Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dapetrun

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2006
Western Pennsylvania
I have the last generation of the iPod Mini before it was superceded by the Nano, and I have recently had trouble turning it off. It seems that when I hold the pause/play button for several seconds, it goes to sleep instead of shutting down. I have the "sleep" setting in Menu turned to off but this has no bearing on the outcome. With my iPod completely charged, my iPod drains to near nothing in a matter of days without ever being played because the unit is sleeping instead of completely shutting down.

HOW CAN I SHUT THIS IPOD DOWN/OFF COMPLETELY SO THAT A REBOOT IS NECESSARY WHEN TURNING IT BACK ON???

Any suggestions is greatly appreciated. Thanks...

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
HOW CAN I SHUT THIS IPOD DOWN/OFF COMPLETELY SO THAT A REBOOT IS NECESSARY WHEN TURNING IT BACK ON???
Use the hold switch on top after you've put it to sleep. Since it is not looking to read the click wheel, it'll turn off on its own shortly.

B

dapetrun

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2006
Western Pennsylvania
Lock Switch doesn't help...

Thanks balamw:
I forgot to mention that this is SOP (standard operating procedure) but it doesn't make any difference if the lock switch is set or not. It can set idle for an hour or a day or a week and as soon as I unlock the switch it immediately lights up at the last song that was playing (if any battery juice remains). I haven't seen a reboot now for several months. I tried resetting the iPod to default settings a number of times. Nothing works. :(

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
There isn't anyway to turn an iPod "off" as far as I am aware, "sleep" is considered off. The iPod is meant to hold the place where the last song was. Not seeing the reboot sign means that your iPod is functioning. Generally one will see that after a few days of the Hard Drive being idle so i'm not sure why yours hasn't...

If you are worried about the software try doing a full restore via iTunes (resetting it will just change the iPod back to default factory settings such as not having the time in the title etc), bearing in mind that will wipe all data from your iPod.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Generally one will see that after a few days of the Hard Drive being idle so i'm not sure why yours hasn't...
FWIW if I lock my 5G it'll reboot in the morning, but I don't know at what point it switched off. Without the lock it'll take days.

dapetrun, could you have a defective lock switch?

B

KD7IWP

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2004
American living in Canada
There was an update for the 5G firmware and it caused them to shut off even earlier. Mine originally took about 24 hours of down time to actually shut off. After an update a year ago, it started to shut off after about 10-12 hours. This seemed to happen to many people. I don't like it as much since I don't like it booting up each day.

dapetrun

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2006
Western Pennsylvania
Thanks to all that replied. I will look for an update as I am sure my iPod will need to shut-off at some time. Anything within 24 hours is certainly better than never. I sometimes go a week or two between listening to my songs and it is a pain in the arse to have to charge the iPod each and every time I go to use it. Thanks again everyone.

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
FWIW if I lock my 5G it'll reboot in the morning, but I don't know at what point it switched off. Without the lock it'll take days.

dapetrun, could you have a defective lock switch?

B
You are right, mine does the did the same thing (it got stolen so i don't have a 5th G now) but i just said a couple days as a generalization because previous iPods i've had have had them stay asleep more than one day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.