Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
A few more notes:

- MacBidouille's readers had posted on their forums regarding new boxes from Apple that had arrived at a FNAC -- a computer/department story in France with instructions not to open before Monday, June 23rd. The post claims two box sizes... one which is speculated to be laptop sized, while the other is described as much larger. Speculation and discussion are ongoing in this Page 2 thread.

Interestingly enough, Apple Stores are also receiving palettes this week which are not to be opened until Monday afternoon (June 23rd). These reports indicate that at least some new products with immediate availability after WWDC's opening day. It is unknown if there is the same sizes as described by MacBidouille's readers.

- Mac-TV.de claims that Apple Germany has stated that there will be no web-stream of the event.

- The invitation (jpg) for the German Apple Broadcast event hypes WWDC further:

Discover the Future with the Apple

Apple Germany invites you to a breathtaking event in the heart of Europe.

Watch the keynote of Steve Jobs from the WWDC in San Francisco via satellite.

For Audio, Video, Publishing and Mediaprofessionals will it be an unforgettable event. News will await you, which will top all your previous expectations on speed.

Be ready for a new age of computing on 23.06.2003 starting 6 pm.

(Please note that this is an invite-only event.)

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
What's in the big boxes ?

I'd laugh if it was just new iMacs or something after all the 970 hype.

Of course that would be an insane laugh, I'd be crying with disappointment really.

jimthorn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2003
Huntington Beach, CA, USA
My money's on new 15" PowerBooks (G4, not G5). And who says the big boxes only hold one item? Maybe they're filled with lots of smaller boxes, like a new Digital Lifestyle Device (camera, anyone?).

Postal

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2002
Ottawa, ON, Canada
What's interesting is that this immediately lends support to MacBidouille's arguments... assuming that they all come from the same general source (not necessarily the same person).

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
I would expect xserves,&powermacs but it could be the 15" book & powermacs. Really you arent going to be showing off a 64 bit system on a 32 bit machine are you???Apple has needed this for the past year lets hope its good.

dickrichie

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2002
Why germany?

Does anyone have any idea why Germany iis such a big deal? the only thing I can think and trust me this is a HUGE guess is maybe Porsche helped with the design. They have done industrial deisgn before and even worked with apple on the Newton eMate. Just a thought or should I say a shot in teh dark. the very very dark.

DreaminDirector

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2002
Ladera Ranch, CA
Man, this WWDC si getting so hyped. I really hope it isnt going to be a let down. I'm getting that feeling again like when you were a kid and you knew the next day you were going to disneyland and you were to anxious to go to sleep.

Come on Apple, break the status quo again!

kylos

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2002
MI
Re: Why germany?

Originally posted by dickrichie
Does anyone have any idea why Germany iis such a big deal? the only thing I can think and trust me this is a HUGE guess is maybe Porsche helped with the design. They have done industrial deisgn before and even worked with apple on the Newton eMate. Just a thought or should I say a shot in teh dark. the very very dark.

Or even better, maybe your 911 will run on OS X. That would be sweet. Show BMW a thing or two.

reyesmac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Central Texas
I hope Apple pulls out all the stops for this event. I hope they don't hold anything back with the new G5's or cripple them in any way. If they can count on IBM for faster and faster chips these systems will be outdated in a year or two anyway.

pkradd

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2001
CNBC

CNBC streamed the recent Apple event that introed new iPods and iTMS. No reason to believe they won't do the same for WWDC, even if Apple only streams to stores as they did recently. Although one should note that a Quicktime stream was up prior to the recent event in Cupertino but went down just when the event started!

DoJo

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2002
Tempe, AZ
I am so happy! After following Mac related rumors for 4 years I am finally in the position to buy a new computer.

Even better, after telling my wife I was considering an eMac she suggested getting a higher-end Mac so It could retain its usefulness longer.

Now if Apple would not raise the prices on the pro towers after the 970 upgrade I would be even happier.

BaghdadBob

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2003
Gorgeous, WA
:eek: *boing*

I don't care about the boxes, the hype is starting to get me all hot and bothered...am I the only one who thinks this level of hype can only be leading to some really good stuff?

I don't know about exceeding all my past expectations though. It would need some anatomy so I could make love to it if it will "exceed all my past expectations". Seriously, I would have to make passionate love to it. I don't think it'll be quite that good.

Better practice my continuously swirling digit motions -- for the new mouse, of course...

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
Something big is coming... :D

As for the German Stream, while I'm sure the event referred to is real, I'm not so sure about the keynote not being streamed. I read the actual translation at this thread:
https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29542
Originally posted by Veldek
Quick Translation:
Apple Germany told us that Apple will for 99% not offer an own live-stream with Quicktime. They don't even think about changing this plan. There will only be a satellite stream to two meetings in Berlin and Tokyo, where special guests and some journalists are invited. No on-line service (e.g. MSN) has
permission for streaming the key note.
According to this, not even Apple Retail Stores will show the keynote, and many Apple Retail Stores have already confirmed that they will be showing the keynote.

blueBomber

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but you can't put something like "Be ready for a new computer era on 23.06.2003, starting at 6:00 PM in the ******." for a simple speedbump or even the 15" alPB. This implies something really inovative, perhaps even mindblowing...

And it was mentioned (jokingly) that maybe Porche made a case for Apple. Hey, I know more than few car-shop guys who mod out pc cases for people. Maybe Steve is trying to show them all up by hiring the best:D

rjwill246

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2003
USA (often) and Adelaide, OZ
Remember the vapour-ware jabs?

It is going to be very interesting to see if we hear a peep from this forum's very vocal detractors of all these recent rumours- after the WWDC. Even Apple is now claiming something big is going to happen ( for the Berlin invitees) and they generally only hint at "the spectacular" rather than being so direct. I would venture that the 970s will be coming sooner rather than later- and it is hoped that by Christmas time Apple buyers and Windows switchers will be going nuts trying to figure out just where to plunk down that hard earned cash.

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
Originally posted by DoJo
I am so happy! After following Mac related rumors for 4 years I am finally in the position to buy a new computer.

Even better, after telling my wife I was considering an eMac she suggested getting a higher-end Mac so It could retain its usefulness longer.

Now if Apple would not raise the prices on the pro towers after the 970 upgrade I would be even happier.
While a new processor might sound like an opportunity for Apple to jack up the price, from what I've seen (MacWhispers report about processor prices comes to mind) there's a very good possibility that prices won't go up.

I'm still wonder what's up with the 12" Powerbook, though...

mikeyredk

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2003
do you know whats going to happen someone in one of those meeting is going to tell a bunch of other people then they tell the rest of the world

yea everyone is going to have to sign an nda but it will still leak

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
Originally posted by blueBomber
I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but you can't put something like "Be ready for a new computer era on 23.06.2003, starting at 6:00 PM in the ******." for a simple speedbump or even the 15" alPB. This implies something really inovative, perhaps even mindblowing...

Yes, but did you ever stop to think that this may be two different things we are talking about here? Sure, the 970 will probably be revealed, and possibly demo-ed, which is the 'mind blowing event.'

But no product with a 970 in it will be available till probably Christmas or MWSF time. The boxes arriving at the stores are probably just 15-inch Powerbooks with G4's in them. This announcement will also take place around the 23rd, but will be a smaller announcement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.