Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nauqkcin

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2007
California
Ugly as hell, but amazing sound. Grado makes some of the best headphones for at-home listening.

Grado SR125 Prestige Series

Hey Nick, I'm thinking about getting the SR 125s for college. From your experience with them, would you say that you could block out some noise from the outside world without cranking the volume up too much? I understand that the cans do have sound leakage because they are open air, but how much? Sorry for so many questions. :D

devman

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
AU
Etymotic ER-4p for iPod and laptop use.

Attachments

• hp-er4-100c.jpg
    hp-er4-100c.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 7,050

NickD

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2007
Colorado
nauqkcin said:
Hey Nick, I'm thinking about getting the SR 125s for college. From your experience with them, would you say that you could block out some noise from the outside world without cranking the volume up too much? I understand that the cans do have sound leakage because they are open air, but how much? Sorry for so many questions.

They're OK, but definitely what you'd call noise isolating headphones. They tend to let in a good amount of ambient noise, so if you're looking for something to block out voices, or the TV, look at something else.

NickD

mike dunx

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2006
Central FL
i've got a pair of the triports. they're not the best, i know. but they're a lot better than the ipod earphones I had been using for a few years before I switched. i got about 60% off on the price too.

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Don't step into the kawoosh...
I have the Shure se310's. They sound great and i really like them for listening to Trans Siberian Orchestra type music.

I have some $30 sony's and then some 50ish dollar Shure e2c and the se310's are the best by far.

If you are looking for a nice set at around 100 i would look at the westone UM1's. Also, had over to headfi.org.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
apple_headphones.jpg

230211148.jpg

and

8443.jpg

Because I have no taste in headphones :(

I've told myself I'll buy some new proper equipment someday. Someday...

devman

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
AU
i'm jealous of your er-4p headphones. i've got a pair of the er-6. love them to death. best set of headphones/earbuds i've ever used.

Yeah, I had a pair of the 6 also. It's a step up in $ to the 4p but it's worth every penny.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I know the Bose are overpriced for what they are, but they are the most comfortable headphones that I have ever tried. I just found someone on craigslist with a brand new pair of the OE on-ear phones in the sealed box that will sell them to me for $126 (same as the around-the-ear phones are selling for right now). The OE phones right now sell for $162. I think I will pick them up tomorrow.

Squonk

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2005
I'm a Koss Porta Pro fan. Lifetime warranty! Seriously. I'm on my third set in 20 years. Rip out the cord - send them back for new ones, $7 processing & shipping fee. And the sound is most excellent. I have a pair of the Sporta-Pro's for running. I'm not a fan of buds and I likey my bass! :)

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I'm a Koss Porta Pro fan. Lifetime warranty! Seriously. I'm on my third set in 20 years. Rip out the cord - send them back for new ones, $7 processing & shipping fee. And the sound is most excellent. I have a pair of the Sporta-Pro's for running. I'm not a fan of buds and I likey my bass! :)
I love the Porta Pro too ( i've had a pair for quite a while), but was looking for something to that would have some sound isolation. I can't hear the Porta Pro in the noisy lab at work, but otherwise they are great.

Squonk

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2005
I love the Porta Pro too ( i've had a pair for quite a while), but was looking for something to that would have some sound isolation. I can't hear the Porta Pro in the noisy lab at work, but otherwise they are great.

Good point!

Funny story, I once had a woman ask me to turn down my music on an airplane since it was too loud for her!?!?? She was two seats away. Sound isolation in reverse...:)

Bow Rekk

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2007
UK
I have some of these bad boys and they are pretty good to my ears...
Roland RH-200

ROLAND_RH200.jpg

My mate has just got some of these and thinks they are the bollocks though...
Beyer DT990

01.jpg

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
Good point!

Funny story, I once had a woman ask me to turn down my music on an airplane since it was too loud for her!?!?? She was two seats away. Sound isolation in reverse...:)
Yep. That is exactly what happens when you try to turn up open headphones to very loud levels to overcome external noise - everybody else hears what you hear!

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
My mate has just got some of these and thinks they are the bollocks though...
Beyer DT990

I certainly hope he likes them for that price (about $230)! Probably great phones, but a little too much for me.

Good to see some more Beyers (they are definately worth it), i love my 880a listen to them for about 2 horus a night when at uni. Saving up for some Stax Omega II's

sr007.jpg

icemat siberias.JPG

icemat siberias

Please use TIMG for large images, see how well it scales them down, i've added the TIMG tags to the quote of your post.

Bow Rekk

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2007
UK
I certainly hope he likes them for that price (about $230)! Probably great phones, but a little too much for me.

Hah, yeah. I think he paid about £80 for them so that's about $160 minus a bit because everything is cheaper in the US. :p

Apparently, you should treat them 'like a weak princess'...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.