Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

janey

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
The title says it all.

I am not interested in getting iPhoto to open when the iPhone is connected, and I can sync iPhoto albums just fine through iTunes for my iPhone, but I don't see a way to sync photos I took on the iPhone with iPhoto.

I used to be able to do this, but now it doesn't even show up as a source anymore.

I've searched around for solutions, and the closest I found was https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=3926960 but that's not my problem, and another thread with Image Capture, but the iPhone isn't in the device list (quite possibly why it might not be working), although it's syncing with iTunes just fine.

You'd expect it to be somewhere around here, but no:
picture1zu4.png

edit: People, I don't have this problem anymore, but it's not really solved. Either way, please don't contact me if you do have this problem, because I can't help you! Keep reading, and you'll read other solutions to the issue that you should try. :)

kinman

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2007
iPhone iPhoto problem

I am having the same problem and have searched and searched for answers -

I have 1700 photos on the iPhone! (took it on vacation the first week I had it!) but can't get iPhoto to recognize it as a camera.
Image Capture doesn't recognize it either.

It did in fact work the first time I plugged it in, and imported the first 5 photos I had taken as a test, but they imported very strangely (ie with odd horizontal lines of overexposure, as if the "film" was bad).

and then I upgraded my iPhoto ( to the latest version) because I thought that could be the problem and then it has never recognized it again.

Help!

pyn

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2005
Sometimes it doesn't show for me in Aperture. I just unplug/dock it and replug/dock it and then it shows again.

janey

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Somehow Image Capture and iPhoto are recognizing it again, don't know if that's because my iPhone's been reset a few times since the last time I tried, or what. iPhoto is being weird but the iPhone finally shows up in the source list, but only after I went to see if System Profiler had anything to say about my iPhone.

Odd stuff. At least I got my few hundred photos off...I had resigned myself to emailing all the photos to my flickr, but I lost my patience after the first few dozen pics and the flakiness with the yahoo email never working on edge half the time.

geeman99

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2007
Problems importing photos from iphone

I have the same problem!!!
Iphone does not show up on iphoto (It did it only the first time i tried, never again).
But if I switch libraries, I can get it to show... Only problem is now I get 'There are no items to import' when I have over 200 images on there (all shot with the iphone)....

Help!!!

I have 3 ideas:
1: try another mac....
2: reset iphone
3: http://www.engadget.com/2007/07/11/ecamm-networks-iphonedrive-how-to-and-review/

Will keep u posted...

Attachments

• Picture 14.png
    Picture 14.png
    83.7 KB · Views: 242

geeman99

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2007
update....

Trying a new mac.... No go! Same problem.
Reset iphone: No work... Now iphone does not show up in iphoto at all!!!

janey

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Trying a new mac.... No go! Same problem.
Reset iphone: No work... Now iphone does not show up in iphoto at all!!!

Have you tried Image Capture? See if the iPhone shows up there as a device or not. If it works, it should prompt you to grab all the images from your iPhone.

kinman

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2007
still the same trouble with iPhoto and iPhone

I am having the same problem as geeman99.
Image Capture does not recognize the phone:
it says "no image capture device"
but in my system profiler, it recognizes that an iPhone is attached.

I was nervous about suggestion 3 - geeman99, did you try it?

geeman99

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2007

Option #3 at closer look is not really an option at this point....
It does not allow u access to the iphones inner files...
Just use it as a drive.... Which is nice, but is not a solution for us....
Will try image capture...
Anyone with this problem try light room??

stevefil

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2007
Got It!!!

I had the same problem. I deleted the following from my ~/library/preferences:

com.apple.ImageCaptureService.plist

com.apple.ImageCaptureApp.plist

After I connected my iPhone again, the settings were back to normal -- iPhoto opened and image capture again recognized the phone!

HOORAY!

kinman

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2007
still no iphoto- iphone connection

thanks, stevefil, I tried what you suggested, although the only files I saw when I went to ~library/preferences were
com.apple.imageCaptureWebServer.plist
and
com.apple.imageCaptureApp.plist

I deleted them both, restarted, and then replugged in the phone and still NOTHING

:confused:

Attachments

• image_capture copy.jpg
    image_capture copy.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 171

pyn

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2005
ok mine hasn't been working for the past 4 days [i'm getting pissed off]

i tried deleting the imagecapture and aperture plists but nothing's working!!!!!

pyn

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2005
OK I think I've identified the problem.

I had passcode lock enabled on my iPhone... Once I disabled it, Aperture, Image Capture, and iTunes immediately recognized my iPhone!!!

geeman99

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2007
Fix!!

Not sure why, but when I plugged my phone into another mac, I was able to see it in iphoto, and actually get the images off it!!
(try several macs if u got access to them... until u get it...)
Then transfer the photos manually to ur iphoto library.
(and/or try some of the above suggestions, maybe one will work 4 u!)
Once u have done that...
Restore ur iphone!!!, (just like u would an ipod)
The button is located on the 'Summary' tab in itunes. (when the phone is connected)
This move restores ur phone to the factory condition!!

***Here's where I got impressed!!! Itunes actually backs up ur phone fully!!!
Down to ur text message conversations...
It will look and have all ur preferences on it just like b4 u restored the thing!!!
Minus the passwords (for security purposes) and of course the photos!!! (since it thought there were no photos there to begin with)...

The problem will not happen again after that!!!!

Good luck!!

janey

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Wow...there's a lot of different responses here! Guess I wasn't expecting such a huge variety of different ways to possibly fix this issue.

@geeman99, I am sure a restore would have fixed it (and what you say might suggest the plists are a better thing to delete than to restore the iPhone...), but the idea is to keep all the images intact, and to have the latest iPhone backup (whenever you last synced). If you have another Mac, great, but not everyone does nor do they want to delete all these photos :)

macintel4me

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
Anyone really get figure this out?

I guess I could email each of the 50 photos I have individually and then restore (and then hope).

Any better ideas?

UPDATE: I did a full restore and it still doesn't work!! grrrr

kinman

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2007
still not working!

has anyone figured this out I've tried everything except the restore (because I have 1700 photos and could never email them all to myself)

Help!

Rattlehead

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2007
Same exact problem

I have the same problem. Took 100 or so pics, set the iPhone in it's cradle, iPhoto launched and did it's thing. The world was good.

Then, took about 200 more pics, set it in it's cradle and ...nothing.

Went through all the suggestions, Image Capture prefs, iPhoto prefs, pLists. Same result as everyone else here.

Resetting, for me, also is not an option, as I don't want to lose the 200 pics.

Synching, however, works just fine.

Rattlehead

romannumeral5

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2007
Unchecking auto sync when connected in iTunes worked for me!

See this post https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=3926960, one person had this in their suggestion. I tried it and worked like a charm.

The title says it all.

I am not interested in getting iPhoto to open when the iPhone is connected, and I can sync iPhoto albums just fine through iTunes for my iPhone, but I don't see a way to sync photos I took on the iPhone with iPhoto.

I used to be able to do this, but now it doesn't even show up as a source anymore.

I've searched around for solutions, and the closest I found was https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=3926960 but that's not my problem, and another thread with Image Capture, but the iPhone isn't in the device list (quite possibly why it might not be working), although it's syncing with iTunes just fine.

You'd expect it to be somewhere around here, but no:
picture1zu4.png

vaughnet

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2007
A combo worked for me

Thanks to everyone for their help. This is what finally worked for me:

1. Uncheck "Automatically sync when this iPhone is connected"
2. Apply the change
3. Undock your iPhone
4. Quit iTunes and iPhoto
5. Erase com.apple.iPhoto.plist pref file from ~/Library/Preferences/
6. Erase com.apple.ImageCaptureApp.plist pref file from ~/Library/Preferences/
7. Wave a rubber chicken above your head three times while hopping on your left foot. :p
8. Dock your iPhone...with any luck iPhoto should start automatically
9. I was able to then re-check the "Automatically sync when this iPhone is connected" option in iTunes and it still worked just fine.

Good Luck!

Rattlehead

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2007
Got something different to try. It now works for me.

As I posted before, I tried deleting prefs, turning on/off the iPhone in the cradle, etc. Nothing worked. I did some more research and stumbled upon something in an Apple forum that worked for me.

Like others here, iPhoto worked the first time I used it. The problem is that "Delete items from camera after importing" was unchecked by default. I also wanted to leave it unchecked as I wanted to keep my vacation photos on the iPhone to show to others. This is the problem. The pictures need to be removed. If you want them to stay on the iPhone, simply sync them back up with iTunes after importing and deleting.

So, I manually deleted the 166 pictures that I had imported before, and boom, just like that, it all worked again.

Others on the Apple forum mentioned that once their camera rolls got too large, it would no longer launch iPhoto. The general consensus was that it was around 300-325 photos before iPhoto refused to work.

So, the key to happiness, at least for me, is to keep the "Camera Roll" small and upload and delete through iPhoto often.

This may or may not have been by design, but I think it's important to understand the difference between the "Camera Roll" and the "Photo Library" on the iPhone. With other digital cameras, at least that I've had, there wasn't a difference. If you left pictures on the card it didn't matter. It only mattered when you ran out of memory. With the iPhone, it's not good to keep photos in the roll. Upload and delete them, then sync them back into the library.

Good luck to the rest of you!

Rattlehead

macintel4me

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
I've tried everything in this list. I've updated my iPhone to v1.0.2. Still nothing seems to work.

I did work at the Apple Store and other cameras import fine so there is something about my iPhone on my computer that is a problem.

Can someone give other suggestions??

macintel4me

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
I've decided to bite the bullet because this severe annoyance. I'm going to reformat my hard drive and reinstall OS X and everything else. Grrr.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.