Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SpankyPenzaanz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2006
Sweet, but i'm kinda annoyed i spent money on a warranty through best buy for 2 years, but now i'm covered for 3 years in the case of hardware failure

To quote Homer Simpson : 'Extended Warranty How Can I fail' u do realize store warranties are upwards of 90%profit for the store as they count on u not using the warranty or the store fiding a means to excuse themselves out of their obligations

Any way nice of M$ to do so and I thought I read they will be retroactively sending refunds. I wonder since I bought mine with my AMEX if that means my covergae is 6years;)

brobson

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Dallas
They are going to take huge losses on this, but good for all 360 owners
Open Letter from Peter Moore

Sweet, but i'm kinda annoyed i spent money on a warranty through best buy for 2 years, but now i'm covered for 3 years in the case of hardware failure

I am trying to find a used xbox. One I am interested in said he never mailed the warranty info in so if I bought it, I would be covered. Is this accurate?
I'd sure appreciate some answers. Its the basic xbox for 275. Is that a good deal? Anyone out there have a better suggestion or have one for that price or less? Please advise quickly: son's bday present.
Thanks in advance.

Markleshark

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2006
Carlisle, Up Norf!
Will this be international? Or is it just for those very lucky people in the US, Asia and other first world countries?

Global, I'd say. :)

This will take a few days to roll out globally, and I appreciate your continued patience as we launch this program. I've posted an FAQ that should address some additional questions, and we'll update it over the next few days.

steamboat26

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 25, 2006
Arlington VA
To quote Homer Simpson : 'Extended Warranty How Can I fail' u do realize store warranties are upwards of 90%profit for the store as they count on u not using the warranty or the store fiding a means to excuse themselves out of their obligations

Any way nice of M$ to do so and I thought I read they will be retroactively sending refunds. I wonder since I bought mine with my AMEX if that means my covergae is 6years;)
Yes, i know all that, and i used to work for best buy. I also happen to know that the majority of best buy employees aren't too bright, such that i could bring in my 360, say it doesn't work, and they will take my word for it.

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO
Good recovery; like I said in the $1B thread, the 360 is a great system, they just need to go back to the drawing board and work on a better cooling solution. Better heatsinks, better fans, better exhaust, get the 65nm chips mass produced...if a system is sent in for repairs, swap out everything and give the troubled parties a new 65nm system for their hassle. That's the way to save face, and that's what they need to do. All these failures and problems are going to scare away potential buyers of the Xbox 720 or WTF they call the next system they release.

SpankyPenzaanz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2006
Yes, i know all that, and i used to work for best buy. I also happen to know that the majority of best buy employees aren't too bright, such that i could bring in my 360, say it doesn't work, and they will take my word for it.

So you plan to rely on taking advantage of 'not too bright employees'. I worked retail for a few months and saw your kind turned down many times. Probably not the wisest of moves. Honestly this would be a case where I put more faith in M$. This is afterrall a goodwill gesture. Anyway lets hope you don't have to use either option and you can keep gaming without interuption. :D

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Good move by MS - even if it's likely to be costly.

I had to send mine back with a dud DVD drive, and it came back fine but within a few weeks is already showing early symptoms of the same issue (in-game music skipping tracks after a few seconds). I may be availing of this warranty quite a bit! :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.