Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

upenox

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2005
Put the paperclip in the hole as close to the "earphone side" as possible and then push down. You'll know you have it because it comes out pretty easily once you hit the "sweet spot"

iPhonePhan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
Apple FanBoy Land
Put the paperclip in the hole as close to the "earphone side" as possible and then push down. You'll know you have it because it comes out pretty easily once you hit the "sweet spot"

Thanks! I actually got it open a couple of seconds after I posted that. As it turns out, iFixit mentioned that you had to push it down, more than you would expect, just to get it out.

Putting in my SIM from my current at&t plan into an un-activated iPhone resulted in no dice though. I'm just waiting patiently to get through to customer support. I've been waiting now....50 mins... :eek:

Nall

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2003
Putting in my SIM from my current at&t plan into an un-activated iPhone resulted in no dice though. I'm just waiting patiently to get through to customer support. I've been waiting now....50 mins... :eek:
Any SIM you put in still has to be activated via the iTunes method. Some people here seem to have iPhone SIM cards that have been activated by AT&T but not by Apple yet.

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
The 2 of us are really struggling to get the SIM tray open. We can get it, but it's hit or miss. It takes alot of force and a perfect angle. I wish I could see the path inside.

A mere standard small paperclip isn't enough as the clip gets mangled/bent.
Is it like this for everyone else? And, has anyone come up with a proper strong tool to do this?

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
I know its an old thread, but I hate to open threads when they are already there...

Anyway, I tried using a paperclip, but it snapped part of the way in there!

How can I get the tray out now? I cancelled my phone contract so I was wanting to put in an O2 PAYG sim that I have.

I'm back to having an iPod Touch lol...

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
You need to use a larger paper clip, something around .7mm is the best. Or, you could do what I do and just use the metal tip on a mechanical pencil. The latch is about 1mm in, so it shouldn't take much to pop it, anything longer and you just missed the latch.

TEG

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
The Paperclip snapped inside, so I got a really sharp knife......

No, I didn't slit my wrist, I popped the tray out by slipping it between the edges and it came out with the bit of paperclip too.

Phew :)

Dop

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2008
I just bought it 1 hour ago and i have the same problem.Tray won't come out with the original tool.
:mad:

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
The Paperclip snapped inside, so I got a really sharp knife......

No, I didn't slit my wrist, I popped the tray out by slipping it between the edges and it came out with the bit of paperclip too.

Phew :)

That's where I was heading but hadn't tried it. Last night I turned off my phone to pop the SIM tray out and also see what mechanism prevents it from being inserted backwards (different thread). Anyway, I chickened out and turned my phone back on and no third party application has worked since. Will have four hours into it tonight to get it back to fully functional. :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.