Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bob Jovi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2006
London
Hi,

Bit of an emergency here. I went to switch on my G5 powermac this evening and nothing happens. The light comes on, but the hard drive doesn't seem to spin up.
Anyone got any ideas??? I really hope it's not dead!!

thanks

Bob Jovi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2006
London
took out the battery and held down the button. but now there is an orange LED on when i plug the computer into the mains. is this a bad sign?

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
took out the battery and held down the button. but now there is an orange LED on when i plug the computer into the mains. is this a bad sign?

Yes. That is a bad sign.

It's possible something's not 'seated' correctly. This can happen after moving a computer and something gets jostled loose.

Remove the RAM and then put them back in.

Probably do the same with all your PCI/AGP cards.

Also, make sure you plugged your battery in the right way, if it's even possible to plug it on wrong.

Uh, also check all your IDE cables to make sure they're in firmly.

If all else fails, tell Apple you want to buy 2 years of Applecare and then take it in for service.

Topper

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2007
Hi, Bit of an emergency here. I went to switch on my G5 powermac this evening and nothing happens. The light comes on, but the hard drive doesn't seem to spin up.
Anyone got any ideas??? I really hope it's not dead!!
thanks

Welcome to my world.
When you try to start it up how many times does the power button light flash?

Topper

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2007
The light just stays on until you switch it off again. is this a very bad sign?
Actually that is probably a very good thing.
It would appear that your computer is at least running.
Do you hear a startup chime?

Bob Jovi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2006
London
no there is nothing, the hard drive doesn't even power up. there is no noise coming from it at all.

Topper

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2007
no there is nothing, the hard drive doesn't even power up. there is no noise coming from it at all.
Try the following:
A. Make sure that the power cord is plugged into a working wall outlet, and that it's properly connected to the power adapter. (To check if the wall socket is working, plug in a lamp or other electrical device.)
B. Make sure that the power adapter is properly connected to the power port on the back of the computer.
C. Disconnect all accessories that are plugged into the computer, such as a printer, hub, or iPod.
D. Reset the computer's PMU or PRAM as follows:

To reset the SMU on a Power Mac G5 (Late 2004) computer, simply do the following:

1. Turn off the computer by selecting Shut Down from the Apple menu or by holding the power button until the computer turns off.
2. Remove the power cord from the computer.
3. Wait two minutes.
4. Plug in the power cord.
5. Turn on the computer.

Power Mac G5 (Late 2005)

To reset the SMU on a Power Mac G5 (Late 2005) computer, either use the steps listed above for the Power Mac G5 (Late 2004) or:

1. Turn off the computer by selecting Shut Down from the Apple menu or by holding the power button until the computer turns off.
2. Open and remove both the metallic outer door and the inner plastic air deflector.
3. Remove the fan assembly immediately to the left of the processor module.
4. Press the SMU reset button on the logic board.
5. Replace the fan assembly, air deflector, and outer door.
6. Turn on the computer.

E. Try plugging a different power cord into the computer (if you have a working one available).
If the computer starts up, replace the old power cord.
F. If the computer uses a power adapter, try connecting a different power adapter to the computer (if you have a working one available). If the computer starts up, replace the old power adapter.
G. If you tried all of the steps above and the computer still won't turn on, contact Apple technical support (1-800-APL-CARE in the U.S.) or take your computer to your local Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) for diagnosis.

Bob Jovi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2006
London
yeah i've tried all of those things except the different power supply one. do you think that replacing the battery could fix it???

Topper

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2007
yeah i've tried all of those things except the different power supply one. do you think that replacing the battery could fix it???
To be truthful, I don't know.
You say that the power light is on steadily which according to Apple means your computer should be running.
If nobody else can think of anything, I'd take the computer to the "genius" at an Apple Store if you have one near by.
Make a reservation first though.
This is what Apple shows regarding the power button light:
LED.jpg

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
To be truthful, I don't know.
You say that the power light is on steadily which according to Apple means your computer should be running.
If nobody else can think of anything, I'd take the computer to the "genius" at an Apple Store if you have one near by.
Make a reservation first though.
This is what Apple shows regarding the power button light:
LED.jpg

holy crap I didn't know that, rad!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.