Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
Hmmm just throwing this out there but...

My iPod earbuds just arent doing it for me anymore so im looking to get new headphones for my iPod and hopefully get some ideas on here. Preferrably on-ear headphones but i wouldnt mind earbuds.

I dont think a thread like this has been created, if so, then moderators please close the thread

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
My good headphones, Beyerdynamic DT880s

h-dt880.jpg

My iPod headphones, Koss Porta Pro

porta-pro.jpg

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
A8%20bang-olufsen%20earphones.jpg

Bang & Olufsen A8s

Some of the most comfortable and best sounding earphones I've ever had. I've had quite a few different pairs of earphones, these have lasted far longer than anything else (had them for three years) and they're brilliant.

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
I've got Sennheiser CX300s (Black), I absolutely love them. Great sound, feel great, and for mid-range buds were rather cheap (I got mine for about $50 though they run close to $70 some places) :)

Attachments

• cx300.jpg
    cx300.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 20,762
Reactions: SL4VE

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I have a couple pairs but this is what I use.

Attachments

• Razer_m100_Pro-2fSolutions_Protone_In-Ear_Earphone_BON-detail.jpg
    Razer_m100_Pro-2fSolutions_Protone_In-Ear_Earphone_BON-detail.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 955
  • v1.jpg
    v1.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 1,127

epochblue

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
I've got Sennheiser CX300s (Black), I absolutely love them. Great sound, feel great, and for mid-range buds were rather cheap (I got mine for about $50 though they run close to $70 some places) :)

So you like these? Have you ever listened to any Shure's? I've been looking for some sound-isolating phones to take on plane flights, but I'm balking at the idea of spending the amount of money on Shures....

I have a couple pairs but this is what I use.

How do you like the Vibes? Worth the $100? How do they stack up to the Shure e3Cs?

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
So you like these? Have you ever listened to any Shure's? I've been looking for some sound-isolating phones to take on plane flights, but I'm balking at the idea of spending the amount of money on Shures....

I have not looked at them, but the thing is the Sennheiser's aren't actually "sound isolating" but rather "reducing." It still helps on plains (and pretty much everywhere really) but you will still hear a fair amount of background noise so if that's what you're looking for the Shure's may be better and it may pay to drop the cash on them. As general headphones and "sound reducing" ones specifically I like them.

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
These are my iPod ones:

attachment.php

And these beauties are my DJ/Ableton ones. Volume:clarity ratio is something else with these things:
dh1200.jpg

NickD

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2007
Colorado
Ugly as hell, but amazing sound. Grado makes some of the best headphones for at-home listening.

Grado SR125 Prestige Series

sr125.jpg

Reactions: dotnet

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Ugly as hell, but amazing sound. Grado makes some of the best headphones for at-home listening.

Grado SR125 Prestige Series

Uncomfortable as hell(?), although that was the 60s that I tried, looking at getting some 80s because the grado sound is pretty darn good.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
Some interesting headphones on here. The Bose Quiet comfort 3s caught my eye but i hear bose is overpriced and not so great for the price.

I also tried the B&O ones but im not sure about the metal overhead.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Some interesting headphones on here. The Bose Quiet comfort 3s caught my eye but i hear bose is overpriced and not so great for the price.

I also tried the B&O ones but im not sure about the metal overhead.

Bose is definitely overpriced for what are really just mediocre cans. Haven't heard any B&O headphones but in all honesty the reports I have seen are that they are kind of like bose, however at least with B&O you get something sytlish.

Edit:
No, they are fantastic earphones, well worth the money.

What you pay for is the build quality, true materials (real leather pouch), sound and design. They're more 'all round' than other earphones I've used. Even cans costing £500 I've used don't feel as well made as these.

Bose do have a reputation of breaking very very easily. This hasn't been seen in the B&O line from the reports.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
No, they are fantastic earphones, well worth the money.

What you pay for is the build quality, true materials (real leather pouch), sound and design. They're more 'all round' than other earphones I've used. Even cans costing £500 I've used don't feel as well made as these.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
Bose do have a reputation of breaking very very easily. This hasn't been seen in the B&O line from the reports.

Really?, i thought that was supposedly fixed in the revised QC2 models. Actually come to think of it i have a friend whose QC2s broke twice but i guess kudos to Bose cos they kept replacing it each time, instead of blaming the consumer and refusing service.

BTW i just got back from an apple store. I tested both the QC2 and QC3 and to me the QC2 seemed to edge out in terms of sound. Felt more natural whilst the QC3 seemed not as loud and had a tad too much base. Also i had to increase my ipod volume alot more compared to the QC2

I also heard senheisers are good. I did a short test but sound IMHO wasn't that great it was definately not bad but i dunno just seemed to be lacking a bit. Also i have a small head and those things look BIG on me

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.