Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

m3gau

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2007
hi guys im Lor and i am also after some ideas for a short film i need to do for school im want it to be a serious action film thats stirs emotoins kinda i just need a few starting tips 4 a theme ! :)

Seriously whats the point in making films if you can't be creative! (just thought i'd point that out)

If you looking for themes take something really serious like bullying or Aids or crime and do a short story about it. Bullying or AIDs or something would be very emotional if done right.
(i'd like to point out i'm only giving ideas out cos i have too many and not enough time to make them all and i refuse to be specific)

RappyaMurray

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2007
Short Film

Short Films are great because you can make a film using the simplest of ideas ...

If you want check out this little film my friends and I put together extremely quickly with a very simple idea of a boy being chased by a couple masked men http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJuMvVUh3LQ

please comment and tell me what you think constructive criticism is appreciated.

RappyaMurray

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2007
Short Film

Short Films are great because you can make a film using the simplest of ideas ...

If you want, check out this little film my friends and I put together extremely quickly with a very simple idea of a boy being chased by a couple masked men http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJuMvVUh3LQ

please comment and tell me what you think constructive criticism is appreciated.

Spizzo

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2004
Pacific NW

If you want, check out this little film my friends and I put together extremely quickly with a very simple idea of a boy being chased by a couple masked men http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJuMvVUh3LQ

A tripod would help with that camera shake.

m3gau

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2007
Cool. I made a similar film once. The only thing i'd say was you should have kept the chasers more scary and dramatic (all the jumping over rocks and walls was cool but it didn't work with the atmosphere) like you could have just shown a pair of feet running with out showing too much body. Makes them spookier as you have no idea as to who they are.

YoungCreative

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2007
Ohio

Along with the other good suggestions posted here, try shooting shots of the jumpers from both sides of the obstacle. Edit so you see a view from behind as they jump and then cut to a low angle shot from the other side of the obstacle as they jump over. This adds variety and creates more action with shorter shots.

I would also suggest a different selection for the soundtrack that isn't so laid back. Something more upbeat or a track that adds to the tension/drama.

Proto Media

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2006
Gnar Cal
best short film idea ever

so you start out with a guy waking up, and its obvious this guy has sever OCD. everything in his house is squeaky clean, and he has a routine that he follows every morning. The key is, you never see this guy talk, he just goes about his normal routine that he does every morning.

The narration sets in and start talking about " I am samuel johnson, and I am the best assassin in the world. I study my targets meticulously (show him reading the paper), and take the best care of myself ( show him brushing his teeth or somethin) and I am always thinkin one step ahead.

Then this OCD guy walks out the front door of his house, on his way to his car for work, and gets his head blown off. Then the camera shifts to somewhere else in the bushes, and shows a guy all in black with a sniper riffle, and he says "and that is why I am the best"

I think it would be cool cause if you did it right, the whole time you would be thinking that the guy getting ready is the sniper, getting ready to go and and get his target, but then in the last scene, you realize he is the target.

greendj

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2007
Movie Idea

It could be humorous to do a short comedy spoofing the stereotypical Hollywood movie writing progress. You have a small group of writers sitting in a room brainstorming on a movie idea and they have a checklist on a white board of each stereotypical element that a movie needs to be successful. But you have them being serious as they present each one and it is humorous in it's seriousness. For example, the board checklist would include:

1. Topless scene - You NEED that....
2. Lesbian Kiss - You NEED that...
3. Guy gets up and washes his face in the sink to clear his mind - Every movie has that...
4. Need to get a liberal dig in to the Republican president - Yes, the Hollywood powers will like that......
5. Feel good message - You NEED that.....

"Wait, we forgot to talk about the environment somehow........"

Everyone gets serious. You are RIGHT!!!

t.ali

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2009
great idea

Hey I would like to use your idea for a film I am making. I am a UCLA film school student and I would like to get your name so that I can credit you as a writer. It's perfect for a three camera studio with limited props, time and experience. I know you posted this a while ago and may not get this message but I hope you do.

Thanks in advance
T

so you start out with a guy waking up, and its obvious this guy has sever OCD. everything in his house is squeaky clean, and he has a routine that he follows every morning. The key is, you never see this guy talk, he just goes about his normal routine that he does every morning.

The narration sets in and start talking about " I am samuel johnson, and I am the best assassin in the world. I study my targets meticulously (show him reading the paper), and take the best care of myself ( show him brushing his teeth or somethin) and I am always thinkin one step ahead.

Then this OCD guy walks out the front door of his house, on his way to his car for work, and gets his head blown off. Then the camera shifts to somewhere else in the bushes, and shows a guy all in black with a sniper riffle, and he says "and that is why I am the best"

I think it would be cool cause if you did it right, the whole time you would be thinking that the guy getting ready is the sniper, getting ready to go and and get his target, but then in the last scene, you realize he is the target.

samtmansha

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2009
show a man sitting in a coffee shop

hes reading the paper and everything seems nice

the waitress comes and gives him a coffee which he gingerly sips on

flash back

its the kitchen... the person who is making the coffee cuts her finger off (i'll let u figure out how)

blood squirts everywhere as you cut slow motion to the severed finger falling into the coffee cup with a bunch of blood

you zoom into the cup and zoom out showing the cup just hitting the mans lips

you cut wide and in the background a girl is being rushed to the ER and the medic is screaming "wears the finger!"

people look around in frantic but the main guy doesn't seem to notice (he hasn't taken a sip yet cause something in the paper caught his attention..)

you then pan down to his pocket where an iPod is attached with the cord running up his shirt

the man takes a sip of his coffee and continues reading the paper

the camera pans out as an ambulance sits out side waiting and the lady is rushed out with the head medical man saying "we are not leaving without that finger!" and some jack johnson or something calm plays in the background

fade out....

chya...

Dear Phat_pat,

I really wanna make a movie for my IB film project on this; can u give me ur full name & permission so I could credit you. Please reply asap.

Thanks.

samtmansha

email me at samt_manshaATyahoo.COM

Rizvi1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
Maryland

Hey I would like to use your idea for a film I am making. I am a UCLA film school student and I would like to get your name so that I can credit you as a writer. It's perfect for a three camera studio with limited props, time and experience. I know you posted this a while ago and may not get this message but I hope you do.

Thanks in advance
T

agreed, this is an awesome film idea

RAGING DEMON

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2009
Hey Guys, I have to do a short film and I can't think of anything in terms of the story. Can you please help me? Maybe throw some ideas out in to the atmoshpere. :D It can be about anything. Thanks!

i write scrips , i can sell you one, ill send you a small act before you commit to paying me $1! in all seriousness, if you want any help with scripting, or what not , send me a message!

i also make short films,

ktooth

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2009
It starts with an idea........

Wow you guys have some fantastic Ideas! One or two have been picked out on the discussion board for a media project that I am doing. Is going to be a short film of fifteen minutes made entirely by people I have met on Facebook!

Want to get involved?? follow the link! :D

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=196431712826

stacy1986

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2009
Short Films

Hi, Ive seen that you are all throwing ideas around for Short Films. My friend is a broadcast media graduate from Derby University in England, and she has just started a facebook group called 'It starts with an Idea....'
She is trying to recruit as many members as possible to take part in the short film....anything from generating ideas, writing scripts, editing, filming, acting, props....you name it. Its going to be a mass film project, and the more people that get involved, the more interesting this will become!
Obviously you are all interesting in short films, so I think this group would be right up your street, and its an fab opportunity to be a part of something massive, thats never been done before!!!
go to http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?t...&uid=196431712826#/group.php?gid=196431712826 or search for 'It starts with an Idea.....' on facebook...join the group....post your ideas for short films on the discussion boards and we will take it from there! This could be really exciting!! Get involved!!!

Adam44

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2010
Originally Posted by Proto Media

As is said above I know its been awhile since you posted on here but just wanted to let you know that I wrote a script based on your idea and if I were going to go any further than that I'd need your details to put in the credits :)

Richardthe4th

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2008
Below Sealevel
commercial prisons with people put in it to keep things running actually exist: in the u. s. of a.

a woman in prison accused of murder but with the victim still alive actually exists: in afghanistan

so if your imagination isn't enough, check out the real world, it is crazier then you can ever imagine

or get a job in a real world company, that is a theater stage with a play, unbelievable

isn't this a nice world. if you see the fun of it, it's great :))

but seriously, if you don't have imagination (as an art major??) start with a premisse and make a story out of that.

ok: the day after the internet and mobile phones stopped working ;-)

cheers

SideStream

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2010
script

im writing the script for a crime film and was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to incorporate detectives in to it but still keep i edgy and hard. all the ways ive tried have just turned out cheesy

badboykthp

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2010
I have an idea for a science fiction movie about the struggle between past and future. The idea that suddenly appeared after I watched the Discovery Channel documentary about the discovery of secret BECMUDA triangle. If you're really interested, contact me via the address: vinhdaodac@yahoo.com.vn

hayelz127

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2010
hey i was wondering if i could use that idea fro a short film festival, i would modify it a bit but please? it is so clever!:)

tyrewjr

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2011
Thanks!

Well I basically stole this idea.. LOL but I would love to give you credit!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRtI_99oXhY
Could I get your name or something so you can get the credit? thanks!

jsf721

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2011
Li, NY
OK-You make a movie where the main character keep running into these crazy people at the Gas station, the supermarket, the lunch place and he is a dr in a hospital. and he writes and dictates alot of notes for his assistant to type. In the end, he is the crazy and he is amental patient. The assistant is the nurse on his floor and the rest is a dream. You pull back from a window and it ends up he is a well dressed metal patient in a paded cell.

the end.

salacious

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2011
what equipment do you have exactly to shoot this short film, that then could help inspire your possibilities...

i mean you could do anime or something..
or you could do a documentary style..
or you could just film a whole load of crap that doesnt make sense and make the people watching it go OHHHHH.

Boe11

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2010
What kind of length are you shooting for? 10m? Feature length?

Any other parameters? Is it for school? For fun? For a contest?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.