Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hauntedcity

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2007
I've ripped a few of my DVDs for use on Apple TV and have been mostly pleased with the quality. I just use the Apple TV presets. However, I tried ripping a Baby Einstein DVD (for my baby, not me :eek: ), and the resulting file has lots of horizontal "ghost" lines during playback. A still picture looks great, but with any action I see the horizontal lines.

Has anyone else seen something similar? Is there a way around this?

FOLLOW UP: Okay, I may have found the problem. Apparently, I should try selecting "deinterlace" in Handbrake. Silly me for searching for "lines" when I should have searched for "interlace". It's so obvious! :p

APPLENEWBIE

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2006
The high desert, USA
Okay, I may have found the problem. Apparently, I should try selecting "deinterlace" in Handbrake. Silly me for searching for "lines" when I should have searched for "interlace". It's so obvious! :p

Thanks for the tip.. I have been having similar problems with a DVD disc I have been working with... I will try it!

hauntedcity

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2007
did it only happen the baby einstein dvd?? or a few of them.. ok so to fix it just deinterlace, easy :) thnks for the tip

I didn't realize it at the time, but it happened when I loaded a Billy Joel DVD, too. And I had loaded each video one at a time! At least I know about using the queue now. It sure helps to actually read the documentation, eh?

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
I didn't realize it at the time, but it happened when I loaded a Billy Joel DVD, too. And I had loaded each video one at a time! At least I know about using the queue now. It sure helps to actually read the documentation, eh?

oh hhmm. does the deinterlace thing work for you?? ive never had to use it my videos always seem to come out good. must be something. haha queues are good, but not if u have many dvds. :(

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
oh hhmm. does the deinterlace thing work for you?? ive never had to use it my videos always seem to come out good. must be something. haha queues are good, but not if u have many dvds. :(

Important: Use deinterlace when the source material is interlaced. Don't use deinterlace when the source material is _not_ interlaced, because it will only waste time and reduce the quality. Material that was made for TV is usually interlaced, material that was made for cinema usually isn't.

Use the preview button and check a few frames whether they show the typical signs of interlaced video to decide whether to use deinterlace or not.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Important: Use deinterlace when the source material is interlaced. Don't use deinterlace when the source material is _not_ interlaced, because it will only waste time and reduce the quality. Material that was made for TV is usually interlaced, material that was made for cinema usually isn't.

Use the preview button and check a few frames whether they show the typical signs of interlaced video to decide whether to use deinterlace or not.

ok thankyou for the tip. alot of my tv recordings come out crap, here in australia we dont yet have good signal. a lot of people are still on analogue. digital is slowly finding its way into homes. australia is VERY far behind :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.