Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mpalmieri1203

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2007
My network is running on 128-WEP. My password works on all other devices including my PS3. It keeps saying that my password is incorrect on the iPhone. I cant figure out what the problem is. Any help? Does lower case and capitals matter?

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
I suspect case does matter. Though WEP is flawed in that it can be hacked in 60 seconds and it causes problems like this. Can you switch your network to WPA security? All computers running XP/Vista or OS X 10.3 or better support it.

ctapia

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2007
Make sure you have HEX vs ASCII set on the iPhone entry correctly

https://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007/06/30/unable-to-access-password-wifi-networks/

arn

Interesting, I'm having similar problems, but slightly different. If I set to hex if tells me "Unable to joing XXX (my wireless) network. If i set it to Wep password, it appears to take it, however the lock remains on the iphone and therefore explains why I cant' get connected via wifi (my wireless network). I've trippled check my wep key and it is correct. I"m lost..:confused:

Update.. I just added the "$" symbol as freeflydrew suggested and it makes no difference.

ericld

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2007
Interesting, I'm having similar problems, but slightly different. If I set to hex if tells me "Unable to joing XXX (my wireless) network. If i set it to Wep password, it appears to take it, however the lock remains on the iphone and therefore explains why I cant' get connected via wifi (my wireless network). I've trippled check my wep key and it is correct. I"m lost..:confused:

Update.. I just added the "$" symbol as freeflydrew suggested and it makes no difference.

Mine did the same thing and I couldn't connect, although it didn't tell me my wep key was wrong. i deleted the wifi by hitting the "forget this" button and re-added.

All worked fine.

I do recommend switching the WPA ad simply typing a password.

ctapia

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2007
Mine did the same thing and I couldn't connect, although it didn't tell me my wep key was wrong. i deleted the wifi by hitting the "forget this" button and re-added.

All worked fine.

I do recommend switching the WPA ad simply typing a password.

From what I've tried, if you type the an incorrect password, you won't get any error messages and the only way you know is that the "lock" symbol remains next to the wireless network.
I have now verified that I can connect to my work wireless, but I can't connect to my home network. The "lock" symbol stays on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.