Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

point665

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2004
This was one kinda major thing that we bought the iPhones for, I mean we didnt depend on it but it was a "hey now we can replace blackberrys"... And where is it?

@@$%@#^$&^&$%%E$@#$!@

Other than that and Gmail screwing around - things are good with the iPhones (knock on wood, like rotten wood or something)

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
This was one kinda major thing that we bought the iPhones for, I mean we didnt depend on it but it was a "hey now we can replace blackberrys"... And where is it?

@@$%@#^$&^&$%%E$@#$!@

Other than that and Gmail screwing around - things are good with the iPhones (knock on wood, like rotten wood or something)

First, use your mac to set up a new yahoo account if you have not already.

Then go to Settings->Mail->Add Account -> Yahoo

p.s. make sure you enter your whole yahoo account (i think myname@yahoo.com) not just myname... i think.

Jody

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2005
Its been working for me.

I've actually set yp my gmail to forward to my new yahoo account. That setup seems to be working out really well actually.

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
Nothing yet. Not sure what the prob. is. I do know I need to adjust my mail settings though on my mac. I am getting errors on sending from my account that was fine this morning.

Jody

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2005

I think so. The messages just appear a few minutes after sending. And there is no option to set the account check interval so I am assuming the IMAP is working

As well all deletes messages are automatically updated in the yahoo web interface so I assume the IMAP is working.

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
shrugs.

Maybe it has to do with my ATT phone service not working yet on my iphone?

everything else works...just no phone service yet.

(i am switching from tmobile.)

defeated

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2007
I think so. The messages just appear a few minutes after sending. And there is no option to set the account check interval so I am assuming the IMAP is working

As well all deletes messages are automatically updated in the yahoo web interface so I assume the IMAP is working.

damn. I am paying separate yahoo mail and only get POP,

point665

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2004
Alright wow, seems to work. Thanks guys - wish it was a bit more "advertised".

sir42

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2003
NY, NY
I also want to forward an email account (my .mac account) to the free Yahoo IMAP in order to receive push email. Is there a way to setup the Yahoo account on my iPhone so that it looks like the messages I send from it are coming from my .mac account?

I do this on my treo and it works great.

joelcsf

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
Bay Area
My iPhone isn't playing ball here: when it's been on sleep/standby for < 1min (approx - very approx) and an email drops into my yahoo mailbox, it beeps and lets me know.

When it's been on sleep/standby for greater than that, it doesnt notify me :(

Meh

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
I also want to forward an email account (my .mac account) to the free Yahoo IMAP in order to receive push email. Is there a way to setup the Yahoo account on my iPhone so that it looks like the messages I send from it are coming from my .mac account?

I do this on my treo and it works great.

... I need this to... does it work?

azhagan

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2007
Quick question...

Is there anyway to send from another email address in Yahoo like in gmail?

joelcsf

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
Bay Area
Quick question...

Is there anyway to send from another email address in Yahoo like in gmail?

From the Yahoo web interface this is possible - although I _THINK_ you might need a Mail Plus account*.

From the iPhone this does not appear possible. Even tho my default "from" address in the web interface is "fred@somewhereotherthanyahoo.com", it always sends from "fred@yahoo.com" when I use the iPhone...

* I don't know that for sure. I have Mail Plus.

Stngray

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2007
Goodyear, AZ
I was able to add the push email account directly on the iPhone, but it doesn't sync up with mail on my Mac. How can I add this on to mail.app (if i can at all), or get it to sync up?

azhagan

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2007
From the Yahoo web interface this is possible - although I _THINK_ you might need a Mail Plus account*.

From the iPhone this does not appear possible. Even tho my default "from" address in the web interface is "fred@somewhereotherthanyahoo.com", it always sends from "fred@yahoo.com" when I use the iPhone...

* I don't know that for sure. I have Mail Plus.

That is quite disappointing...

I haven't been able to find that option anyway you can walk me through the menu structure where I will find it.

neven

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2006
Portland, OR
I was able to add the push email account directly on the iPhone, but it doesn't sync up with mail on my Mac. How can I add this on to mail.app (if i can at all), or get it to sync up?

I was able to get it to work on iPhone, but not in Apple Mail. D'oh.

iprincess

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2007
yahoo is not providing imap, just imap for the iphone.
call and complain and tell them to add imap for all of their mail accounts

yahoo really just needs to support imap and the problem would be solved. i am really angry they have not enabled push on their small business accounts that are paid, when it's functional for free accounts. it doesn't make sense that they offer imap push for iphone only? if you feel like calling them and complaining about their lack of imap support for desktop computers, call: 800-318-0783
feature-request@yahoo-inc.com

the cs rep said that they usually comply if enough people request a feature. he did not know about the imap. i am sure it is imap, the server for the iphone is imap.apple.mail.yahoo.com. i can't imagine people haven't been requesting this feature for the ages, but i guess now that it is available strictly for iphone yahoo mail users free of charge it is baffling why paid users and full imap are not available. even if it were for an additional fee. the ability to have perfectly synchronized computers across multiple devices is priceless.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/323113/

somberlaine

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2007
Fairfax, VA
Yahoo "push" Testing

Hi everyone, I did some unscientific testing of Yahoo's "push" email and here are the results. Note that these tests were conducted over WIFI and my iphone mail auto-check setting was set to Manual.

1. I sent an email from my ISP account (comcast) to my yahoo address. It arrived to the iphone in less than a minute.

2. I sent an email from my ISP account to the same address. My ISP address is set up to forward any emails to my yahoo address. Again, It took less than a minute.

This all sounds good to me. I have yet to do the same testing over EDGE. I am assuming that it will take longer.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
Can you set up your mail for Yahoo IMAP in an external Mail application, too? Is it free? I do not see a way to set up Yahoo Mail on something like MacOS X Mail or Windows' Outlook? Anyone know?

Edit: sorry, not sure how i missed it up there :p

double0jimb0

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2007
The IMAP address is imap.apple.mail.yahoo.com as posted above. I was unsuccessful with configuring Outlook for the yahoo imap account, tried all sorts of combinations of SSL, etc.. It would connect to the server, ask for user name and password, but then would not accept the user name and password.

If someone could figure out how to access the yahoo imap from anything besides the iPhone, it would be incredibly useful.

I am no expert, but I figure there has got to be a way if the iPhone can connect, so why not a dedicated mail program like Outlook, right?
To the email protocol gurus: lets get on this!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.