Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

john2006wright

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
UK
Is it possible to hook up external speakers for the MacBook? If so, what do people recommend?

Thanks.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
The Creatures aren't anything special. In fact, you'll never get anything particularly decent when it comes to 2.1 speakers. If style is what you want though, I recommend the Sound Sticks. They're the best that I've heard around that price range...

kinesin

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2006
If your on a budget check out the logitech X210, £20 at the moment online (amazon) and instore at staples. Amazing little things for the price :D

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
Remember that until Apple releases a patch/fix for OS X 10.4.10, they will pop every few seconds when connected to the laptop, which is very irritating after a while...

apfel

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2007
I can recommend the speakers from Audioengine. They are a bit more expensive but they are exceptional. I had a few problems when I got them delivered but the customer service was excellent and I am now very happy with them.

jayeskreezy

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2005
altec lansing has the best speakers hands down...if you can find some of those with some subs then you're in business...I picked up a brand new set for $1 (had some coupons, but they were marked down to $25) at office depot yesterday...their bass and quality are always superb IMO

parkinni

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2007
So would the JBL Creature II 2.1 speakers that apple sell be a good purchase? I want them for watching movies and listening to music (not gaming)
John: I just went through the exact same thing last month, and ended up getting a white pair of brand new JBL Creature 2's from Buy.com for $35 ($45 - $10 Google Checkout coupon + free Budget shipping). I had them in 4 days and couldn't be happier. Yes, there are much better sounding speakers out there than this (maybe the SoundSticks?), but they also cost 3 times as much, or even more.

I've mainly used the Creatures for listening to iTunes music/radio/podcasts and they sound great. Sure, the mid-range is a little lacking, but at the Buy.com price, you are essentially getting a $100 speaker system for a third of the price.

IMHO, it all works best with the sub-woofer on the floor, while keeping the small satellites on your desk. Plus, they look really good with the white MacBook I have.

I also hooked them up to my HDTV, and was very impressed. The only downside is that they aren't remote-controlled for the volume......otherwise I'd be buying another set!

To sum up, the first time my girlfriend heard them, she got straight on my Mac and ordered the Aluminum-coloured ones for her HP desktop.

Give them a try. I don't think you'll regret it.

- Nigel

Xeem

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2005
Minnesota
Creature speakers sound very good, and they add a bit of style to your desk. I would say that they are probably the best speakers one can get for the money, as they can be found cheap if you shop around a bit. Of course, there are many better speakers out there, but you'd have to go over $100 to get them, which just isn't worth it for most people (creatures can be found for about $50 online).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.