If he can't say anything about as product that will be introduced in a couple of months, it just has to be Apple.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
It made me smile just to read that he's happy, content, and doing what he wants to do.

I think the reason the Steves worked well together in creating Apple is that one got his fun from the technology and one got his fun from the business. I think they were like Sony and Cher, Woz/Cher having the most raw skill and Jobs/Sony having the drive and showmanship to create and grow the business. However, both Steves found ways to influence the music world without learning to sing!

tliptak

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2002
My tennis coach lived next to Woz. Gave his wife tennis lessons. My coaches son also went over and had major video game sessions with Woz. His house was filled with arcade games lol...

andyduncan

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2003
Originally posted by trebblekicked
woz was like the other guy from wham!

I'm sure he's flattered.

I'd say it's more like he's the DJ Jazzy Jeff to Job's Fresh Prince.

The Chewbaca to Job's Han Solo.

The Harry to Job's Loyd.

The Q to Job's Bond.

The guy behind the guy.

joesporleder

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2002
Kansas
Woz' Relating to Regular Folks

The thing that has always impressed me with Steve W. is how he isn't afraid to mingle with the regular folks. I was on an iBook list for a while, and he was there too, getting and offering feedback as he was considering an iBook (I think he ended up getting one for his daughter). I don't think Jobs or Gates come down from the clouds often, if at all, to see what the "masses" are up to, do they? :)

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Re: Woz' Relating to Regular Folks

Originally posted by joesporleder
I don't think Jobs or Gates come down from the clouds often, if at all, to see what the "masses" are up to, do they?

They don't seem to, but they should. And if they do, they should do it more often. Woz seems more like a regular guy (a genius, but a regular guy). Look at who Gates had - Ballmer. I'm amazed M$ ever made it (I take that back, look at their shady business practices). Woz would've never stiffed a poor waitress for 6 bucks like Gates did.

Wouldn't it be cool if Apple is that other big, secret company?

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Re: Woz' Relating to Regular Folks

Originally posted by joesporleder
I don't think Jobs or Gates come down from the clouds often, if at all, to see what the "masses" are up to, do they?
Well, Jobs shows up in an Apple Store now and then, but I don't think that counts for much. He's reviewing his troops, not shopping. But at least he dresses casually so you might mistake him for a "normal" person.

laukev7

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2003
It may not be for the reasons we think that famous people such as Jobs don't "come down from the clouds". It may be simply because famous people CANNOT mingle with ordinary people even if they wanted to, because they are easy to recognise. Can you imagine what it would be like to be badgered to confirm the latest Mac rumours every time you go shopping?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.