Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brasscat

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
Dallas, Texas
Sometimes the e-mail message headers get out of sync with the body.

The browser seems to crash when I have four or more pages open.

The device puts out a lot of interference when accessing the ATT network (shielding issue maybe?)

eab6287

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2007
Several bugs...

I love the iPhone overall, but have noticed the following problems:

1. As people have mentioned, the iPod will crash when browsing with Safari. I've found additionally, however, that mine at least seems to crash only immediately after I try and zoom (by pinching in). I can browse for quite a while with steady music as long as I don't zoom.
2. Again, this is already mentioned, but Safari seems to crash randomly very frequently for me. No error message is given, it just closes.
3. Safari quits when an email is received. I realize that this is probably on purpose; iPhone is notifying you that you have received a message. However, when I return to Safari, I am often logged out of web pages and have to re-enter my login and password information. This is particularly annoying as iPhone doesn't seem to be able to remember login information or passwords.
4. Problems with the orientation sensor; my iPhone is not at all good at telling whether it is held vertically or horizontally. It works only about 40-50% of the time. I can force it to work by making forceful, sudden movements, but this shouldn't be necessary.
5. Problems with certain web interactions; i.e. setting status on Facebook - clicking in the field to set your status shows a text entry box for about a half second and then it disappears before you can enter any text.
6. SMS Text application is slow to launch (takes about a full 5 seconds on my phone)

If any of you have found solutions to any of these problems or are having the same issues, please let me know (especially number 3, 4, & 5)
Restarting the phone has helped fix the safari crashes, but only for a while and then the issues reoccur.

:confused:

herrade

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2007
Loses Network when Syncing

I got a "No Service" indicator in place of the signal strength bars the last time I put the iPhone in the cradle and a sync began. Powering off completely (not just putting to sleep) brought the network back to life.

ATT rep had no idea why this happened.

randgalt

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2007
Safari can't log into Outlook Exchange Email via the internet. It asks for the login name and password, but then hangs up. Tried this on two separate accounts with the same result. Safari on my MBP does not have this problem.

Me too. I looked on Apple's site. I assume they're reading the various blogs and know about this, but it would be nice to have a way to let them know about it.

eagle33199

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2007
I'm also having issues with mail. I have three gmail accounts set up, and they all go and load the 25 most recent messages or whatever ive specified. Problem is, they load up as being new emails. So i start out having 90 or so "new emails" all of which ive read, or already deleted in Mail (although they probably havent been deleted from the gmail archive)

This seems sort of odd, and the account options seem pretty limited in ways the app downloads mail.

I'm also having the same issue an above poster is having with emails sent from the phone showing up in that accounts inbox on the phone as well...

This is a function of how mail clients and gmail work. First, the mail client gets a message - regardless if it's been read on another client it'll show up as new. Try it yourself - close your client on your computer, log into gmail through your web browser, send yourself an e-mail, read it, then open your client back up on your computer. it'll show up as new!

Another one of the annoying problems with gmail is whole sent e-mails in the inbox thing. If you send an e-mail from the gmail website, it'll show up in your inbox on any client you have set up to download your e-mails!

On to my bug... I first synced my music, and everything went fine. Next i decided to sync my pictures. Selected all of them, and i only got the "last roll" from iPhoto. no error message or anything. Played around a bit, and eventually found out that if i selected a smaller subset of albums, they would all appear. It seems that rather than tell you your iPhone is full, it just stops when it can't download an entire album.

The key to the whole thing for me was that the "last 12 months" album was second in the list (by default), and was huge. Moving it to the bottom allowed most of the other smaller albums to download just fine, until i could actually see that the phone was full (instead of the 1.5 gigs that were open in the previous attempts).

eagle33199

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2007
My battery life doesn't seem too good. Also, the talk volume coming out of the earpiece is pretty soft. Do you think all of the problems in this thread can be fixed with a software patch?

i thought the same thing at first about the talk volume... have you tried turning up the volume (using the rocker switch on the left side of the phone) while you're in a call? it did wonders for me!

jbellanca

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
Three times now this has happened with 5 bars of signal. The signal will totally drop and the phone says "no signal" - just dropped it entirely. Then I reboot the phone, and it says "no sim". I reboot again, and same message. Reboot again, and it locks in 5 bars of signal, no problem.

Today is the first time this has happened - it's been perfect before now. Anyone else having this issue at all? Sounds like it could be hardware or software related.

yakface

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2007
In the 'phone' application, when creating a new contact if you enter all the information and, before saving the new contact, you try to take a photo to add to the contact page, the application quits and dumps you back to the home page and all the information you entered is lost as that contact is not saved.

This happened to me twice. A work-around it to enter the contact information *first* and save the contact. Then go back and 'edit' the contact and take the picture you want to add.

brasscat

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
Dallas, Texas
In the 'phone' application, when creating a new contact if you enter all the information and, before saving the new contact, you try to take a photo to add to the contact page, the application quits and dumps you back to the home page and all the information you entered is lost as that contact is not saved.

This happened to me twice. A work-around it to enter the contact information *first* and save the contact. Then go back and 'edit' the contact and take the picture you want to add.

This has happened to me as well.

dy111

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2007
when ipod is playing and you browse the web, ipod stops playing after about a minute. does not matter if you are using wifi or edge.

Safari crashes randomly, happened twice while trying to acces this forum actually.

has happened to me as well! Im actually on my iphone right now searching to see if this happened to anyone else. Its happened twice, and i dont like it!:mad:

bitty417

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2007
06 BMW 3 Series -- Same problem. When using Bluetooth audio cuts out for a second or two at a time.

Tried it this afternoon in my wife's 07 BMW X3 - same thing.

jlanuez

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2006
USA
Windows XP and its new-hardware installer try to recognize iPhone as a camera when there are photos in the Camera Roll. Then, Windows crashes into the blue screen of death with an error message 0x0000007e blahblahblah. When there are no photos in the Camera Roll, Windows doesn't crash, and iTunes opens the phone normally.

Sounds like you are on a Windows PC?

When I sync with my Mac (when photos are in the roll), iTunes AND Apple's Aperture open and "just work" by each doing what they need to do at the same time, correctly. I did shut the (auto)Aperture feature off as I don't want it opening every-time I dock the iPhone.

brwnbooger

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2007
Hardware design flaw - headphone jack

Did anyone else notice that the headphone jack is irregular. The hole is very deep and standard headphones did not fit into the hole (I tried 5 kinds). For all the headphones the insulation around the pin prevented it from fitting in the headphone jack. Did apple put out any special converters for this? I remember steve saying that the headphone jack is a standard 3.5mm at macworld..... it is 3.5mm but sure isn't standard if it can't fit any headphones other than the ones that come with the iphone. :mad:

jbellanca

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
Didn't think I'd find a bug, but I did. Here it is:

Apparently the first DNS server for my ISP went down. My laptop's smart enough to fall back to the secondary DNS server. Although a second one is listed on the iPhone, it apparently won't use it, and Safari times out because the first DNS server was down. I switched the 2nd one with the 1st one in the wireless setup on the iPhone and it's working. It shouldn't obviously happen very often, but Apple needs to fix this in the future.

Jsimon9633

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2007
This is crazy that it doesn't do this, the function is awesome when surfing the web and filling in a form like this one. They need to add this ability on the next update.

Agreed. I am pretty sure they are looking at all these bugs and planning a software update. I expect that from Apple especially after the activation snafus.

ryanneves

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2007
Signal Issues

I too have had single jumping issues from full to no service in ATT "Great" service areas....hopefully someone will own up and fix this one.

Jsimon9633

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2007
Today I found another bug, I tried to send email from my iPhone through Reply from Yahoo and it crashed, not only did it crash but it seemed that the next time I entered the mail app it was frozen for like 5 seconds.

Strange!!

johnnybluejeans

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2006
New York, NY
I love the iPhone overall, but have noticed the following problems:

4. Problems with the orientation sensor; my iPhone is not at all good at telling whether it is held vertically or horizontally. It works only about 40-50% of the time. I can force it to work by making forceful, sudden movements, but this shouldn't be necessary.

Are you walking when you have this problem? I've noticed that if there is a lot of other movement going on (walking, running which causes your hands to bounce a bit) the orientation sensor has a hard time picking up rotation. Otherwise, at a standstill I've never had any problems.

johnnybluejeans

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2006
New York, NY
Another one of the annoying problems with gmail is whole sent e-mails in the inbox thing. If you send an e-mail from the gmail website, it'll show up in your inbox on any client you have set up to download your e-mails!

You can set up a filter in gmail (by logging into gmail.com) to delete any emails where the "From:" field matches your email address. This will keep the email in your sent folder on your iPhone or Mail at home, but it will prevent it from showing up in your Inbox.

johnnybluejeans

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2006
New York, NY
I've noticed that if you try to position the cursor using the magnifying glass in text that is near the top of the screen, the magnifying glass will be off the screen. Anyone else have this issue? It is rather annoying because generally when I'm positioning the cursor the text is near the top of the screen because the keyboard is taking up the bottom.

eagle33199

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2007
Another small problem... I have about 1 gig of photo's on my iPhone (at least, i did last night after the last time i synced at home). Anyways, i've been showing it to a bunch of people here at work and the battery was getting a little low, so i plugged it into my computer here to recharge. I'm not sure at exactly what point this happened, but now when i go to look at my photo's, it comes up empty! According to iTunes on this computer, there's still 1.11 gigs of photos on the iPhone. I did have to "abort" the initial syncing, so that may be part of the problem... it's now set up to never sync this iPhone from this computer, so hopefully when i sync back at home tonight it'll all get straightened out!

getoffoil

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2007
safari crashes when visiting

ever time I try to go to homedepot.com the page almost finishes loading and the crash! back to the main menu. Anyone else?

footOdorProblem

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2007
Vertical status bar in portrait mode

Visit apple.com/iphone in Safari.
Play the Finger Tips video or any other video that works in Safari.
While in the embedded video player, put the phone in landscape mode.
Click the 'Done' button at the top-left corner.
Quickly move the phone to portrait mode before the web page reappears.
The status bar will now be on the left or right hand side (depending on which landscape orientation you were in).
The correct status bar position will be restored when you press Home.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.