Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

riddlebox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
I would buy an iPhone if I could get it without a camera. I can not have a camera on my phone due work restrictions :( So for now I will keep my blackberry 7130. :( :(

riddlebox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
Tape won't make it past a security check. The phone has to approved be for I can bring it to work. Even if I remove the camera It may look like a camera is still there, This is retarded I know. :mad:

WillJS

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2007
Tape won't make it past a security check. The phone has to approved be for I can bring it to work. Even if I remove the camera It may look like a camera is still there, This is retarded I know. :mad:

Wow. That really stinks man. Sorry.:(

Boxer

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2006
Overland Park Kansas
Sorry if this is a dumb comment but I bet there is a way you could ask apple tech or att tech support to disable the camera part. Maybe your work would let you use it if they knew it was disabled.
Just a thought.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
My wife has the same problem at her company - it's for their DOD security compliance. They can make exceptions, if "needed" though. I bet as soon as some of the execs want to bring their iPhones in, something will happen. A lot of them have Blackberrys, and even if they stick with those, the latest models have cameras.

When I used to work there (1998), it had only been a year or two that cell phones of any kind were allowed (under "no transmitting devices"). I was among the first to get an exception to bring it in - I had to use the rational of always traveling between sites, to even get that much.

riddlebox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
Even if the camera is disabled or removed it will not pass thru security (DOD/DOE). Like I said this is retarded. As for exception they not are allowed for any reason. Its only been about 2 years phones are allowed on site. The phones have to be registered thru security and we have to have a sticker on the phone to show that it is a registered device. Maybe I would be better off just getting a different job, :rolleyes:

riddlebox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
I have now called:
Apple
AT&T
local AT&T stores

Just to bug them and show an interest. Any one want to help me and call Apple and AT&T to request a no camera option??? I have also found out the the following companies/locations do not allow cameras at there sites as well

caterpillar
Nissan (headquarters are now in Tennessee)
I can only assume more auto companies plants as well (GM, Ford, Dodge...)
John Deere
Many Department of Defense/Department of Energy research sites
I can only assume that this would include the pentagon or at least parts of it,
Many Courts are banning camera phones/ Law firms as well.

Any guess on how many people on that short list that excludes from getting a phone with a camera.

Please help me add to this list to show an large number of people that are currently unable to get the iPhone or even a decent phone due to cameras.

Thanks

princealfie

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2006
Salt Lake City UT
I have now called:
Apple
AT&T
local AT&T stores

Just to bug them and show an interest. Any one want to help me and call Apple and AT&T to request a no camera option??? I have also found out the the following companies/locations do not allow cameras at there sites as well

caterpillar
Nissan (headquarters are now in Tennessee)
I can only assume more auto companies plants as well (GM, Ford, Dodge...)
John Deere
Many Department of Defense/Department of Energy research sites
I can only assume that this would include the pentagon or at least parts of it,
Many Courts are banning camera phones/ Law firms as well.

Any guess on how many people on that short list that excludes from getting a phone with a camera.

Please help me add to this list to show an large number of people that are currently unable to get the iPhone or even a decent phone due to cameras.

Thanks

Nice that's all of the places I graciously avoid!!! :D

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Maybe the iPhone sim card will work on a cheapy, approved phone, and you can swap SIM cards when you go to work.

Just a thought... :D

lord patton

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Chicago
Well, there are around 2 million Americans with some security clearance, so you'll have no trouble finding some people in your same shoes. Even outside of official DOD and DOE installations, all the defense contractors have "secure" sites... Northrop Grumman, Ratheon, Boeing, Lockheed... they employ a lot of people.

But I really doubt Apple will listen.

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
Well, there are around 2 million Americans with some security clearance, so you'll have no trouble finding some people in your same shoes. Even outside of official DOD and DOE installations, all the defense contractors have "secure" sites... Northrop Grumman, Ratheon, Boeing, Lockheed... they employ a lot of people.

But I really doubt Apple will listen.

I work at a defense contractor, and it was just a year ago that we could have camera phones at work. The justification being, try finding a phone without one. Nigh impossible.

We still can't have computers with integrated webcams, that's for sure. So even if we weren't Windows-centric it would eliminate a large fraction of Apple options for us.

riddlebox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
I do doubt apple will listen as graphics/video seems to be there biggest interest. hence running games on my mac works so well :)

As for leaving it in the car, I'm in the north-east temp ranges from 90 to 10 below, this would kill the battery almost every day, and cameras are not even allowed in the parking lot. :confused:

The security would rather nobody have a phone than allow personal responsibility with a phone. :rolleyes:

But... i will keep hoping.

Thanks for the comments thou

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
I was just told today that Raytheon, in particular, now allows cam phones. Of course, one should check with their security dept., if unsure of exact policies.

riddlebox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
Good to know. I'm sure in the end I will get my iPhone, just not take it to work :( . I'm going to start checking with security about this problem and try to get as many at work to do the same. But I know that will get know where.

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
Apple doesn't cater to specific needs for secure sites, government or otherwise. there are plenty of government agencies that use Apple products but have to butcher them in-house to make them work for the (physically take a laptop apart to disable iSight, WiFi, bluetooth, etc). if they won't make the federal government a computer without a camera, what makes you think they'll make a phone without a camera?

you're just going to have to live without bringing it in. most of these types of facilities don't allow phones at all, so consider yourself lucky if you can even bring one.

v-roc

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2008
New housing???

What if you were to find someone who could make you a new back housing that blocks the camera part. That way if you quit the job you can replace the housing back to the original housing... Just a thought. :cool:

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007
What if you were to find someone who could make you a new back housing that blocks the camera part. That way if you quit the job you can replace the housing back to the original housing... Just a thought. :cool:

That would be a potential option, and easy if he stuck with the 2G model. Swap the back from an iPod touch with the back of an original iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.