Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CDailey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2006
Florida
And can you stop it from verifying? 33 minutes IMO is just too long to wait for a full (4gb) dvd to be finished burning.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I've never done it but I've heard of a few people stopping it during verification and their discs have been fine. In theory, I don't see how it could hurt. :)

CDailey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2006
Florida
Is there a way to bypass the verification with native OSX burning, or would I have to use a 3rd party app like Toast (or similar)?

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
also it depends on the quality of the disk... like a POC compared to a TDK disk..i spose its what u wanna do tho, if u cant wait then dont do it.. if u can then by all means do it, itl be more safe for your data

CDAILEY only if you use disk utility..

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Exactly. There's no real benefit finding this out from your computer versus finding it out the first time you use it other than the fact you may be relying on the disc. If it's taking a long time to verify but you are relying on the disc working first time, then 'verify' it yourself by cancelling the process and reinstalling the disc into your Mac to check it manually. It most likely will be immediately ejected if it failed during the burn process. :)

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Exactly. There's no real benefit finding this out from your computer versus finding it out the first time you use it other than the fact you may be relying on the disc. If it's taking a long time to verify but you are relying on the disc working first time, then 'verify' it yourself by cancelling the process and reinstalling the disc into your Mac to check it manually. It most likely will be immediately ejected if it failed during the burn process. :)
Then again I use a 20x external to burn my discs...

I've had individual file corruption on "successful" discs on other operating systems.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I find it to be useful especially after burning backups to photos and finding out all the dvds are bad.

After G

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2003
California
I only do it when I care about the data, otherwise no.

If it turned out to be a coaster anyway, wouldn't you want to reburn ASAP? Usually I know it's a coaster before it even reaches verification. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.