Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noodle654

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 2, 2005
Never Ender
Hi guys!

I have an iBook G4 1.42Ghz with 1.5GB of RAM. I have noticed lately (past month) that it has been slowing down...A BIG SLOW DOWN. You would think even with 1.5GB of RAM, there should be no slow down, but I guess I was wrong. I did a Hardware test using the install disks and everything is OK. Should I erase my HD and just re-install OS X? If you guys got any other suggestions please let me know. Any help would be great!

Thanks a ton!

Matt

iSaint

macrumors 603
I had a 1.07g iBook die on me a few months ago. For the $280 repair fee they replaced the harddrive and the logic board.

Of course, if you have AppleCare, it's under warranty! Either way the Genius Bar at any Apple Store will help you diagnose it for free.

And to answer your question, if you can do an archive and install it certainly will not hurt. Even the wonderful OS X needs a clean install every once in awhile. :D

Good luck and let us know how things progress.

PS you might also try removing any third party hardware such as RAM or Aiport Express Card to see how it runs without them.

noodle654

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 2, 2005
Never Ender
Thanks for the quick reply.

I will install a freshcoat tonight. But, when I install, should I totally erase the hard drive on Disk Utility and then just install using the install CD's? Or just put the disk in and copy over my stuff? I already have all the stuff saved on my external.

noodle654

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 2, 2005
Never Ender
There's a thread somewhere...some people claim that 10.4.10 slowed down their computers, but it seems pretty inconsistent... let me dig it up.

EDIT: Here it is:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/329031/

Thanks for the reply, I just read it and I am wondering....but, it seems like Apple would never do that. On average, how much CPU power does Tiger (4.10) need from a G4 (1.42Ghz)?

noodle654

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 2, 2005
Never Ender
i'd just wipe it clean and then put all your stuff back on it

I have never wiped out a hard drive on a Mac. Can you guide me through it? Or perhaps Apple has a guide on how to erase everything on the drive? I select both drives in DU (the name of the HD and the name I gave it, in my case iBook HD), but it does not give me the "erase" option.

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
Try running a maintainence application. I ran one on mine shortly before I gave it up to someone else, and performance improved significantly.

keenkreations

macrumors regular
May 20, 2005
Just boot up from your Recovery disks. It will give you the option to archive and install, if you have the space to do so.

SuperCompu2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2006
MA
For Tiger the program "onyx" is pretty good. But quite honestly I think a clean install would regain all the lost speed with minimal effort.

Just backup all your valuable information and when installing select "erase and install"

noodle654

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 2, 2005
Never Ender
For Tiger the program "onyx" is pretty good. But quite honestly I think a clean install would regain all the lost speed with minimal effort.

Just backup all your valuable information and when installing select "erase and install"

I will do the install tomorrow, I am too tired to do it tonight. Thanks for all the help guys!!:)

noodle654

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 2, 2005
Never Ender
I just re-installed everything about 1 hour ago and I just finished putting all my stuff from my external to my iBook. So far it has been running much much smoother, no problems. But, I did notice that I have a much "cooler" iBook (temp. wise). Usually when running, my CPU is about 125-155*F, but right now with Safari, Mail, DB, and iTunes; my CPU is at 98*F.
Thanks for all the help guys!!

Matt

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.