Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
Hey guys,

I just got rid of my wrt54gs linksys router (that worked great with my Mac) and got this Netgear WGR614 router that works good except for it will not allow ichat to open....

I keep getting this error that says "Lost connection with AIM... The connection to the host was unexpectedly lost."

I did not have this problem with my Linksys...

I decided to forward all the ports on my router for my mac. (My Mac's local address was 192.168.1.4) and i forewarded ALL the ports.

it still does not connect and gives the same error...

What gives?

Anyone have any clue?

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Hey guys,

I just got rid of my wrt54gs linksys router (that worked great with my Mac) and got this Netgear WGR614 router that works good except for it will not allow ichat to open....

I keep getting this error that says "Lost connection with AIM... The connection to the host was unexpectedly lost."

I did not have this problem with my Linksys...

I decided to forward all the ports on my router for my mac. (My Mac's local address was 192.168.1.4) and i forewarded ALL the ports.

it still does not connect and gives the same error...

What gives?

Anyone have any clue?

Try turning off the SPI firewall. I had some serious quicktime issues until I did that.

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
I just did that and it worked...

What is the funtion of SPI firewall? Is it necessary for internet security?

jaredromano

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2007
Ichat and NETGEAR WGR614v6- DOESNT WORK!

The router aloows me to browse the web with no problems... but I can not video or audio chat with anyone. I have:
1.) Turned of SPI Firewall
2.) Turned on uPNP

and still nothing.

Any Ideas what to do next?

misterbaxter

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2007
crucial fix-
worked for me, i was having the exact problem on that router:
set the ichat port to 443 in ichat preferences>accounts>server settings

MyFirstMac

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2007
crucial fix-
worked for me, i was having the exact problem on that router:
set the ichat port to 443 in ichat preferences>accounts>server settings

Thanks! I've been searching everywhere - seeing responses to reformat my Mac and reinstall everything - which to me is an insane fix.

Great job and thanks.

victorh

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2007
Worked like a champ!

This was the ideal solution, and was the only step I needed to get iChat to work between an iMac and a new MacBook. MANY THANKS!

oakenhead

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2007
Have the same iChat / Netgear problem on an older eMac I'm helping maintain.

I went to ichat preferences>accounts>server settings
to change to port 443, but server settings (Server Options) was grayed out, and not available.

Any ideas?

oakenhead

malarkeym

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2007
Have the same iChat / Netgear problem on an older eMac I'm helping maintain.

I went to ichat preferences>accounts>server settings
to change to port 443, but server settings (Server Options) was grayed out, and not available.

Any ideas?

oakenhead

Did you ever get an answer to your question, I have the same problem on my mac book?

succexy1979

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2008
Can you simplify this...?

Also, I heard someone sign off, but all my friends were said to be signed off...

When I try to IM ANYONE I get a message saying that my privacy settings won't allow me to communicate with them, but no one is blocked. I cannot get to to work for AIM or iChat, any suggestions?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.