Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Am I the only one crazy enough to think that the XBox 360 and the Nintendo Wii looks like they are clearly copying Apple's signature products? Then again, MS did copy an entire OS with Windows Vista ;)

sonarghost

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2006
I'm not too sure about the xbox360 but when I got my Wii my fiance said it looks like something that apple would design...and I think she's right!:p

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO
Am I the only one crazy enough to think that the XBox 360 and the Nintendo Wii looks like they are clearly copying Apple's signature products?

Copying...why.?
Because they're both white?
The Wii is glossy?

I guess then you believe that Apple owns all patents, trademarks, and copyrights of anything pertaining to the color white then, eh? :rolleyes:

Then again, MS did copy an entire OS with Windows Vista ;)

Yes, as if one has to do with the other.
OS X = BSD.
Vista copied what exactly..? Windows?
erm...ok then.
Go start a thread in another forum where this belongs and see how far it goes. :rolleyes:

michaelltd

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2005
I believe if the Wii were of Apple design, for one thing the buttons would be touch sensitive similar to the power and brightness ones on the side of the cinema displays.

The 360 looks like it took some design cues from a Dell model I've seen at work.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
360 looks as far from an Apple product as you're going to get. It's hideous.

The Wii does look Apple-ish, same for the DS Lite. They are all very similar.

pcypert

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2006
Bangkok
I'll give you DS Lite. The 360 not so much. It's better than the Xbox1 that's for sure...but not near apple. In all my design classes apple is the standard on a lot of things though...from product design to packaging and presentation...

Paul

greatdevourer

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2005
I believe if the Wii were of Apple design, for one thing the buttons would be touch sensitive similar to the power and brightness ones on the side of the cinema displays.

The 360 looks like it took some design cues from a Dell model I've seen at work.
Yeah... the 360 looks like a white Dell. I guess the Wii and DSLite are what a lot of people refer to as "Apple White", but they're not really Apple inspired...

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
DS yes.
Wii some what, but that horrid plastic stand would never pass, maybe if it was alluminium...
360 a little bit.

Packaging wise though Nintendo are completely using the Apple packaging template down to a tee.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
The DS Lite box more so, they have the same "matte" effect as iPod boxes, down the the raised and shiny graphic.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
The DS Lite box more so, they have the same "matte" effect as iPod boxes, down the the raised and shiny graphic.

And Pokemon Diamond lets you spin a wheel on the touch screen to scroll through a long list in the Pokedex!

lol, and the DS Lite matches my MacBook.

I dunno, I don't think they're really taking design cues from Apple. At least, not a lot. Apple's smaller systems are metallic (see cube, mini), not white, only the iMac/eMac/MacBook were white, so the Wii doesn't fit that design scheme, and none of Apple systems have blue like the Wii.

The DS Lite resembles Apple a bit, but only the white one.

luftwaffles08

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2007
i seem to remember when MS was developing the Xbox 360, they did some sort of focus group poll for what color they associated with "high quality electronics." The results, which were around the same time the iPod had about 95% of the mp3 player market, reflected Apple's dominance. Almost all of the people polled said that White was what they associated with high quality electronics rather than the black seen by most other electronics manufacturers at the time.

So do I think MS copied Apple's design? No. Do I think they were inspired by Apple's reputation in the electronics market? Yes.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
I'm going to say no to the consoles and maybe to the DS.

Xbox360 looks exactly like a dell cpu and wii just doesn't have it. I don't even think all of apple products are that good looking(well the older products)

Bless

Vidd

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2006
Someone posted a great comparison picture showing similarities between Nintendo's and Apple's products even including the coloured/translucent N64s which looked extremely similar to the iMac G3s.

Nintendo did not, as you suggest, copy Apple products in its designs. The Wii is basically a thick SD card shape with glossy white plastic. Big whoop. :p
Vista is a different matter!

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
MD
I'll bite, but just for the Wii. When I first saw it I said that it looked Apple-esque.

But as for the 360 no way. It's white and the similarity ends there.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
apple_nintendo.jpg

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO
Yeah, I really don't get why some people find the 360 attractive. I'll 2nd, 3d, or I guess 12th the whole Dell comparison

I like the 360.
Like the Wii too.
Ps3 is a little too monolithic IMO.

I'll add that I think consoles laying horizontally look stupid at this point in time. IMO Ps2 [slim], 360, Wii all look better vertically.

I've said it before, I'll say it again...best looking console is and will always be the TurboDuo IMO. Way ahead of its time. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.