Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SarahMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Michigan
I just had a new hard drive installed in my iBook G4. I have all my info on an external drive. If I start up with a start up disc--supposedly the external is bootable, but someone else set it up and I don't know the user name and password. Anyway, if I start it up with a Mac OS X DVD, I can get to the disc utility. On that there is an icon called New Image. The tech guy at the Mac Exchange told me to make a new image rather than pull each file over individually. But, I don't know enough to feel confident about doing this. Does anyone know how this works? And does it matter that my old HD was a 60 G and this is an 80 G?

Long story but I don't want to go back to the tech guy unless I utterly have to--let's just say he'll charge top dollar.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Startup the iBook by the startup DVD and you'll be able to reset the password to the computer. Using an Disk Image will allow that all files transfer with the proper permissions and other options. This is useful for transferring Applications, but for just documents it makes no difference really.

A bigger harddrive means you can get more stuff on it. Therefore a 60gig < 80gig. Not very complicated stuff on that one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.