Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ppc_michael

Original poster
Apr 26, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I'm thinking about selling my original iBook G3 (blueberry) on eBay. It has all the original software and the original packaging. A few scuffs on the blue part, but that's about it.

How much do you think I would get for it? I wouldn't want to sell it if I only get 10 bucks or something. :D

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
One of the beautiful things about Macs is their resale value. I just bought the iBook in my sig for $254 on eBay (before shipping), and I was looking at all of the G3 iBooks and Pismos of that time. All iBooks from around then go for about $250, and with AirPort card almost always hit $300 (I got lucky, however!). Happy selling!

Edit: Hmm. Clamshell with packaging and disks... When you say 'original', do you mean Apple's first release or your first purchase? Okay, clamshells like that are more around the area of $180 to $240, but AirPort can push that up as everyone wants an original AirPort card. :D

ppc_michael

Original poster
Apr 26, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Whoa, that's surprising! Thanks!

I've never sold anything on eBay before, so are there any tips you can give me as to the preparation for the computer? I can figure out the actual selling/shipping part myself, but I mean like formatting the hard disk, etc? What I've done is reformatted the hard disk and freshly installed OS 9 and all the apps included on the discs, so it's just like when I got it. I am also charging the battery to 100%. Anything else I should do?

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
That's good that you know that, and I can't think of anything else to do. Again, AirPort plays a BIG part in that last 50-60 dollars on your machine, and having the original box always promotes a premium. But you did the right thing hard drive-wise.

ppc_michael

Original poster
Apr 26, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
That's good that you know that, and I can't think of anything else to do. Again, AirPort plays a BIG part in that last 50-60 dollars on your machine, and having the original box always promotes a premium. But you did the right thing hard drive-wise.

I do have an Airport card, so that's good. :) Oh there's something: when I bought the iBook, the Airport card came separately, and I installed it. Should I take it out and put it in its own box (I have that too :D) or leave it in?

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
Naw, leave it in! Not having to open a freshly-purchased computer and attempt to install a component with (possibly) no hardware experience is a relief to someone who wants full functionality out of the box (basically, anyone who's used to Macs...). But if you want to, send the AirPort box and papers with it (mention that in your description as an almost throwaway comment, but prominently enough that serious bidders are impressed by it). I look forward to seeing how much you get for this.

divedeepfl305

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2007
Beware of Non-Paying Bidder on Ebay though

I put my G3 for sale on ebay the other day it sold for 370.00 but I am still waiting payment on it. I think I am going to have to file a non-paing bidder form. So make sure that you put down if you have zero feedback email me first so you know that at least they have a valid email and communicate.
Just something to keep in mind about Ebay!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.