Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattcube64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 21, 2006
Missouri
At first, I thought it was just a fluke... I'd be browsing Safari, and out of nowhere, my iPhone would revert itself to the home screen, as if I had hit the home button. It has done this a few times in Safari now.

I could ignore it.

However, now, when I've got music playing through the "iPod," and I'm browsing Safari... the music randomly stops all the time. I can't seem to even get through an entire song without it just stopping. I then have to go back to the "iPod" and hit play again. And no, I'm not hitting the little do-dad on my earphones.

Any ideas what's wrong?

I just did a RESTORE through iTunes... and I'm currently in the process of re-syncing everything. I'll report back tomorrow... hopefully it fixes the problem. However... has anyone else run into this?

brasscat

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
Dallas, Texas
You're not the only one. Many people have experiencing cascading crashes, especially around Safari use. The remedy is to perform a hard reset (holding home+sleep buttons for a few seconds). This seems to restore stability, at least for a while.

opticalserenity

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
I think we'll see a software update soon. I can't imagine apple upper management will be happy about their new phones :rolleyes:

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
The iPhone demo in the store was doing this to me in all apps; Safari lasted the shortest time. I assumed it was just a demo model (like game systems turn themselves off every five minutes sometimes).

leviut

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2007
Austin
apps closing.. NO stereo bluetooth!!!!

:confused: I have that problem as well. Youtube and Safari have both just quiut on me randomly. If I listen to the ipod and surf the net, sometimes the music just stops.

It's something you don't want to deal with considering the cost of the phone. This is the small price we pay as the first iPhone users, I guess.

It's worth it!!!

Also, there is no stereo bluetooth... so I cannot wirelessly send pictures to and from my phone, and other files. That SUCKS!!! Last year, my friend used his crappy ass, prepaid, Motorola phone to send a picture to my MacBook!! And my $600 iPhone has NO bluetooth functions.

NO WAY!!!!:confused:

Dermot81

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2007
I think its a memory issue. I've noticed if I'm doing several things concurrently (especially multiple pages in safari), the chances of a home screen revert increase dramatically.

Salty Pirate

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2005
kansas city
well is everyone experiencing this or do I have a dud? A soft reset helps, but the bottom line is I cannot have the ipod playing music and go browse, the ipod part quits. I am also getting dropped back to the desktop from within safari and google maps from time to time.

Some pages will crash safari to the desktop every-time I hit them like ESPNs NFL site.

Do I wait for an update or return my phone for another one???

ashVID

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
Restarting every morning has pretty much solved this for me...

ash =o)

tttexxan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
I was trying that out and happen to me as well

going to do a soft reset and see how that effects it.

tttexxan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
yepper soft reset fix it without a problem...What is happening is probably alot of software all running in the background at once....Doing a soft reset everything is working fine...Probably not a bad idea to soft reset anyway every know and then...

badtzmaru

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
visit http://developer.apple.com/iphone/designingcontent.html

and then click on Know What Safari Supports on iPhone

to see why Safari might be crashing.

"Any downloaded resource, whether it’s HTML, CSS, JavaScript, images, or non-streamed media, must be less than 10 MB. The 10-MB limit applies to the encoded size of images. There is also a limit to the decoded size of images. See “Optimize Images.”

JavaScript execution is limited to 5 seconds for each top-level entry point. If your script executes longer than 5 seconds, an exception is raised. This timeout ensures that JavaScript execution does not prevent the user from interacting with your page or navigating elsewhere."

tttexxan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
i wouldnt return it for this....If you do you might get one with that same issue and something more....if everything else is working dont sweat it...I dont listen and surf like that anyway...but mine seems to be working fine now...they will most likely address in a software update

tttexxan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
I talked to the apple store today and they said you need to be loging this on the apple website under feedback so they know of the issue....They siad shouldnt be a problem with a software update...

swdesignr

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2007
New Mexico
Is this happening on EDGE + WiFi?

Started happening to me today -- thought it might be the EDGE network. Does it happen on WiFi too?

lilnyc

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
I think its a memory issue. I've noticed if I'm doing several things concurrently (especially multiple pages in safari), the chances of a home screen revert increase dramatically.

That makes sense. I don't think there's a way to completely close out of an app after using it, so the would naturally pile up in the cache and resolve after a reboot, which everyone seems to be doing.

Trent0341

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2007
Just doing the earlier mentioned hard reset fixed the problem for me. Thanks for the advice, I was worried I got a lemon. I love this phone... Posting from it now actually

swss2003

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2007
Mobile,AL
My iPhone is closing out of ALL the apps and within like 5-10 seconds of opening it... and my little touch screen to open it doesnt slide , i hit the home page button and it takes me to the main screen. whats the deal with that, anyone else having these problems?:confused:

XjeffX

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2004
this japeme to me a pot also. Its random. Lack of memory I suppose. I think its unacceptable for such an expensive phone. Issues like these are making m seriously consider returningn it.
Yes, a reser helps but it will happen again sooner or later.

ctakim

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2006
There may be issues with doing hard resets, according to a few posts, but you can make the problem go away by just powering down the phone and restarting every few days. Hold the "sleep" button down until you see the power off slider screen. Slide to off, then press the "sleep" button again to power back on and you will see the apple screen. After about 4 days I had my Safari browser quitting after several minutes repeatedly. Since I did this it has not happened again!:)

eddybarr

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2007
My Iphone started to freeze this morning. I couldn't even go into the menu screen. It froze right on the screen where you have to swipe your finger to unlock the phone. The slider just freezes and it does nothing. I had to hard reset my phone in order to work again. I hope this is not a habit for the Iphone.

eddybarr

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2007
My Iphone started to freeze this morning. I couldn't even go into the menu screen. It froze right on the screen where you have to swipe your finger to unlock the phone. The slider just freezes and it does nothing. I had to hard reset my phone in order to work again. I hope this is not a habit for the Iphone.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
I think we'll see a software update soon. I can't imagine apple upper management will be happy about their new phones :rolleyes:

Well, I think everyone is pretty proud actually since the iPhone is a feat of engineering.

With that said, I am sure a month or so ago Apple had to take the best build they had, knowing full well there were serious bugs, notably around the webkit and Safari, and shipped it.

Since then, I imagine people have been crushing bugs left and right. I don't think we'll see a patch soon since I am sure Apple will want to make sure this next version is very, very stable. But I imagine in the next month or so...

Daiden

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2007
Chicago, IL
Yeah, mine crashes fairly often, with Safari causing the most trouble. Quicktimes movie trailer site runs incredibly slow too which is disappointing. Still love the phone though. :)

I'm sure updates are on their way.

I'm on my iPhone by the way. Typed this in about two minutes. ;)

Started happening to me today -- thought it might be the EDGE network. Does it happen on WiFi too?
I had some crazy Safari crashing earlier this morning, until I shut off my iPhone and turned it on again. I realize it hadn't been shut off in days (close to a week of sleeping or charging while showing pictures). Kind of interesting. After shutting it down (holding "sleep" button at the top, sliding RED slider, a rebooting with Apple logo) its now back to normal.

~ CB

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.