Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boss1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
Now that an app has been successfully loaded an into iPhone, how long until we start seeing apps like these?

Pls excuse my sub par graphic editing skills :p

I made these to serve as inspiration. I think the controller setup is feasible.

iPhoneSMBALL.jpg

iPhoneSMB.jpg

iPhoneKI.jpg

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Err...I'm biggest worry is the button lay out(plus the whole illegal ROMS etc).....I'm not sure if there is enough room for button, and a large picture. The design you have seems to close for me.

Then there is the no feedback, with many gamers want to feel.

onelegtwoshoes

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2007
Nintendo games

Has no one heard that this is going to happen. Nintendo is working with apple to port some titles to the iphone via itunes. Its not clear yet how the button layout will work, but it is sure there will be a D pad. Its talked about at this link.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Nope. Touchscreen=no substitute for buttons. As anyone who has played the N64 then DS versions of Mario 64 will attest.

This is the kind of thing that would be easy to get excited about but in reality - no.

And illegal roms.

Has no one heard that this is going to happen. Nintendo is working with apple to port some titles to the iphone via itunes. Its not clear yet how the button layout will work, but it is sure there will be a D pad. Its talked about at this link.

What? Why would they? Apple would have to pay Nintendo a lot to entice them as developers, since they're already making a fortune on the Virtual Console, Nintendo Wii sales (each one makes them a profit) and the DS.
Why would they make competition for their own hardware?

Nintendo doesn't develop for other hardware for that very reason.

If you're still believing that then I don't know...

JMax1

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2006
Harlem, NY
Err...I'm biggest worry is the button lay out(plus the whole illegal ROMS etc).....I'm not sure if there is enough room for button, and a large picture. The design you have seems to close for me.

Then there is the no feedback, with many gamers want to feel.

Well, it'll either be buttons that you can't feel, or no game at all, eh?

iAmLegend

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2007
Nintendo games required only two action buttons, so with multi-touch screens, the buttons don't have to be visible at all. Now I know some of you will say "but then won't your thumbs block your view of the game?".... but try this out...upload this photo on your iPhone and feel it out as if the old nintendo controller were invisibly superimposed over the game screen, and you'll see that it's actually not that bad:

iphonemariouq1.jpg

Asar

macrumors regular
May 29, 2006
how about a bluetooth joystick? or something you plug in the doc connector?

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
Nintendo games required only two action buttons, so with multi-touch screens, the buttons don't have to be visible at all. Now I know some of you will say "but then won't your thumbs block your view of the game?".... but try this out...upload this photo on your iPhone and feel it out as if the old nintendo controller were invisibly superimposed over the game screen, and you'll see that it's actually not that bad:

iphonemariouq1.jpg

Of course you could always add this pic to your iPhone then others will think you're playing Mario on it :D

iWizzard

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2007
It would nice if apple added physical buttons on the sides. maybe under some removable lids so they can be hidden (ability to hide is a must At least for me), and work together with Nintendo and Sony to offer games via Itunes. Physical buttons is a must if you want to play Nintendo style games.

boss1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
Real buttons are extremely unlikely. Apple is going to come out with iPhone games none of which will require a joystick or real buttons and I'm sure many will enjoy playing. Classic nintendo games bought through apple are also very unlikely IMO. So an emulator is a logical app. Just as fun to play as the the games Apple will release, only that these are very fun and familiar classics.

A nintendo emulator on iPhone would be very playable imo. Its not like its a PC game that requires the use of a full keyboard + combo comands. It will take less time getting used to then getting used to the virtual keyboard on the iPhone. I also doubt you'll need to constantly look at the keys you hit. They're huge buttons. A, B on the right and a D pad on the left.

I just realized if you view this thread from your iPhone you can zoom in on the game images and scale it to your iPhone... In horizontal mode to see what game play would be like.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
Installed, tested, needs a lot of work. ;)

The controls are unusable, and most games run at about half the speed of NES.

ignus graius

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2005
I just installed the latest release, and it runs much faster. You can't use more than one button at a time, though (no holding the arrow key while pressing B).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.