Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cfour

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
As the name suggests I can't get my eMac to boot. It gets to the grey Apple screen and then shows:
'Kernel version:
Darwin Kernel Version 8.10.0 Wed May 23 16:50:59 PDT 2007; oot:xnu-792.21.3~1/RELEASE_PPC
panic: We are hanging here...'

Very odd.
I can't get it to open the CD tray as I wouldv'e booted off of the install discs so hence me posting here.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Cfour

Cfour

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
No...
Im afraid I lost patience and just did a Archive and Intsall

But couold you please explain if it's to happen again?

Thanks

Cfour

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Restart, hold down the cmd-s keys, until you see a black screen with white text. When the text stops scrolling, at the command line type:

fsck -f [including the space, then return]

If disk repairs are reported, run fsck again until none are reported, then at the command line, type:

reboot [return]

This runs the same disk check and repair you can run with Disk Utility booted up on the install discs, but without the need for the discs. If errors are reported which fsck can't repair, then you need a commercial disk diagnostic utility, such as Disk Warrior or TechTool.

Cfour

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Oh right, thanks.
Yeah when I booted off of the CD's I ran the disk util and said all was well and so I restarted normally and had the same error.
Oh well, its up and running now, just getting my applications back off of the Archive.

Cfour

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.