Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sky Blue

Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
Maybe now you can cut back on hours at your second job?

Although Sony has yet to confirm a price drop officially, GameDaily BIZ has received confirmation from the retail sector that the PS3 will be dropped to $499 next week. Sony itself recently talked about "refining" the PS3 price. Now it appears to be happening.

A PS3 price cut rumor spread like wildfire across the Internet this afternoon when several sites spotted a new advertisement from Circuit City. The ad as seen on Kotaku lists the PS3 console at $499.99, $100 less than its current price.

It wasn't clear at first if this ad was a special deal specific to the electronics retailer or if it's indeed a retail-wide price cut instituted by Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA). As it turns out, a merchandising manager (who wished to remain anonymous) at one of the world's biggest retailers has confirmed to GameDaily BIZ that the price drop is indeed retail-wide and it's scheduled to take place on July 12, although the first wave of ads to promote the PS3's new price won't kick in until Sunday, July 15.

Many analysts have speculated that Sony would drop the price on the expensive console this year, and some even predicted that it could happen this summer. It's starting to look like they were right. We're sure to find out much more next week when Sony holds its press conference at E3.

SCEA when contacted for confirmation declined to comment.

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=16721

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
...oh dear.

...really glad I haven't bought a 360 or PS3 yet. I'm going to sit this one out for a while.

Currently I want an XBox 360 for better software and lower price. However, traditionally I've preferred the games that come on Sony consoles to Microsoft (RPG > FPS on a console IMHO, and I love me my Kingdom Hearts). If all things were equal (game library and pricing) I'd buy a PS3 over a 360 simply because of free online play and the ability to install Linux; but the 360's game library and price trumps that.

I'll wait. If Sony's game library gets better, I'd be interested. I doubt I'll get both systems.

Additionally, the outcome of the format war matters a lot. HD-DVD has the lower price and higher sales in the U.K....Blu-ray has higher sales in the U.S., but that has been attributed also to PS3 owners without games to buy by some so it's not a shoe-in victory. I don't want to cause a debate, I simply think neither is guaranteed to win yet as despite Blu-ray's lead neither has sold hardly anything.

If Blu-ray wins, PS3 gains major points. If HD-DVD wins, XBox 360 gains a few points because of the add-on capability. Neither matters to me yet because:
1) I don't want to buy in to a losing format
2) I don't have a HDTV or surround sound so it doesn't even matter.

When I buy a HDTV I'll buy one of the two consoles.

I wish they (Sony) kept the 20 GB model and brought the price to $399, but I'm not going to complain about a good thing.

I'd say this is a good step for Sony towards catching up with Microsoft, except that Microsoft is likely to drop the price any day now too. Still, bravo Sony, bravo.

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
There is a Circuit City ad that confirms this(kind of).....I have seen it.

[EDIT] btw - since PS3 release in Europe/UK Blu-Ray sales(I can't remember exactly if its HD sales in general or BD sales specifically) have gone up 1000%.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Wait. If $100=£50, and games are £50. Then that's nothing here. They're already giving away a free game with full price PS3s. Unless they're going to knock a further £50 off that price (down to £380, still a huge eek).

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
Good I guess but still not enough really, I somehow doubt people will flock to buy a PS3 for $500, but better than a kick in the ass with a frozen boot.

I am surprised MS hasn;t been more aggressive and dropped their price. The Core 360 could easily compete price wise with the Wii. And with Halo 3 around the bend... a nice little price drop + Halo 3...

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
Keep the price drops coming. I want Metal Gear Solid 4 to be an affordable experience :D

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Details Make The 5 FREE Blu-ray® Movies Not Such A Deal

Add the 5 free BD Movies:

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/news/show/High-Def_Disc_Marketing/Blu-ray_Disc_Association_Offers_Five_Free_Discs_Player_Promotion/725

and you've got a deal!

They really had to. With the Wii selling 6 to 1 on their home turf, Toshiba dropping the price of the HD DVD player and all their free movies, Sony had to do something.

Question: Is the new unit like the UK one, leaving out the PS2 chipset?
You are only allowed to choose one film from each of 5 "categories". So you can't really choose from 20 films at all.
  1. The Guardian, Pearl Harbor, Invincible, Chicken Little
  2. Corpse Bride, Phantom of the Opera, Blazing Sadles
  3. Stealth, Resident Evil 2, Underworld Evolution, Stir of Echoes
  4. The Itialian Job, Black Rain, Babel, Devil's Rejects
  5. Kiss of the Dragon, The Omen 666, The Transporter 2, Species, Hart's War, The Last Waltz
You can only have one from each set of choices making it not really a choice of from 20.

Guess I'll have to wait for what they come up with for Christmas.

Attachments

• 5FREEMoviesBlu-rayOffer.jpg
    5FREEMoviesBlu-rayOffer.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 148

Pine-Tree

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2005
Arizona, USA
well that's interesting...I just bought a PS3 the other day...if this price drop does come into effect...can I get the difference?? I bought it at Best Buy...do any of you guys know if there's a 30 day price drop guarantee or something like that??

steamboat26

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2006
Arlington VA
Even if this did stimulate more consumers to buy the PS3, sony is losing more money for every console sold, so they have to rely on selling a lot of games/accessories, but there library of games is limited at the moment, so unless a lot of people decide to buy PS3s, this probably won't do anything.

well that's interesting...I just bought a PS3 the other day...if this price drop does come into effect...can I get the difference?? I bought it at Best Buy...do any of you guys know if there's a 30 day price drop guarantee or something like that??

I used to work at Best Buy, should be a 30 day return policy, so you take the receipt back to best buy, and they credit you $100 back to your card, or in cash, depending on how you paid.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
good for the us....I think Sony has a good system on there hands, but the problem for the high end system(Xbox last gen) has been getting people to see the price is worth the games the system gets

Pine-Tree

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2005
Arizona, USA
I used to work at Best Buy, should be a 30 day return policy, so you take the receipt back to best buy, and they credit you $100 back to your card, or in cash, depending on how you paid.

Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely go back to get the credit if the price drop comes next week. :D

Abe

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
people would be all over the system if it had a better game library. there aren't enough good games and not enough good exclusives to warrant its price. dropping the price $100 isn't going to change sony's poor showing in the next-gen console wars. bring out final fantasy xiii and metal gear solid 4 and a couple others. come on, sony, it's about the software.

Haoshiro

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2006
USA, OR
Well this is would be their official proof that they are doing BADLY with PS3. Has a console system EVER dropped it's price in less then a year of its retail release??

Personally, though, I think they need more of a cut then that. If they dropped to $399 or $449 they'd probably really start to push sales, $499 is still just not where they need to be.

Microsoft can beat them in any price cut, and get to the sub-$200 price point before they ever can. Even the $399/$299 price-point of 360 is too high for a lot of people...

Sky Blue

Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
Well this is would be their official proof that they are doing BADLY with PS3. Has a console system EVER dropped it's price in less then a year of its retail release??

Yes, last generation:

Both the GameCube and the Xbox had quick price drops after six months (from $200 to $150 and $300 to $200 respectively) and the PlayStation 2 lasted 19 months before it dropped from $300 to $200.

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5883&Itemid=2

Mr. MacBook

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2007
no offense but id pick a 360 over ps3 anyday, good games, and wii is just better than all, because of super smash bros :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.