Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acastic

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
How about the fact that AT&T service stinks in many people's home areas? I can't get a signal from AT&T at my home and I'm all cellular - no home phone for years.

What most people don't know.. is that AT&T is in process of building hundreds of GSM/Edge cell sites just for the iphone project, including microcells (minature cell sites) that will operate at every Apple store. This mass build of cell sites isn't just to increase call capacity either, many dead signal areas are going to be covered/improved. Apple wouldn't sign a 5 year contract with a company thats going to let the older 2G network drop off the face of the planet. Now, why Apple decided to go with a GSM/Edge phone versus a 3G phone of sorts, is completely beyond me.

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
I'm sorry but when I read the thread title, this is all I could think of. Being bored, I decided to make a quick picture of what I was thinking...

verizoniphone.png

..:D

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
I'm sorry but when I read the thread title, this is all I could think of. Being bored, I decided to make a quick picture of what I was thinking...

verizoniphone.png

..:D

LOL that is funny. One thing you are missing is the Verizon logo on the phone it self, generally in the most annoying place. Its also important that the screen say Verizon Wireless _right under_ the logo on the phone.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
/QUOTE]
very true....the sad part is that its probably what verizon wanted to do...

ps49556n

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2007
Boy, you Mac folk really are ignorant when it comes to the PDA world! Explains a lot of the strange iPhone comments I see around here; you think entirely in terms of traditional cell phones. Verizon's "skins" on Windows Mobile PDA-phones amount to little more than a brief startup screen, not much more than we can expect from Cingular on the iPhone. Actually, as far as the OS goes, there's more branding in the iPhone screenshots we've seen (the little Cingular logo at the top of the screen) than in the "Today" screen in my 2-year-old WM5 touch-screen PDAphone from Verizon (that is to say, there is no branding whatsoever, nor a custom skin).

Like the iPod before it, iPhone is hardly a revolutionary or new idea -- it's just Apple's more stylish entry in an existing field of devices known as PDA Phones (*not* smartphones), that has been around for 3 or 4 years now. If you're going to make comparisons, make comparisons to the other devices in this class, not a RAZr or whatever you're thinking of!

Actually you are wrong sir. Verizon DOES cripple the features in some of its PDAs. Look at the new BB 8830. Where is the built in GPS feature you ask???? Oh, sorry. Verizon disabled this so you would have to subscribe to its VZ Navigator service for an extra monthly fee. Note, this is totally free with the Cingular model. Also note, the in an interview, RIM's CEO stated that rather than incorporate new technologies such as 3G or quality cameras, it was "completely focused on promoting the new built-in GPS feature on its devises". Just one example but i am sure there are others I do not know about because I havent used the devices.

rickoshea

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2007
Have any of you EVER used Cingular/AT&T?

I don't know about you, but I have used many cellular services over the years and lived in MD, CA, NJ and WI, and I travel throughout the country and abroad. I understand Apple's decision to go with GSM rather than CDMA, as it is easier to promulgate the iPhone on a worldwide basis, and I do understand the limitations that Verizon puts on its phones for business reasons.
Still, I cannot understand going with the Cingular brand. Cingular/AT&T is still the least reliable of the large carriers. It, along with its parent company and AT&T also have the 1-2-3 WORST customer service records of all of the telecommunications companies in America.
Even though I have longed for many years to get the only iPhone feature that is of interest to me, visual voicemail, I am not willing to trade it for a voice service that is as sporadic as Cingular/AT&T, and whose EVDO service is non-existent. In any case, it is still missing the features of saving the voice recordings to disc and call blocking, which are the things that interest me even more than visual voice mail.
Unfortunately Apple may have been forced to pick from the lesser of the many evils, but I am worried that it will tarnish the great name of Apple, simply because of the carrier it has chosen. I hope the product quality shines through the abysmal service that all of you are about to face. Good luck to one and all.

jsc8997@comcast

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2007
The "Real" reason iPhone will not be on Verizon

Just thought you guys would like the scoop to the reasons that Verizon and iPhone will not be together.
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2007-01-28-verizon-iphone_x.htm

I actually have had Cingular, T-Mobile, Sprint, Nextel and Verizon. Of them, Verizon is my carrier due to it's ability to work where others don't. I also have had the best customer service with them. I currently have the XV6700 and it works great. Many hacks to get rid of any unwanted Verizon software/locks. I also enjoy having the freedom of a mobile os versus their own software.

The article above, I think, spells out that Apple (products I love) was just asking too much in a manufacturer role. Motorola doesn't (to my knowledge) get any of the service agreement money from individual customers. Most wireless providers wouldn't want to give this up.

Nall

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2003
and whose EVDO service is non-existent.
What? Cingular doesn't use EVDO, they use another standard.

And I'll be honest with you, while I have had my fair share of dropped calls on their network, I was pleasantly surprised by their 3G data service. I figured I'd never see service in most of the places I go (mid-sized cities) but they all seem to have blazing 3G speeds.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
I doubt Verizon will ever carry the iPhone because Verizon uses CDMA, but Apple went with the worldwide standard, GSM.
The RAZR was Cingular-only - same exclusive deal. Now they're available from almost all carriers and they practically come in cereal boxes. The difference with the iPhone is that Apple wants to maintain retail control, not have the iPhone ultimately end up being some $29 throw-away or freebie with a two year contract.

Reportedly, Apple went to Verizon first, but when they said they wanted sales control and a cut of the rate plan, Verizon said "uh, no". AT&T said "OK", but they got a 5 year exclusive in return.

Or so the story goes. http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2007-01-28-verizon-iphone_x.htm

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
I don't know about you, but I have used many cellular services over the years and lived in MD, CA, NJ and WI, and I travel throughout the country and abroad. I understand Apple's decision to go with GSM rather than CDMA, as it is easier to promulgate the iPhone on a worldwide basis, and I do understand the limitations that Verizon puts on its phones for business reasons.
Still, I cannot understand going with the Cingular brand. Cingular/AT&T is still the least reliable of the large carriers. It, along with its parent company and AT&T also have the 1-2-3 WORST customer service records of all of the telecommunications companies in America.
Even though I have longed for many years to get the only iPhone feature that is of interest to me, visual voicemail, I am not willing to trade it for a voice service that is as sporadic as Cingular/AT&T, and whose EVDO service is non-existent. In any case, it is still missing the features of saving the voice recordings to disc and call blocking, which are the things that interest me even more than visual voice mail.
Unfortunately Apple may have been forced to pick from the lesser of the many evils, but I am worried that it will tarnish the great name of Apple, simply because of the carrier it has chosen. I hope the product quality shines through the abysmal service that all of you are about to face. Good luck to one and all.

Apple didn't pick GSM vs CDMA. CDMA was their original preference. They went to Verizon first.

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Well I would say I like ATT. Great signal, no dropped calls and their phones aren't crippled.

Verizon: meh, crippled phones and no signal at work. I mean zero, people at work who have VZW cannot make/receive calls at work.

Sprint: I was with them, great data speeds, but I get poor coverage at home.

transitman

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2007
Solution!!

I think Apple needs to come out with the 6th Gen iPod (which will be an iPhone minus AT&T) so that we will not have to have Apple plus anyone. We all love Apple's products and we hate the restrictions that come from everyone else. I think with the new iPod (probably to come out in Oct/Nov) we will see a NICE pocket Mac device with PDA, Wi-Fi, better battery, more memory, better bluetooth, ect. This is going to be the relvolutionary device because it will be all Apple. Can I get a witness?

jakebechtold

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2007
North Dakota
Apple may have to go Verizon

Apple may have to go to verizon. Here's why: AT&T says they have "the largest digital voice and data coverage in America." If you look at their coverage map, you'll notice that most of Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Oregon, and Nevada have NO COVERAGE WHATSOEVER. That's a good chunk of the US without coverage.

I hope Steve Jobs is reading this.

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
Why is it not possible to create another iPhone version with 3g (and removeable battery) and have it be non-AT&T? Wouldn't that basically be another separate product? Does the agreement with AT&T REALLY say "OK, we're locked into you for ALL incarnations of the phone". I'm saying, a different model of iPhone (3g) 'could' tie to another provider - right? Why is that not possible?

DiamondMac

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2006
Washington, D.C.
I had AT&T before this iPhone and hated it.

Customer Service was TERRIBLE
Coverage was TERRIBLE
Everything was TERRIBLE

I switched to Verizon and honestly have had no complaints. No bill problems, Phone has been fine, Coverage is fine, and the Customer Support was MUCH BETTER

I am switching back for the iPhone but hope there are drastic improvments in AT&T

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
Apple may have to go to verizon. Here's why: AT&T says they have "the largest digital voice and data coverage in America." If you look at their coverage map, you'll notice that most of Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Oregon, and Nevada have NO COVERAGE WHATSOEVER. That's a good chunk of the US without coverage.

i'm pretty sure they say largest network, not largest coverage area (which isn't their fault, it's due to exclusivity agreements and GSM restrictions in many area out west). and largest network is true based on number of subscribers. but their coverage will get better if they keep acquiring smaller companies that have coverage in places they don't like they have been.

and they don't have "no coverage" in Nevada. i had nearly a full signal from the Reno airport all the way to Tahoe and all around Tahoe, even on the slopes at Heavenly.

thomasfxlt

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2005
I just switched from Verizon to ATT and I've had the opposite experience. Coverage is better, service is better and most of all....the iPhone is better.

thomasfxlt

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2005

AT&T has announce the acquisition of Cellular One (Dobson Communications). They control the service in many of these markets. Announced June 30....

mrtune

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
All this talk about verizon crippling their phones is only half true.

While the regular phones, like the razr, are stripped down and redone, the pda phones and blackberries are not. I had a motorola q before switching to the iphone. There was no bluetooth crippling, no get it know crap, no vcast, no red os all over the place.

The only thing they added was a few programs and whatnot for better email capabilities and that's about it.

codpet

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2007
MULTI-YEAR EXCLUSIVE. What aren't people understanding about that? It doesn't matter if Apple wants Verizon, or if Verizon wants Apple. Apple has signed a multi-year exclusive deal with Cingular/AT&T. They cannot bail or they will be sued.

Some have said 2009, which would be 2 years. Could be longer.

Verizon might get it, but honestly I doubt it and the world will be a better place if they don't.

From what I read, it's going to be a 5 year contract, which makes more sense to me than say a 2 year contract.

Don't expect to see the iPhone on any other network any time soon.

I switched from Sprint to ATT/Cingular for the iPhone. Not only am I saving money on the plan, but the service is better in my area.

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
BUT - What I want to know is if the AT&T deal is for ALL versions/iterations of the iPhone - future design, next gen with tweaks, etc....... or if it's just THIS one version? I.e.; lets say the iPhone was an iPod, would the deal be for just the iPod and not other very very different versions (Nano, Shuffle)? Those are still iPods but different.
Know what I mean? AND, what are the standards AT&T has to meet else freeing Apple to split with them?

I would love to read the entire contract between them, learn the stipulations, loopholes, etc. (I personally don't much care who the provider is as long as they go to a faster service than EDGE)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.