Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mashoutposse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 13, 2003
OK, we've spent the dough, activated our phones, and played with the darn things for a few hours. I think most will agree that, while the iPhone is an awesome product, it is very much "Version 1.0" in many respects. As early adopters/beta testers, we need to let Apple know what's going on with their groundbreaking product in the REAL world.

Clearly list the features, upgrades, and fixes that Apple needs to get onto our iPhones through subsequent updates. Again, stick to issues that can reasonably be expected to be resolved via SOFTWARE. Let's also keep the trolling, arguments, and damage control to a minimum here.

I'll go first:

The Mail application needs to be revamped. It desperately needs a "Mark all as read/unread" button. There needs to be a way to consolidate all of the inboxes a la every other email client ever. GMail service should match Yahoo service -- i.e. realtime sync with the web.

Magnification glass sometimes goes halfway offscreen and is impossible to read. Self-explanatory; make this so that the viewing area never get cropped at the edges of the screen.

Addendum (Thanks tkjazzer and iansilv):

It is important to ensure that we have an audience at Apple. Please send your feedback directly to Apple: http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

When submitting your feedback, please make sure to copy and paste into the form a link to this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/322785/

jamesarm97

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
1) eWallet like app to store private / important info under encryption and password. I use it work account numbers and such.
http://www.iliumsoft.com/site/ew/ewallet.htm
2) Needs Notes syncing, it will be hell trying to type all of the notes I need.
3) No file manager / syncing. Would be nice to throw on some pdfs / docs I need for work to read when I am on the road.
4) Can't change the alert tones for the various things such as Voicemail / SMS / Calendar events.
5) Needs Cut & Paste. see below for thoughts on how to.
6) Can't send attachments or photos from email, you have to find the photo first, then email it.
7) Each Email account need to each have their own polling settings. I want to check work every 30 minutes, home 1 / hour, and my wife's manually.
8) If it does not have it, repeat notifications on missed SMS / Voicemail. I think it only vibrates once / plays tone. If it is another room you will not know until you use your phone next.

Here is a thought on text Cut/Paste, based on how I have my macbook pro's track pad setup. You know how if you hold down your finger on the iPhone it will show a magnifying glass to help in positioning the cursor? Since you are probably already holding the phone in one hand using the other to move the glass, have it detect if your thumb touches the bottom of the screen while you are moving the cursor (since it has multi-touch) and that would cause it to then highlight the letters under the cursor instead of just moving the cursor. Then you let go and the text is highlighted. Next you hold your finger on the highlighted text and it will show a popup that allows you to Copy / Cut / Paste (this part is how the Windows Mobile works).

- James

mkstewartesq@co

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
SMS stuff that is standard on most of even of the cheapest phones:

1. When sending texts, I like to keep the character length at 160 or less so it doesn't count as two texts each for me and the recipient (some people don't like to be debited for two texts). Most phones have a counter that let you know how many characters your text contains before you send it?

2. Reminder function on this thing. For example, on my other phones, if a text came in and I did not hear it, the phone would vibrate or ring about every 5 minutes thereafter to alert/remind me.

3. A way to turn off this "iChat-view" thing where all texts are treated as if they were one long series of replies to one original message. On a related note, is it really "clear all messages from this sender at once" or else? With respect to a given sender, I like to delete the "disposable" "see you later" replies while keeping the ones with information I need to keep.

Mike

joelk

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2007
so far I'm missing the blinking led on my blackberry that would indicate a new email or SMS when u miss it and the phone screen is powered off. i realize that an LED is hardware but maybe there is a power efficient way of optionally enabling a simulated LED in a corner of the screen to serve this purpose?

Also wish double space were a period

Really very happy and fully expect updates that will continue to enhance the experience.

marjen

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
Need to be able to sync songs individually like I do with my other iPods. I do not like playlists!

tttexxan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
I have been reading so many threads bitching bitching bitching....

My daughter just grad my phone and attempted to go to cub penguin---She said, "Hey whats wrong"----So I gues Im stating as number 1. Needs Flash :>)

2.Auto correct goes on and off when typing at times...

Really happy also so no worries so far....Still trying things out but working great! All these complaints will take time....Just think when the second and third generations come out...WOW this things is going to rock

mashoutposse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 13, 2003
Great feedback; lots of little things that I didn't even think about.

There should be a landscape mode for every app for which it makes sense. Both viewing area and keyboard. Email should be number one on the "needs landscape mode" list.

mkstewartesq@co

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
This is a great thread - hope someone at Apple is watching.

- Ability to lock individual apps. All of my other phones (at least the Motorola ones) had the ability to lock certain apps like photos, messaging etc. on an individual basis as the user saw fit As I see it now, even if I have a passcode for the general "unlock", once I unlock the phone - say, to let a friend make a call - they now have the ability to see my mail, my photos, my texts, etc.

M

tttexxan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
ive noticed this as well ...

Yeah not sure what is up with that...Maybe its my language skills and gets so disgusted it doesnt want to play:D..Anyway I just focus more and play nice..Its better than my Razor

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
8) If it does not have it, repeat notifications on missed SMS / Voicemail. I think it only vibrates once / plays tone. If it is another room you will not know until you use your phone next.

Make that optional please, my dad's phone does that and it is proper annoying. I will answer the bloody thing when I have time to answer it.

WillJS

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2007
  • Phone functionality while using EDGE
  • A longer vibration when receving a TXT
  • When charging a charge animation on the screen like on the iPods (to make sure it is charging)
  • Select ringtone (custom)

I'll edit these as I come up with more. :)

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
- custom ringtones
- louder volume system wide
- ichat client
- revamp mail so i can use gmail (check mail every 1 minute since PUSH Gmail isn't available)
- Flash on the browser

eddietr

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2006
Virginia
I thought that the fact that you can't make or receive a voice call and data connection at the same time is inherent to GSM/EDGE.

I would love to see a double tap on the spacebar to end a sentence, insert period, and space. (like blackberry)

thomasfxlt

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2005
Need a "period" on the main keyboard screen. They could revamp the spacebar line to squeeze one in. I suppose once all of the apps. work in landscape mode, it will be there.

carfac

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
It doesn't mean they can't use edge to pop up an alert to terminate and check your voicemail or something... anything... better than missing an important call. This phone can't be used at all in a business environment.

I was thinking a little multi-color led light for alert... say red for phone, blue for voicemail, purple for email or something... like a crackberry.

Maybe even more ideal would be a pop up with the number calling on the screen.

+1 on landscape on all apps... e-mail especially.

eddietr

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2006
Virginia
It doesn't mean they can't use edge to pop up an alert to terminate and check your voicemail or something... anything... better than missing an important call. This phone can't be used at all in a business environment.

Interesting. How do other phones that are used in a business environment handle this? I can't remember what used to happen on my blackberry if I was browsing via edge and someone tried to call. I should pop this SIM into that and try.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
iPod (ie. music playback) crashes often for me when I try to listen to music while while using Safari. I haven't seen anyone else reporting this though, so maybe it's just me?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.