Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
Hello, I sold my dual 1.42 and I am now deciding between the 1.8 or dual 2.0. How much faster should the single 1.8 be compared to my old 1.42 G4? I am sure most of this would be speculation, but let it fly.:D

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2001
pure speculation

nothing has been tested yet but i suspect once the hype is down and non apple benchmarks are done you will find that the dual 1.4 will be superior at some things that are not super high bandwith related and just as fast at the mudane tasks we use-surfing email mp3 incoding burning cds dvds copying files window scrolling resizing etc.
remember only the dual 2ghz beat the p4 and in quake it was not twice as fast meaning the 3.06p4(and now its 3.2 is faster at most things then a single g5 that can be said against the dyal 1.42
i am awaiting a true test by http://www.barefeats.com using the same programs on both. i expect alot of people to be suprised, remember a lot of apps are not optimised like those at wwd and may think the g5 is just a faster mhz g4 and not use the extra bandwidth until they are recompiled to 64bit.
like many apps dont take advantage of duals now.
i also want to see the amd opteron 64 bit it has much larger caches then the g5 but only a 800mhz buss. must non apple people think it is the fastest single dual and yes u can get it in quad desktop chip.
apple did not even mention amd even though hypertransport and other amd technology is in thier g5 setup.
anyway i am super interested in seeing all the g5 go up against the g4 esp with the g4 price cuts. i think the g4 will hold its own that is until 64bit apps bring the g5 into its own.
jus speculation hope i am wrong

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
Re: pure speculation

Originally posted by daveg5
nothing has been tested yet but i suspect once the hype is down and non apple benchmarks are done you will find that the dual 1.4 will be superior at some things that are not super high bandwith related and just as fast at the mudane tasks we use-surfing email mp3 incoding burning cds dvds copying files window scrolling resizing etc.
remember only the dual 2ghz beat the p4 and in quake it was not twice as fast meaning the 3.06p4(and now its 3.2 is faster at most things then a single g5 that can be said against the dyal 1.42
i am awaiting a true test by http://www.barefeats.com using the same programs on both. i expect alot of people to be suprised, remember a lot of apps are not optimised like those at wwd and may think the g5 is just a faster mhz g4 and not use the extra bandwidth until they are recompiled to 64bit.
like many apps dont take advantage of duals now.
i also want to see the amd opteron 64 bit it has much larger caches then the g5 but only a 800mhz buss. must non apple people think it is the fastest single dual and yes u can get it in quad desktop chip.
apple did not even mention amd even though hypertransport and other amd technology is in thier g5 setup.
anyway i am super interested in seeing all the g5 go up against the g4 esp with the g4 price cuts. i think the g4 will hold its own that is until 64bit apps bring the g5 into its own.
jus speculation hope i am wrong

I will be using it mostly for imovie, fcp express, idvd, etc... Do you think the 1.8 will render transitions and effects any faster? (noticeable) I just do not want to spend 2999 on the dual if the 2399 is going to be a noticeable improvement. On the same note, I would rather spend 2999 on the dual if the 2399 would be a dissapointment.

Wyrm

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2003
Toekeeyoe, Japan
Re: Sold Dual 1.42
Wow, that was pretty fast. They were only just released a few month ago.

Since you no longer have a 1.42Ghz Mac, which means it has a work potential of 0, then anything would be faster. ;)

In my opinion, once you go dualie, it's hard going back... and if you believe Apple reality distorting marketing, then the dual is where the G5 really shines.

<peer pressure>
GO DUAL 2GHZ!
</peer pressure>
-Wyrm

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
while I agree with daveg5 that there may not be huge performance increases immediately, more and more things will start to be optimized for the G5 chip and for 64 bit computing. So I think within a reasonable amount of time, even the 1.6 G5 will kick the crap out of the G4s on most things.

And IMO, even right now the 1.8 SP will be a significant improvement over the dual 1.42 in most situations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.