Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The wait for the iPhone is almost over, and fans are beginning to congregate at Apple and AT&T stores. The line here at the Apple Store Clarendon began at 8:15pm last night and has grown to a couple hundred people.

I got here at around 12pm today after an anxious work-morning (I didn't get too much done). Just a few minutes ago, Apple closed the store and began preparing for what is sure to be a fun night.

iPhoneSetup1_300.jpg

iPhoneSetup2_300.jpg

Apple has also been aware of the crowd, and has graced us with bottled water (which may be a moot gesture, as it has started to rain).

iPhoneWater_500.jpg

Blake from iPodHacks.com gets some water from an Apple Store employee

We have heard that the iPhones have indeed arrived under armed guard (as rumored). All in all, the excitement is building towards when we will all get our first iPhones.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
wow. this is almost turning out to be bigger than i originally thought.

tonight will be insane i'm sure.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
What is the current time over there? (The latest, so East Coast)

Just wondered how long it would b before user reports come in

rikahlberg

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2007
I'm in the line at the ATT store at Washington and School streets in Boston's downtown crossing. There are about 50 in line here and another bunch down the street at another ATT store. It's funny to see all the folks in line pecking away at their BlackBerries.Channel 7 news was just here shooting some footage. Less than an hour to go!

Karpfish

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2006
40 mintes until east coasters get their hands on them! There is a total of one guy chillin' out outside the nearest AT&T store(Westwood village,LA).

tonobrunel

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2007
Nice Job

What you dont know is that those water bottles are not just filled with water, they have a special chem ical that makes you get even more excited about the iphone than you are know and makes people around you feel the saem hahahaha lol.
Anyway, all those of you that manage to get an iphone today congratulations, i'll probably get mine later, once i see one at work.

fosters2

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2007
No wait in Wilmington Delaware

There is absolutely no wait at the Apple store in Wilmington, Delaware. And, there is no sales tax either!

I walked right in at 6:30pm EST and bought 2 8GB iPhones. They had a huge pile of them stacked against the wall.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
Just got back, a few hours ago, from the Apple Store (Kenwood Mall) in Cincinnati. :apple:
There were more than 100 people in line. I was #5 : )
The Apple employees were very nice. Not only did they hand out bottled water (came out frequently to pass them out too) but we got Apple key chains with a flashlight. Checkout was speedy and efficient. Iit was a very pleasant experience and the iPhone is GREAT! I'm very pleased with my purchase and considering I paid $499.99 when the Razr came out . . . this new smart phone was well worth the price paid :D

val-holla

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2007
baton rouge?
Just got home from buying mine (and dinner!) from an AT&T store Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

I actually didn't get off of work until 5:30, but a friend waited in line for me. There was beer and laughter. The lined didn't last for long. By the time 6:40 rolled around, the store had already sold out.

Now if I could only get the damn thing activated.

njfuzzy

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2004
Boston, MA
Apple Store customers were lucky

I was number 68 in line at an AT&T store in Cambridge (MA). A bit more than half way through the line (well, the part in front of me), the 8 GB models sold out. That suggests similar stocks to reports of 60 total at the Wall Street store.

I waited in line for an hour and a half. Why does it take 90 minutes to sell ~30 phones? Because they were doing a credit check for Every. Single. Person. Even though it isn't required to do it in advance. I assume it has to do with a cut of the contract.

I waited in line for an hour and a half, and I wasn't the only one. Why did they let 100 people stand in line for 60 phones? Because they wanted us all to order iPhones for delivery from them, not elsewhere. I assume it has to do with a cut of the phone.

AT&T sales guys wanting their cut of everything made this a poor experience from me. I ordered my 8 GB iPhone tonight from the online Apple store, quoting 2-4 weeks delivery.

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
I was number 68 in line at an AT&T store in Cambridge (MA). A bit more than half way through the line (well, the part in front of me), the 8 GB models sold out. That suggests similar stocks to reports of 60 total at the Wall Street store.

I waited in line for an hour and a half. Why does it take 90 minutes to sell ~30 phones? Because they were doing a credit check for Every. Single. Person. Even though it isn't required to do it in advance. I assume it has to do with a cut of the contract.

I waited in line for an hour and a half, and I wasn't the only one. Why did they let 100 people stand in line for 60 phones? Because they wanted us all to order iPhones for delivery from them, not elsewhere. I assume it has to do with a cut of the phone.

AT&T sales guys wanting their cut of everything made this a poor experience from me. I ordered my 8 GB iPhone tonight from the online Apple store, quoting 2-4 weeks delivery.

You are wrong. They did a credit check on everyone creating a new line or account, because thats how a new cell phone line or contract works. Existing customers did not have to do a credit check.

It took that long because the systems were down and it was taking 5+ minutes to process a credit or debit card.

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
I just ordered mine from the apple store online, I had a $100 coupon that expires tomorrow so the timing was perfect. I ordered the 8GB one.

hgraphics

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2007
Houston, TX
The Woodlands, TX

Was at the Woodlands Mall north of Houston.

Got there at 5:50 PM.

Long line inside the mall. Confused mall shoppers.

Since I wasn't in line to buy one they let me and my daughter in as soon as they opened the doors.

Walked straight to the iPhone table and started using it.
It even let me make phone calls.
This thing works great!
Internet browsing is not that great.
Too much Flash and other HokusPokus out there.

My 6-year old girl played with this thing for over an hour !!

We had a good time.

I'll probably wait for v.2. :D

rikahlberg

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2007
You are wrong. They did a credit check on everyone creating a new line or account, because thats how a new cell phone line or contract works. Existing customers did not have to do a credit check.

It took that long because the systems were down and it was taking 5+ minutes to process a credit or debit card.

It took that long because the ATT employees insisted on doing the credit checks. I was a new customer, I said I didn't want a credit check, and I was out of the store in under two minutes while the people who had been in front of me in line were still at the counter. The credit card processing only took a few seconds. The salesperson had to write down the serial number, my zip code and other random info on a paper log. This was at the ATT store at Washington near School in Downtown Crossing (Boston, MA).

I'm sure there were other reasons for delays in the stores, but the complete lack of communication from the ATT store to the people in line was striking. At no point in the two hours I was in line did any employee communicate with the customers in line. Too bad, since they had a captive audience and could have built some good will. Next time I'll go direct to Apple.

Doktor Moo

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2007
Arkansas
Started off Bad... but

I have been lurking here for far too long and thought I would add my experience that just ended. I cannot add a new thread and hope that this is OK to post here. I waited like everyone else. The AT&T store in Rogers, AR got things moving quickly. I was number 42 in line and got an 8G iPhone around 6:30PM Central. Very excited. Brought it home and went through the activation. The sync with my contacts from my Treo did not work despite paying $14 for the jumpdrive/service. My experience turned for the worst when the screen on Notes or other BRIGHT screens showed a very noticible defect. The luminescence is "spotty" and overly bright in certain areas. I was not pleased. :(

Got back in the store and showed the AT&T manager at about 9:15 PM. This was the first, and so far only defective iPhone they had (about 80 total sold here at that location). They did not know what to do, but jumped all over it. They gave me a service number. I politely asked if they would call. After about a 10 minute hold, we got an Apple iPhone service person. They too had not experienced this. We tried a MASTER RESET (Holding down the bottom and topside buttons and releasing them after the Apple logo appeared). That did not work. The AT&T and Apple folks (Wade and Stephen) were great. They closed at 10:00 PM Central and stayed open with just me until midnight. Stephen at Apple explained how they would need to send me a new one (2nd day) and pay for the shipping of my defective unit back to Apple. He even called me later to ensure I had all of the relevant information.

The phone functions great, except for the overly active "spots." It really is a thing of beauty. Bottom line, no company makes perfect products 100% of the time. What separates the best from the average is how they handle adversity. AT&T and Apple did their best to resolve the situation. Apple already has a customer for life in me (3 Macs, Apple TV and a few Ipods) prior to the iPhone. AT&T now has a new long term customer in me as well.
:)

penguino

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2006
Key Biscayne, FL
Miami

Turned out Miami had enough units to go around -- would have helped a lot of people if Apple had simply indicated how many they had per store. When you hear that 300 people are in line and can buy up to 2 iPhones, a rumor that there are only 500 units per Apple Store gets your attention.

In the end, it looked like about 60% of the first-day crowd were buying two units and 80% or more took the 8GB. I would estimate they sold 700+ iPhones at The Falls yesterday evening -- with accessories, they must have rung up $500,000 in sales there. Sweet!

The line at The Falls (South Miami) reached 200 by 4pm and 300-325 just before 6pm. People were moved into the store in groups of 10-50, at an average pace of around 2 per minute. Once in the store it took another 20-30 minutes to wind through the line inside the store. The Apple Store were helpful and in high spirits.

If you had a laptop with you, it was possible to activate right in the store which a number of buyers did. From opening the box to activation of the iPhone took less than 5 minutes. I actually received my first call while I was still in the store. :)

The activation screens were a cinch. The only hitch I had was that the iPhone did not import all my Entourage mailing accounts. I did have to go to the help pages to figure out how to navigate "Settings" to add accounts that had not been imported. But otherwise the imports worked great.

I did not find the EDGE network slow. As one other Forum member mentioned, as long as the page loads faster than one reads, it really is fine. That was my experience. Typing was not a problem, except I found the intelligent keyboard struggles with email addresses because they are often so counter-intuitive. Long-term I don't know if this is a problem but I did struggle with typing when I was adding email accounts.

The call volume was OK, not great, but it was pandemonium at the Apple Store and the staff was using megaphones, so that is probably the culprit.

Having used the web browser, mail and phone functions so far, I have to say that it already has blown away my expectations. The sync functionality puts Palm to shame -- it is the fastest sync I have ever seen and its ability to sync out multiple email addresses, handle voice mail, and take up practically no space on my desk while docked with the laptop has me seriously questioning this morning whether I need my legacy office land-line. The screen resolution and deletion is so easy on the iPhone that it's a pleasure to receive email on a mobile device for the first time ever.

Private Sector

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2007
Typing was not a problem, except I found the intelligent keyboard struggles with email addresses because they are often so counter-intuitive. Long-term I don't know if this is a problem but I did struggle with typing when I was adding email accounts.

fortunately enough, you should only have to type each email one time, so it's not that bad.

Europe calling

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007
The Netherlands
Can we please have a separate thread on the European version of iPhone?

Very nice, all that hype in America, activation issues, AT&T etc, etc, etc...http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/eek.gif
I (and the other half of the globe) am very interested in how the iPhone will adapt to european standards when it arrives here.
While you Americans test version 1.0 of iPhone, what will we get?http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/wink.gif
Will Vodafone the one and only provider indeed? Will Stevie give us 3G?, Voicedialling? That sort of stuff.

Any other people from europe using the macrumors forum?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.