Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Brett wrote in with this PRNewswire:
CUPERTINO, Calif., Sep 17, 2001 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- Apple(R) (Nasdaq: AAPL) today announced the cancelation of Apple Expo 2001, which was scheduled to take place at the Paris Expo in Porte de Versailles, September 26-30, 2001.

"We're canceling Apple Expo in the wake of last week's devastating and tragic events," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "We're sorry to disappoint our users and developers, but their safety is our primary concern."

More information about Apple Expo 2001 can be f

Doraemon

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2001
Europe (EU)
I find the given explanation rather stupid. Why should Apple fear an attack on Apple Expo? I mean, Jobs argued that he was concerned about safety of their developers.

Furthermore, I believe that by cancelling Apple Expo Apple is sending out a wrong signal. The terrorists have then not only killed thousands of people, but also destroyed the way of life of the western world! I think Apple and everybody should go on with their lives like they used to be before the attacks. That way the terrorists will never win!

Just my 2¢.

MattB

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2001
I understand that Jobs is worried about his people, but we have to go on with our lives and get back to normal to show whoever did this that we will not be bullyed and are not afraid. Furthermore, the attacks were on American soil and for right now, there are no signs of attack on American veneus or interests outside the US. But I would imagine that it would be hard to get Apple personnel and equipment to Paris because of the higher security and fewer flights.

[Edited by MattB on 09-17-2001 at 11:42 AM]

G

Guest123

There is a reason..

If you haven't noticed, the grammys have been cancelled, baseball games have been cancelled, its to show RESPECT to the people that lost thier lives, and the people that are still working to clear out the rubble. its not stating that apple is scared of attacks, though that may be what you guys think, i see it as a sign of respect.

Doraemon

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2001
Europe (EU)
I disagree!

I believe if the main reason would have been paying respect to the dead then Apple would have openly said it that way. What would it be good for not telling the true nature of cancelling AppleExpo?
Furthermore, Apple is obviously affraid that the AppleExpo cites might be insecure. Read the articles at MacObserver and MacCentral. I think these guys know what they write about!

humanbeing#7

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2001
To Doraemon + others who think that...

"Apple and everybody should go on with their lives like they used to be before the attacks. That way the terrorists will never win!"
Pehaps by taking this time to show respect, concern and caution, Americans and companies can show the world that this is NOT their way of life. So many countries do what you said and have merely grown callous to such atrocities. Maybe this can show that America values it's citizens lives, and it's multi-national corporations do have faces, personalities and some compassion. I think that may said of Steve and Apple.

Godspeed, America!

nerveosu

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2001
I hope they release all the new stuff in the same time frame.

I hope they still keep the same time frame to release all the cool new stuff. Maybe Dual G4 servers, OS 10.1, Power book revision....?

I hope.

-Bill

P

password is pong

Just give me 10.1!

I don't care about anything else, that's all I want!

pvk

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2001
That is quite stupid

What could be more dangerous for Apple customer and developper would be to stay in US. Apple personnel, developper and clients would be in a safer place in Europe.
Why would there be any attack in France ? It is US and its international politic that was attacked. Europe is of course concerned and will work hand in hand with United States, to find and punish reponsibles for the NY events, but that does not mean that everything all around the world should stop !
Apple Expo France is an European manifestation for european customers. These people are already in Europe. If there should be any danger to be in Europe in september, then the fact to be inside the Apple event center or outside would not change anything (on the contrary, that part of Paris has no particular raison to be a terrosrist target !).
By doing what he did, Steve Jobs make us feel like if everybody should think the same. Please keep letting people think different. And try to do so. Not everybody want war. There are still people thinking that Peace is more important than revenge. Don't let Bush play with his toys : He is far more powerfull and so far more dangerous than any terrorist. He is able to destroy all the planet. No terrorist can do that.

GPTurismo

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2001
Montgomery, AL USA
First, the french government has not only warned apple, and many other american companies to be very careful there, but asked them not to come.

So get over it. Sheesh. **** happens, and Jobs decided for safety and respect to cancel the show. Your bickering just makes things worse. So grow up.

Doraemon

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2001
Europe (EU)
I agree pvk!
France is one of the most unlikely targets in Europe, because France has always been very critical towards Israel. Considering the NY attacks really were performed by Islamic fundamentalists why would they attack their only sympathizer in the western world?

macosaurusrex

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2001
NC
Doraemon
Very perceptive--I thought the news media had successfully concealed that the WTC and pentagon attacks were directed at the monetary and military support structures propping up that bandit state known as Israel.

Soon Americans will learn that it is dangerous to be in close proximity with those whose loyalities lie with the world's foremost terrorist nation-ISRAEL.

Oh, give me a home, where the buffalo roam!

Glad to see at least some Mac users using their own brains instead of accepting the blatantly deceptive portayals by the talking heads and the daily rags.

Let's see, the last I heard the terrorists included several American citizens -from Florida, not France. I'll bet at least one of them was a WINTEL user. Probably the one that ---CRASHED. whoops--they all crashed.

Somebody lynch me.

humanbeing#7

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2001
Re: That is quite stupid

pvk: Congratulations on your mastery of the English language, but your statements are misguided, just the same. Political and religious posturing, propaganda and alignment are rampant on all sides, which will escalate this escalate this already intense build-up. But why have you chosen this "mass media" arena (sarcasm), macrumors.com, to voice this sentiment? Would you have as much to say if Steve had gone ahead with this Apple Expo in Paris? Do you really think that a flashy release of OS 10.1, a new iMac color or some other new gadget would actually quell this precarious situation? The all-new, all-powerful G5--no, no it's to the "G8", since that looks like who's siding with the US, thus far. Sadly, there is no "WorldPeace2001" installer disk to fall back on here.

Godspeed, America!

moi37

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2001
Paris
Anti-semitic and brain dead

Macosaurex :Your cowardice is only matched by your ignorance or perhaps your anti-semitism. Cowardly, because you hide behind the anonymity afforded to you by such a forum ( be brave and publish your real name!). Ignorance, because to suggest that Israel - the only democratic country in the Middle east - is a terrorist state is either because you ignore the real nature of countries like Syria, Libya, Iran or Iraq - to mention a few - or a clear desire to spew out some virulent racist garbage regardless of the truth. Perhaps after all you should just be ignored, or better still be sent to Saudia Arabia where in your case the punishment of ripping out your tongue would be just punishment indeed.

pvk

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2001
answers...

1) macosaurusrex
I've never mentionned Israel. Don't make me say something I haven't said. US don't need Israel to behave like an arrogant leader of the world... and be astonished that not everybody likes it.

2) Doraemon
It looks like if somebody does not agree with some points of US international politics, then that should mean that he is "with" the bad guys... Where is the freedom of speech ? Isn't a bit like in a dicature ?
You now, there are "good guys" and "bad guys" only in Hollywood movies...In Real life nobody is really bad or good. That is why War and Death penalty are so stupid. These are two things that Bush love. Perhaps he is the one who likes violence. Perhaps he is the one who will take advantage of the attack. And he keeps sayng stupid things
The last one from Bush : "Bring it to me, Dead or alive"...
Is that behavior the one of a democratic leader ? No ! These are words of a dictator who thinks he has the right to kill whoever he wants and to invade any country who do not obey his orders. Looks like he wants to play CowBoy and emperor of the world at the same time...

3) humanbeing
I've indeed posted messages in some other places (perhaps more adequat), and before Steve Jobs move. But I've reacted in this place because for me, use of Mac is not only a convenient choice. It is too the choice of people who don't want the dicature of one operating system, and, as I've mentionned, whose motto is "think different" ! And I was expecting more critical mind in front of Bush extremist and dangerous behavior.

4) GPTurismo
I am away from France at the moment. Could you tell me where you get that information ?

macosaurusrex

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2001
NC
Semitically Incorrect with Macosaurus Rex

Macrumors never disappoints one with its off topic educational enlightenment.
Points learned from the resident Middle East expert moi37:
1) Anti-Israeli = Anti-Semite. (I had thought it was someone against all Semitic ethnicities, including Arabs and many other anthropologic Caucasoids.)
2) Israel, a democracy, can't possibly be a terrorist state. (Unless, of course, 51% of the people are terrorists. Now that couldn’t be possible, could it?)
3) The real nature of "terrorist" Islamic nations is inferior to the apartheid of Israel. (I had always it was ignoble of those nations to attack civilians after being ignored at the negotiation table, pounded by a vastly superior military, with Uncle Sam playing back-up, all to insure the cheap flow of oil. AND I had just forgotten what a tolerant, multi-cultural paradise Israel is—if your Jewish, of course. It's been 7 years since I was in Tel-Aviv; maybe it’s changed.)
4) I deserve violent punishment for being ignorant about the way things really are. (Now I get it! If those pesky Palestinians would just quit throwing rocks, then our "made in the USA" rockets wouldn't find a way into their living rooms, killing their babies, prompting Daddy to strap on some dyn-o-mite on and become the "life" of the party at the Bar Mitzvah.)

Sounds like not all Mac users are peace-loving hippies. WOW-Ripping my tongue out just because I wasn’t properly informed and speaking in ignorance. Sounds like something a Mossad agent would delight in. I’m sure they have my name, address and phone number. Perhaps those offended by my anonymity should contact them or the ADL. Hopefully my Jewish boss at the State Department would fire me before the next salvo in the "War on Terrorism®"

Forget Afghanistan. Bush should nuke Florida seeing how it harbors terrorists.

I can feel your love, can you feel mine?

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
good points made on both sides

it is very important to be safe this soon after the attacks but it is also very important to get things back to normal like the president encouraged us to to in his speech tonight...but i think major events being cancelled for now is still the best thing to do until we all see what events unfold in the next few days such as the peaceful resolution many seek or a global conflict which could last years

may peace be near for all

S

sobelizzard

good thing steve cancelled....

Apparently an attack on the American Embassy in Paris was thwarted this morning.... this isn't over folks. Wondering whether or not a new iMac is coming out in the next few months has become a lot less exciting than it was before the 11th. Arguing about racial/political views was never exciting...

think peace

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.