Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. B

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2005
Go to macupdate.com and download Onyx. It can do both of those things for you and is a very reliable bit of software.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I concur. Period use keeps Teh Snappy™ in your Mac going.

Gandhi

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007
TX
I tried to use Onyx, but it requires admin priviledges just to start up, and I normally do not run as admin. The alternative I found does the same job and is slicker, IMO.

http://www.santasw.com/

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Personally don't care for Onyx.

You can go the cheap route:
- Go to Safari menu
- Select Empty Cache
- Click on the Empty button.
- Go to Safari menu
- Select Preferences
- Select the Security tab
- Press on the Show Cookies button.
- Decide to remove all or remove certain cookies.

Or the cheap and simple route:
- Go to Safari menu
- Select Reset Safari (Note, this deletes everything: Cache, Cookies, History, etc.)

Jan 30, 2006
What I like about Onyx is the infinite things you can make with it. But if you don't need them, then the program you downloaded seems perfect for your needs.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Personally don't care for Onyx.

You can go the cheap route:
- Go to Safari menu
- Select Empty Cache
- Click on the Empty button.
- Go to Safari menu
- Select Preferences
- Select the Security tab
- Press on the Show Cookies button.
- Decide to remove all or remove certain cookies.

Or the cheap and simple route:
- Go to Safari menu
- Select Reset Safari (Note, this deletes everything: Cache, Cookies, History, etc.)

Thanks for that:) It really is very simple and easier than downloading a program.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I too tried Onyx and just couldn't find myself using every feature. It was more about lack of understanding than anything for me. I tried it right when I got my mac and then just did the manual way of doing things as posted above.

theman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2007
I know with windows there are all sorts of "tweaking" "cleaning" and "optimizing" utilities. And, usually, all you end up doing is ***** up your computer because you deleted some essential OS files. (I have had a lot of experience with this, lol). Can this happen with a Mac using Onyx or something similar if you get a little bit too trigger happy and start deleting things left and right (things you have no idea what they are)?

iJawn108

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2006
OnyX is great and is just a front end to features already build into OS X one of the better tools is resetting the spotlight index, which unless you are comfortable with terminal(it's not that hard honest) makes life easier.

scokim

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2005
OnyX is great and is just a front end to features already build into OS X one of the better tools is resetting the spotlight index, which unless you are comfortable with terminal(it's not that hard honest) makes life easier.

can you please elaborate on how to do this ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.