Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jayeskreezy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2005
How much space do you allot on your hard drive for BootCamp/VMWare/or Parallels? Is 15gb too little?

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
isn't that up to you to decide? my partition or space used is usually about a third to a half of the current drive size for bootcamp, and about 10gb for vmware/parallels.

matthewdavid

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2006
Cumming, GA
I've found 30 gig to be a sweet spot for me. With VS2005, the MSDN Library, Office and other programming tools, I use up about half of it.

I like having the other 14-15 gig for projects and trial software. It feels like it's just enough to not worry about running out of disk space.

barr08

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2006
Boston, MA
I gave my bootcamp partition like 60 gigs, and I ran out of room. I play a lot of games, and I don't like to uninstall, as I sometimes get wierd cravings to play games I finished months ago. I started installing games on my external, which works great. That is always an option if you decide on too little room.

WirelessInn

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2007
New Mexico
How much space do you allot for BootCamp/VMWare/or Parallels?

I gave my bootcamp partition like 60 gigs, and I ran out of room. I play a lot of games, and I don't like to uninstall, as I sometimes get wierd cravings to play games I finished months ago. I started installing games on my external, which works great. That is always an option if you decide on too little room.

New to the Mac world - brand new MBP w. 160 gb 7200 rpm drive. I have not purchased nor installed any new progs on the Mac side. I do plan to install BootCamp/ Win XP (as oppposed to Parallels/Win - since graphics are not well handled in a virtual environment apparently!). Say, barr08, what games do you play: I am hanging around here to check about feasability to play MS Flight Sim X (my only favored "game" on the BC/Win side of the Mac. Do you know about this?

- Roger T

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
Would a game like MS Flight Sim require a MBP-like graphics card? Or would the Macbook handle this game?

barr08

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2006
Boston, MA
New to the Mac world - brand new MBP w. 160 gb 7200 rpm drive. I have not purchased nor installed any new progs on the Mac side. I do plan to install BootCamp/ Win XP (as oppposed to Parallels/Win - since graphics are not well handled in a virtual environment apparently!). Say, barr08, what games do you play: I am hanging around here to check about feasability to play MS Flight Sim X (my only favored "game" on the BC/Win side of the Mac. Do you know about this?

- Roger T

Would a game like MS Flight Sim require a MBP-like graphics card? Or would the Macbook handle this game?

I try and play every new game that gets good reviews, but I only religiously play CS:S. So far, my relatively old iMac has stood the test of time, and still plays any new games at full, or near-full graphics.

That being said, FSX is a very very graphically intensive game. After checking out the specs, I can safely say that a new MBP with 2-3 gigs of ram would play the game with decent results. You would not even get off the ground on a macbook, unfortunately. A new MBP, iMac or mac pro is your only bet for this game. You can feel good about a MBP with this game, in my opinion.

Make sure you give enough free space to bootcamp, though, as the game itself takes like 15 gigs of space.

WirelessInn

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2007
New Mexico

I try and play every new game that gets good reviews, but I only religiously play CS:S. So far, my relatively old iMac has stood the test of time, and still plays any new games at full, or near-full graphics.

That being said, FSX is a very very graphically intensive game.
Make sure you give enough free space to bootcamp, though, as the game itself takes like 15 gigs of space.

Thanks for the prompt reply and advice, barr08. I actually played FSX on my new Dell 9400/2.16ghz/1gb mem quite successfully an smoothly, despite claims that 2gb is a minimum for FSX. So, barring some other factors regarding Win implementation on the MBP via BootCamp (Wn is supposed to run quite "natively" in this mode, right?), my MBP with a better processor, faster HD, more mem should do OK. So.... Do you know about what MIGHT be an obstacle to successful playing of FSX on a full power MBP? Graphics? Drivers? I'd be curious to know, before I run out and buy a full copy of Win XP or Vista (I understand that Vista has a larger footprint than XP). Tanks for the info again!

- Roger T

barr08

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2006
Boston, MA
Thanks for the prompt reply and advice, barr08. I actually played FSX on my new Dell 9400/2.16ghz/1gb mem quite successfully an smoothly, despite claims that 2gb is a minimum for FSX. So, barring some other factors regarding Win implementation on the MBP via BootCamp (Wn is supposed to run quite "natively" in this mode, right?), my MBP with a better processor, faster HD, more mem should do OK. So.... Do you know about what MIGHT be an obstacle to successful playing of FSX on a full power MBP? Graphics? Drivers? I'd be curious to know, before I run out and buy a full copy of Win XP or Vista (I understand that Vista has a larger footprint than XP). Tanks for the info again!

- Roger T

Since I have no experience with the game, I was just speculating about the performance based on the system reqs and the specs of the mbp. However, because you have success running it on a system that is less powerful in many ways than the mbp, I do not see anything that would stand in your way. Remember, running xp or vista through bootcamp is no different than running these operating systems on a pc box.

I have a feeling you will be very satisfied and impressed with the performance of your new computer in both os x and xp/vista.

WirelessInn

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2007
New Mexico

Thanks all. I feel better about my MBP purchase when I get on this forum indeed. i had actually ordered 2 laptops - the MBP and a HP dv9500t loaded with everything. Wanted to remain compatible with Win stuff, while willing to experiment with the Mac's vaunted audio/video capabilities. I have masses of photos and old videos (starting from the Betamax days!) which I need to put together and preserve. Seems that iLife and other such environments would do the job.
I decided to keep the Mac and return the HP. We'll see, especially once I have installed BootCamp and Windows!
- Roger T

iBunny

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2004
I alot an even 32GB of space for it. Format in NTFS, and im Good to go.

This is deffinatly enough space for Windows, Office, a few misc programs, and games with a little room left over, just in case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.