Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RainCityMacFan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
NC
Well I had this PowerMac (G4) for couple years but I switched back to PC and now I have a sudden craving (obsession) for Macs...

Problem is that I started w/ my PowerMac but one of the heat sinks for the Broadcom chip broke off and I ran it. Now it won't turn on at all, I think the chip over heated.

So my question is... Is this repairable? How much do you think the repair is going to cost along w/ the diagnosing the problem at the Apple store? I'm out of warranty and I'm also running Mac OS 10.2.9?

Also if I do I get it repaired, do you think I'd be able to run Tiger on it?

Thanks

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
If you get it repaired yes it will be able to run tiger. However, do you know how fast it is? It might not worth having it repaired as it will probably be a motherboard replacement.

RainCityMacFan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
NC
If you get it repaired yes it will be able to run tiger. However, do you know how fast it is? It might not worth having it repaired as it will probably be a motherboard replacement.

:eek: How much would that cost?

I know it's a PowerMac AGP GFXCard and I think it's around 533Mhz?

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
:eek: How much would that cost?

I know it's a PowerMac AGP GFXCard and I think it's around 533Mhz?

It would have been 500mhz then. If its that speed of machine then its not worth taking to apple. By the time you get the diagnostic fees and the cost of a new board it wouldn't be worth it. So this chip that fried is on the main logic board right? Maybe you best option is buy a board on ebay and install it yourself if your comfortable with that.

RainCityMacFan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
NC
It would have been 500mhz then. If its that speed of machine then its not worth taking to apple. By the time you get the diagnostic fees and the cost of a new board it wouldn't be worth it. So this chip that fried is on the main logic board right? Maybe you best option is buy a board on ebay and install it yourself if your comfortable with that.

Well, all because of one tiny heat sink... Damn... It was the only Mac I was going to get for a while...

But if I do take it to Apple do I have to bring the mouse/keyboard?

What speed do you think is worth bring back to Apple because I'm not sure, it could be 733mhz... Meh... Damn.

Thanks

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
Well, all because of one tiny heat sink... Damn... It was the only Mac I was going to get for a while...

But if I do take it to Apple do I have to bring the mouse/keyboard?

What speed do you think is worth bring back to Apple because I'm not sure, it could be 733mhz... Meh... Damn.

Thanks

No you won't need the mouse/keyboard. It wouldn't be worth it even if its a 733mhz i just checked ebay and you can get a dual 1 ghz g4 for around $200 Which is going to be cheaper then fixing it.

RainCityMacFan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
NC
No you won't need the mouse/keyboard. It wouldn't be worth it even if its a 733mhz i just checked ebay and you can get a dual 1 ghz g4 for around $200 Which is going to be cheaper then fixing it.

Alright, thanks TrainGuy...

But I'll probably take it to the Apple store anyways just to see what's wrong w/ it for sure. If the motherboard needs to be replaced, pray to God that the replacement would be under 100$....

:(

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
Alright, thanks TrainGuy...

But I'll probably take it to the Apple store anyways just to see what's wrong w/ it for sure. If the motherboard needs to be replaced, pray to God that the replacement would be under 100$....

:(

I think they charge a service fee just for looking at it. Just to tell you whats wrong. Atleast at my local mom and pop apple store. And the replacement will be over $100 guaranteed. As there is the service fee as well.

RainCityMacFan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
NC
I think they charge a service fee just for looking at it. Just to tell you whats wrong. Atleast at my local mom and pop apple store. And the replacement will be over $100 guaranteed. As there is the service fee as well.

Do you know how much the diagnosing fee is?

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
Do you know how much the diagnosing fee is?

I don't know what it would be at the apple stores in the states. In canada at mom and pop stores its around $60 But it could be totally different in the states someone else would have to comment on that.

RainCityMacFan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
NC
Well I came back....

Gigabit ethernet chip - fried

Oh and Power Supply - trashed. (I don't know how this happened...)

Power supply replacement - 200$
Logic Board Replacement - 600$
I don't know what's priceless in this picture... But DAMN!

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
Dual 1Ghz MDDs go for a lot more than $200 on eBay. There is the Quicksilver though. EDIT: Even the QS DP 1Ghz goes for more than $200, where did you see this one!?

It had about 1 hour left so maybe the price spiked but it was a dual 1gz 512mb ram it was sitting at $201. But the auction would be over now. :eek:

Lock

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2007
Canada
Well I came back....

Gigabit ethernet chip - fried

Oh and Power Supply - trashed. (I don't know how this happened...)

Power supply replacement - 200$
Logic Board Replacement - 600$
I don't know what's priceless in this picture... But DAMN!

If you still want a mac you could try to sell what's left of the G4 on ebay and put the money towards a macmini.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.