Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MeekB2G

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2007
Anaheim, California
I was one of the unlucky people that purchase the 'Incase' for my iPhone & the metal trim got all scratched due to lint etc. Since I was tired of looking @ the scratches I decided to give my iPhone a brushed metal look instead of leaving it with the scratched chrome. Check out my before & after pics ad let me know what you think. I did one side first then took pics. I'm actually working on the apple symbol on that back right now.

Attachments

• CIMG1519.JPG
    CIMG1519.JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 4,200
  • CIMG1518.JPG
    CIMG1518.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 6,246

lilnyc

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Very niiice :p

I take my Belkin clear case off once a week to clean the iPhone, but it looks like mine is also scratched on the sides :(

What did you use to give it the brushed metal look?

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Looks good! I would be scared it's going to corrode or something if you rubbed a coating off.

MeekB2G

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2007
Anaheim, California
I used a scotch-brite sponge (rough side) and electric tape to cover the edges of the screen & backing. Took me about 30 min. to do the entire trim. If you plane to do it take your time & be careful. Good Luck to those who are willing to give it a try.

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
I used a scotch-brite sponge (rough side) and electric tape to cover the edges of the screen & backing. Took me about 30 min. to do the entire trim. If you plane to do it take your time & be careful. Good Luck to those who are willing to give it a try.

did you take any pics of the process? I want to do something like this

MeekB2G

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2007
Anaheim, California
did you take any pics of the process? I want to do something like this

Sorry,but i didn't. I should have takin pictures step by step but i didn't think about it at the time. I will put somthing together right now to give you a basic idea on how i did it.

lilnyc

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007

Hmm. I don't think I'm confident enough to give it a try, but your thread brought my attention to the damage that can happen with the wrong case, so I changed cases today. Thanks!

jecapaga

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2007
Southern California
very nice

wow that looks pretty nice. post some more pics please. so is the bezel actually metal of some sort all the way through or is it plastic with a chrome coating? I would be worried about scratching too deeply and taking the finish completely off.

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
I like the look of that better then the chrome actually. Nice job! Now I know what I will do when my chrome scratches up!

lilnyc

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
which case is this that causes it to scratch?

I can't speak for anyone else, and I hate to blame a case, but I've used this one :

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=374513

I carefully cleaned it before snapping it onto my iPhone, and I have taken real good care of my phone (I haven't tossed it into random cluttered bags/pockets). But after reading this thread, I removed it and sure enough, I also have scratches. I'm going with my DLO Hip Case

http://dlo.com/store/MiniStoreiPhone_Stor.tpl?command=showpage&cart=

MeekB2G

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2007
Anaheim, California
OK, I'm not very good and creating How-To's but I'm gonna try anyway. I've already finished the job but I did the process over to show you how I started and how I taped over the screen and back to do this.

Supplies: Electric Tape, Scotch Brite Sponge & (of course) an iPhone

1st: you want to use the electric tape and cover the edge of the screen as close as possible the chrome trim. Repeat for the back also..

2nd: use the Scotch Brite sponge and lightly rub one way & reverse.. Ex. Whichever side you start on first (I did one side @ a time) you want the sponge to meet the two corners. Keep going back n' forth till you get the look you want..

3rd: Because of the tape the corners we're probly covered like mine and you still have a chrome finish on them. This is were you have to be very careful and take your time. Cause you will have to do this freehand unless you have a way to cover the edge of your screen to brush the rest of the chrome. Once you've accomplished that your done.

The pics attached I have tape on the longside of the phone. You would repeat that same tape scheme on the top and bottom of the phone.

This isn't the best of tutorials cause I suck @ these types of things. Feel free to ask me any questions that you may have if you want to try this. Goodluck!

Attachments

• Finish1.JPG
    Finish1.JPG
    193.2 KB · Views: 5,207
  • Finish.JPG
    Finish.JPG
    206.2 KB · Views: 4,133
  • Backing.JPG
    Backing.JPG
    169.5 KB · Views: 3,386
  • Screen.JPG
    Screen.JPG
    199.7 KB · Views: 3,015
  • Tools.JPG
    Tools.JPG
    181.7 KB · Views: 3,166

MeekB2G

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2007
Anaheim, California
Your instructions are very good. And the finish looks a LOT more costly and posh than the chrome.

Wonder if it needs a clear coat, though? Any experts on the topic?

Clear coats would be pretty nice. I will have to look into that. Thanks for the idea 'kdarling'

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
You have nice hands. No I'm kidding...well I am not but anyway...
would be nice a video on youtube..
LMFAO I'm sorry but this just really made me laugh! Hey while you're at it, can you go ahead and give me a step by step process of the purchase of the tape and the scrubber? Did you use the whole scrubber or just a corner? What corner specifically gave you the best results?

I think it looks great and it is a nice alternative to the f'ed up job the damn case seems to do.

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
Can we see any pics of the phone dead on to see what it looks like from the front? I'm very tempted to do this but I'm posiitive I'll screw it up... also, using the electrical tape on the screen and back of the phone did not leave any sticky residue? I'm just so scared to damage the screen but my chrome also has a lot of scratches on it and personally I think the chrome was an awful design decision...

OK, I'm not very good and creating How-To's but I'm gonna try anyway. I've already finished the job but I did the process over to show you how I started and how I taped over the screen and back to do this.

Supplies: Electric Tape, Scotch Brite Sponge & (of course) an iPhone

1st: you want to use the electric tape and cover the edge of the screen as close as possible the chrome trim. Repeat for the back also..

2nd: use the Scotch Brite sponge and lightly rub one way & reverse.. Ex. Whichever side you start on first (I did one side @ a time) you want the sponge to meet the two corners. Keep going back n' forth till you get the look you want..

3rd: Because of the tape the corners we're probly covered like mine and you still have a chrome finish on them. This is were you have to be very careful and take your time. Cause you will have to do this freehand unless you have a way to cover the edge of your screen to brush the rest of the chrome. Once you've accomplished that your done.

The pics attached I have tape on the longside of the phone. You would repeat that same tape scheme on the top and bottom of the phone.

This isn't the best of tutorials cause I suck @ these types of things. Feel free to ask me any questions that you may have if you want to try this. Goodluck!

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
Looks very good...however, I would never do that to my iPhone. I like to keep everything original, especially with apple products and their remarkable resale value.

MeekB2G

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2007
Anaheim, California
Can we see any pics of the phone dead on to see what it looks like from the front? I'm very tempted to do this but I'm posiitive I'll screw it up... also, using the electrical tape on the screen and back of the phone did not leave any sticky residue? I'm just so scared to damage the screen but my chrome also has a lot of scratches on it and personally I think the chrome was an awful design decision...

Here are pictures of the front, back, top and bottom close-up so you can get a better look. I also have a screen protector on their that is actually coming off. (Thats what the bubble is on the top left of the screen) The electric tape didn't leave any residue what so ever, but it did take off my screen protector when I was taking it off. No worries though i'll just go buy another one. I'm sure you'll be OK, just take your time and don't rush yourself.

Attachments

• Front.JPG
    Front.JPG
    227.7 KB · Views: 1,996
  • Back.JPG
    Back.JPG
    169 KB · Views: 1,741
  • Top.JPG
    Top.JPG
    212.6 KB · Views: 2,177
  • Bottom.JPG
    Bottom.JPG
    209.7 KB · Views: 2,588

lilnyc

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Looks very good...however, I would never do that to my iPhone. I like to keep everything original, especially with apple products and their remarkable resale value.

I'd think it has more re-sale value with his finish than with scratches though, no?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.