Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ymilord

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2007
That one thing I noticed no one has mentioned or even tried (the tech analysis that got to play with it)

Can you sync iTunes with iPhone over bluetooth? Or contacts only? Can you access the storage and upload files with it over bluetooth? (My crappy ass RAZR can do that)

Just a thought...

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
That one thing I noticed no one has mentioned or even tried (the tech analysis that got to play with it)

Can you sync iTunes with iPhone over bluetooth? Or contacts only? Can you access the storage and upload files with it over bluetooth? (My crappy ass RAZR can do that)

Just a thought...

You won't be able to sync iTunes songs. With the time it takes to transfer 8GB of songs to my iPod via FireWire, your contract would be up with AT&T by the time the sync was done. (No, really... at 3Mbps max, that gives you ~0.357 megabytes per second via Bluetooth. Ouch!)

Contacts may be a different story, and I hope will be allowed.

ymilord

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2007
Yeah I knew about the bandwidth limitation, but one or two songs (mostly podcasts) Or using it as a wireless jumpdrive per say (i.e. my job releases a pdf with all my job tickets of the week and travel info, I just connect to my RAZR with my MacBook and just dump the files on it that way (200k file) over bluetooth

On a side note - what about podcasts? Do you guys think it can do 'realtime' aka 'live' updates with baby itunes via the WiFi? (or maybe use safari and add the podcast as a RSS feed...But then is the iphone going to allow you to 'store' files you download over the net internally?)

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Yeah I knew about the bandwidth limitation, but one or two songs (mostly podcasts) Or using it as a wireless jumpdrive per say (i.e. my job releases a pdf with all my job tickets of the week and travel info, I just connect to my RAZR with my MacBook and just dump the files on it that way (200k file) over bluetooth

On a side note - what about podcasts? Do you guys think it can do 'realtime' aka 'live' updates with baby itunes via the WiFi? (or maybe use safari and add the podcast as a RSS feed...But then is the iphone going to allow you to 'store' files you download over the net internally?)

My Nokia 6256i also allows me to 'browse' via Bluetooth. Not sync via iTunes, but it might allow for similar functionality. (Wireless file transfer)

macftw

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2007
Hm, no responses to this yet?

Short answer: at this time, you can "pair" your iPhone with your Mac, but after that, you can't do ANYTHING. Yepp, that's right. Nothing, nada.

I certainly hope this will change.

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
Using the iphone as a data device definitely needs to be addressed. I don't mind emailing myself files so I can view them (word, pdfs, etc), but it would make it much easier to sync them or BT transfer them.

Still loving it though, although the attention at time can be annoying.

rikers_mailbox

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2003
LA-la-land
Short answer: at this time, you can "pair" your iPhone with your Mac, but after that, you can't do ANYTHING.

Besides BT pairing, iSync can detect the iPhone but will not connect to it. Lame.

Can I please have a way to retreive pictures from my camera roll? :confused:

Attachments

• Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 723

whiskynwhisky

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2009
i would say its quite possible

its quite possible to do more then what apple allows you to do with iphone over the bluetooth but then you might need to install new bluetooth stack on your phone. (ie roqybt). which will for example allow iphone classic (2g) users to use external gps devices or browse the contents of their windows/mac computers.

if you google for iphone bluetooth stack or roqybt i am sure you can find more details about it.

nehunte

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2009
From my perspective, you probably won't see any kind of bluetooth syncing until Apple gives up on Mobile Me. That's the only wireless syncing they want to see their users use for now because it pads their wallets. However, I'm no expert and bluetooth syncing could be just around the corner.

gr8whtd0pe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2008
Dallas, NC
its quite possible to do more then what apple allows you to do with iphone over the bluetooth but then you might need to install new bluetooth stack on your phone. (ie roqybt). which will for example allow iphone classic (2g) users to use external gps devices or browse the contents of their windows/mac computers.

if you google for iphone bluetooth stack or roqybt i am sure you can find more details about it.

You do realize that this thread is 2 years old right?

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
If anyone from 2007 has come into the future to read this, here are your modern answers.

1) Contacts and Calendars
Apple offers mobile me for over the air syncing of contacts and calendars.

It's $100 a year, so I'm not defending them, mind you. I'm just telling you what Apple's answer would be if you asked them. So it's possible, it's just not free.

2) iPhone as a Virtual Hard Drive
You have 2 options here:

There are a ton of 'virtual drive' apps that work over wifi. That's far faster than bluetooth would be. I use the one named 'Files.'

Even better, get a free Dropbox account online and get the Dropbox app for your iPhone. Then you don't even have to be on the same network.

3) iTunes Things
No way around this one. No 3rd party app can put stuff in the iPod app so, yeah, you're stuck with USB cables for this.

kingbumfluff

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2010
It's "voilà" - even without the accent you got it wrong!

I also wanted bluetooth sync with iTunes so I can leave it syncing while I'm wirelessly using the notebook, without needing to have a hanging usb cord.

But it's not currently possible.

With jailbreak you can use bluetooth to transfer files, but that's not the point.

I just hope someone can correct me, in a way like I'm correcting the next guy . . . :p

While I find that software very interesting, except for the fact it doesn't have a mac version, what exactly does it have to do with the topic (syncing over bluetooth)?

Plus, it's voialà, yet another french word.

scottdlombard

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2007

Just a thought...

Nope! not via Bluetooth...Not yet anyway
although there is a great option for jailbroken users! Its called WI-FI Sync.. wired and its fairly quick. (depending on the speed of your internet connection.) I was able to do just about 8GB in just under 1 and a half hours. (normally takes about 1hr)

check it out! it can be purchased in the cydia store for 9.99 , or from the xsellise repo for free!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.