Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wowser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2004
Inglaterra, Europa
Just picked this up second-hand, and was a bit reluctant as I've heard about lock-up bugs with the game. Well, so far, no lock-ups, but not since Advance Wars have the hours slid by so quickly. This thing is DS crack! Very addictive, but also quite tough (but easier than Advance Wars, and less frustrating).

Anybody else a fan? And have any tips to share?

I play it the way I would the PC version, but I'm guessing I should be using different tactics.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Easier than Advance Wars you say? Might have to look into this :) I'd love to really get absorbed into AW but find it too difficult at times... which is strange because I'm great at chess.

wowser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2004
Inglaterra, Europa
Yeah, it actually reminds me a lot of chess when I'm playing it.
I got massively absorbed in Advance Wars, but never have I found a game so frustrating in my life.

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
Advance Wars wasn't too hard for me. I really don't like the DS battles where the ally AI controls one battlefield while you battle it out on the other battlefield. Here's to hoping we see a sequel soon with WiFi support.

I think I should try AoE. I'm going to Toys R' Us to hopefully exchange my DS Web Browser for an actual game.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Freaky :eek: that was the last game we got from there too. A present from my new born sister (though how she managed to get to Toys R Us is a mystery to me ;) )

Igantius

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2007
Best tip I've got is save often! I played it for a while with no problems, but blam! The dreaded freeze/lock-out problem!!! Not saying that it will happen to you but I thought it wouldn't with me!

Regular saving helps, but I did need to restart a mission once as whatever I did whenever I loaded, it still crashed. Hasn't happened too much to me - although it's been admittedly annoying, it's been a small price to pay!

The only other tip I've got is if you can get into a good defensive position, you can overcome a much larger enemy force with perseverance... and a lot of patience. I wasn't too keen on crossbowmen at first, but as I went on I was more and more won over!

There's a few decent online guides (albeit incomplete), haven't really used them but they seemed pretty good.

Overall, I think AOE is a great game - wouldn't say I prefer it over AW, as they've both got their own strengths.

wowser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2004
Inglaterra, Europa
Yeah, the crossbowmen and skirmishers are excellent. I'm stuck on the first level of the Japanese story thing.

Re the lock-up, what username are you using, Igantius (or is the clue in the question?)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.