Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PupnTaco

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2007
Visiting Ireland at the moment and will be in England and France next week. Immediately on landing, the iPhone picked up the Vodaphone network and EDGE (although I've seen it switch to O2 in spots) and has prompted me to join several open wifis.

Using iCal to keep track of my itinerary and confirmation numbers in event notes, texting British friends on their "mobys" and Google maps have all been lifesavers.

Its an amazing thing to be able to grab a quick photo of where I'm at and instantly e-mail it to a buddy back home. I've kept it low-key so far, not flashing it around. :LOL:

PupnTaco

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2007
Not a surprise at all, just a report from the field and an appreciation. :D

md11

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2005
Europe
Visiting Ireland at the moment and will be in England and France next week. Immediately on landing, the iPhone picked up the Vodaphone network and EDGE (although I've seen it switch to O2 in spots) and has prompted me to join several open wifis.

Using iCal to keep track of my itinerary and confirmation numbers in event notes, texting British friends on their "mobys" and Google maps have all been lifesavers.

Its an amazing thing to be able to grab a quick photo of where I'm at and instantly e-mail it to a buddy back home. I've kept it low-key so far, not flashing it around. :LOL:

Watch your wallet - surfin abroad won't be cheap..

PupnTaco

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2007
yes at&t set up intl roaming for 5.99/month plus .99/minute; data extra.

Full functionality inch visual voicemail A-OK!

iPhonePhan

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2007
Apple FanBoy Land
yes at&t set up intl roaming for 5.99/month plus .99/minute; data extra.

Full functionality inch visual voicemail A-OK!

As was mentioned - careful about those data costs ;) it's like .0195¢/kb which can add up heavily when you send a 2MB pic :eek:

Have fun on your vacation! :p (And make sure to hide your iPhone from those crazy AsBo / Neets (British speak ;) )!

Sinsinnati

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2006
U.S.A.
This is good to hear. I was wondering if the iPhone would work in Europe. Just for comparison purposes, what are the charges for a US T-mobile phone when in Europe?

I currently have Sprint and can't wait to leave the CDMA network to have my phone work when I travel overseas.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
This is good to hear. I was wondering if the iPhone would work in Europe. Just for comparison purposes, what are the charges for a US T-mobile phone when in Europe?

I currently have Sprint and can't wait to leave the CDMA network to have my phone work when I travel overseas.
Not that you'd want it, but Sprint just released the CDMA/GSM hybrid Blackberry 8830. It's GSM unlocked (overseas) so you can pop a cheap prepaid SIM in it and go.

For all practical purposes, that's the way to go, IMO.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
How much do you guys think the data would run? How much does 2 cents a kb turn into MB?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.