Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JSmoove05

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 4, 2007
Itunes just froze on me and I cant close the program. Im new to mac is there anyway to fix this without hitting the power button?

Retired
May 16, 2006
Apple in the top left->Force quit

Or, if possible, right click the iTunes icon in the dock, then press 'Force quit' :)

Sopranino

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2006
Alberta, Canada
The GEEK method would involve opening a Terminal session, invoking top, locating the PID of the frozen program, and then casting a 'Kill -9 [PID]' (do not use the quotes or the square brackets). This will terminate with extreme prejudice ANY process regardless of its state. (Ahh the joys of the UNIX command line)

Sopranino

4np

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
The Netherlands
The GEEK method would involve opening a Terminal session, invoking top, locating the PID of the frozen program, and then casting a 'Kill -9 [PID]' (do not use the quotes or the square brackets). This will terminate with extreme prejudice ANY process regardless of its state. (Ahh the joys of the UNIX command line)

Sopranino

Hehe, that's what I do when the rest does not work ;) But most of the times activity monitor can fix the issue :)

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop

Sopranino

Is this better than just using "killall ProgramName" because sometime EyeTV simply won't quit even when using the above command. Will try the kill -9 PID next time it happens.

sfisher

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2007
Albuquerque, NM USA
Is this better than just using "killall ProgramName" because sometime EyeTV simply won't quit even when using the above command. Will try the kill -9 PID next time it happens.

kill [PID] or killall [program name] asks the program nicely to quit. kill -9 [PID] or killall -9 [program name] forces it to quit.

Sopranino

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2006
Alberta, Canada

sfisher is correct on this, but to put it into simpler words, kill -9 will terminate ANY program in ANY state. It's kinda like using a sandblaster on a soda cracker....... major overkill!!

Sopranino

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
sfisher is correct on this, but to put it into simpler words, kill -9 will terminate ANY program in ANY state. It's kinda like using a sandblaster on a soda cracker....... major overkill!!

Sopranino

Well sometimes overkill is needed *cough* EyeTV *cough* and the feeling of power is great.

TPetersen

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2008
Sopranino, dont lie.

What to do, if none of the above works?
I started out trying 'Force Quit' from the Dock, then i tried from the 'Force Quit...' dialog, and then i tried killall and kill, nothing works, and if i try to restart my mac, it just hangs, so i need to power it off by holding the power button down.

170909_171525.png

I try this sometimes, also with other applications, and it sucks.
This will NEVER happen in Linux, you can always kill applications in Linux :(

airbedman

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2006
I have also had this happen with the bracketed process. No way to kill, just have to turn off to reboot.

No way to kill process, and no way to re-run the program.

Is there a resolution to this??

Sopranino, dont lie.

What to do, if none of the above works?
I started out trying 'Force Quit' from the Dock, then i tried from the 'Force Quit...' dialog, and then i tried killall and kill, nothing works, and if i try to restart my mac, it just hangs, so i need to power it off by holding the power button down.

170909_171525.png

I try this sometimes, also with other applications, and it sucks.
This will NEVER happen in Linux, you can always kill applications in Linux :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.