Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
The Register provides some insight and rumors into upcoming G4 processors from Motorola. According to their article, MPC7457 processors from Motorola are arriving sooner than expected:

While originally slated for Q4 2003, according to Synergy Microsystems (a Motorola customer):

Final 7457 boards will ship in Q3, says Synergy, "when production quantities of the [7457] become available".

The new chip from Motorola (announced in February) increases the L2 cache as well as the L3 cache and provides a max speed of 1.3GHz -- and incorporates a 200MHz frontside bus, allowing for DDR400 support.

The Register expects this chip to be the most likely processor for the upcoming PowerBook.

This is consistent with one unverified rumor that upcoming PowerBooks come in at 1.3GHz.

QuiteSure

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2002
I think the G4 has to have a future for Apple. Apple has to create a computer for the sub-$1000 market, and only the G4 will fit the bill. I see this as excellent news.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
1.3Ghz with a 200mhz front side bus is plenty, G5 or no G5. I'd be plenty happy with that. Come on Apple, MAKE IT!

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
Sounds pretty likely to me considering the recent comments that the powerbooks won't be seeing a G5 iteration any time soon. A 200mhz frontside bus DDR 400 1.3 gig G4 laptop would be pretty sweet.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Well, if Joswiak says that we won't see a G5 in the PowerBook soon, I guess this is the next best thing.

I really hope Apple has two competing chip makers in the future.

wondermite

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2003
15" PB update: NOT

Apple will NOT update the 15" to a faster CPU than the 17". They have never done that, never will.

*The 15" will be updated when the rest of the line is updated in late Q3.* Get used to it. Meanwhile, I'm using my crappy paint-peeling slow-arse G4/550.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Personally I think the G4 is a mule and always will be. I'd much rather see the portables switch to G3 across the board. The iBooks could use the standard and the PowerBooks could use the Gobi or whatever the one is that has AltiVec tacked on. If it would help on the heat issue I think it'd be great. Hell, they could even call it a G4, I won't tell anyone. ;)

DanUk2003

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2003
Worthing, UK
WE WANT G5 POWERBOOKS!!!!

FOR GOODNESS SAKE!!!

Sorry.... rant over with, but for crying out loud, PowerBook's are PRO models - so let's give them G5's, and FINALLY make the iBook's G4.

dswoodley

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
Re: 15" PB update: NOT

Originally posted by wondermite
Apple will NOT update the 15" to a faster CPU than the 17". They have never done that, never will.

*The 15" will be updated when the rest of the line is updated in late Q3.* Get used to it. Meanwhile, I'm using my crappy paint-peeling slow-arse G4/550.

yes, this true...but only because the 17" is brand new :rolleyes:

wondermite

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2003
Re: Re: 15" PB update: NOT

Originally posted by dswoodley
yes, this true...but only because the 17" is brand new :rolleyes:

I meant "never upgraded the middle of a line to be better than the high end of the line. In other words, 15" PBs will never be the top of the PB line, unless the 17" is dropped.

encro

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2002
bendigo.victoria.au
No, keep the iBooks with a G3.
Just add Altivec in with the Gobi's.

G4's are terrible processors. I own one. The only benefit that the G4 had over G3 was AltiVec.

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Originally posted by tjwett
Personally I think the G4 is a mule and always will be.

No wonder I exchange my Dual 500 for a Powerbook G3 500, if I'm gonna run slow at list let me enjoy some portability. :rolleyes:

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Originally posted by encro

G4's are terrible processors. I own one. The only benefit that the G4 had over G3 was AltiVec.

quite right! And the Gobi G3s are rumored to debut at 1.2 Ghz, and be able to hit 2 Ghz. I bet we would have seen them in ibooks by now if not for the incredibly slow progress on the G4 powerbook processors.

aaronvegh

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2001
G4 is what???

Originally posted by encro

What's with the G4 dissin'? This is the first time ever I've heard anyone badmouth the G4. And now twice on this page?!

Can someone explain what's wrong with the G4? And what makes the Gobi a superior processor?

richard5mith

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2002
Originally posted by DanUk2003
Sorry.... rant over with, but for crying out loud, PowerBook's are PRO models - so let's give them G5's, and FINALLY make the iBook's G4.

Do you not think Apple would put the G5's in there if they could?

The new Power Mac has NINE fans in it, that thing is giving off so much heat. They have to have a cheese grater front and back to get the air to flow through it adequately.

Therefore putting it in a one inch thick case is not exactly something that is just going to happen overnight. These things take engineering time and money, and they haven't even got the new Power Mac's shipping yet. Unless of course you want red hot laptop for dinner.

And yes yes, you can talk about supposed 1.4Ghz G5's all you want, but the G5 hasn't been designed as a laptop chip and therefore I doubt even that model comes anywhere near the 16.6W the new G4 comes in at (especially when the 1.8 G5 comes in at 42W).

You should just be thankful they don't have to totally cripple the G4 to make it work in a laptop, unlike the PC side of things where the laptops are always slower than identical Mhz desktops. It's one of the reasons Mac laptops sell so well, the speed difference between them and PC laptops isn't really there.

There's nothing wrong with the G4, I have a 667Mhz Powerbook that is serving me fine. And it should serve me even better once Panther is on there if reports of it's increased speed are any indication.

(of course, it'll run better on my G5 tower when I get that in August... :))

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
I am expecting 1.1Ghz and 1.3Ghz G4 Powerbooks soon then (before the end of July). I hope they use ATI's Radeon 9600M instead of the slow Nvidia Geforce 4Go. I am looking to get a new Powerbook and since it looks like there will be no G5 Powerbooks for a while a new G4 will have to do.

tpjunkie

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
NYC
What's with the G4 dissin'? This is the first time ever I've heard anyone badmouth the G4. And now twice on this page?!

Where have you been while moto's been NOT developing the G4? THe G4's been getting ripped on for quite some time...at least once it became apparent that the 970 was coming

moosecat

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
Originally posted by hvfsl
I am expecting 1.1Ghz and 1.3Ghz G4 Powerbooks soon then (before the end of July).

Why do you think they'll ship by then? The chips aren't even shipping until "Q3" (which could mean anything from July to September), and surely they need at least a few weeks to put the machines on shelves. I took this news bit as BAD news for quick PowerBook updates.

This is really important to me -- if it's going not going to be until August or September, I'm going to give in to the little devil on my shoulder and buy a 12". If it's going to be July, I'll surrender to the little angel on my shoulder and wait it out.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Originally posted by richard5mith
Do you not think Apple would put the G5's in there if they could?

The new Power Mac has NINE fans in it, that thing is giving off so much heat. They have to have a cheese grater front and back to get the air to flow through it adequately.

Yeah, but don't forget that the 9-fan cooling system has to cool Dual 2-ghz processors, a hard drive (two hard drives in some systems) that spins at 7200 RPM (faster than the hard drives in the notebooks and puts off more heat), PCI devices, a huge graphics card (I *know* those put off heat), etc. etc.

Steamboatwillie

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2003
Memphis, TN
Gee-whats-this-4

What a painful time. The Current G4's got slower, the faster G5's aren't available, the G3 is still the G3 and any sane person would hold on to thier money until the storm settles! Not that any of the current line wouldn't serve you well it's just that it seems like, all of a sudden, whatever you buy today will be "That 'ol piece of crap" in a few months. This has always been somewhat of a truth but now it seems clearly laid out. By the time the G5's are shipping what will be released that is due to ship in the following months? I'm excited as the rest of you but I feel like my head is spinning! I bought a dual 1.25 w/1mb cache in February and the machine runs like a champ. Now, four months later, the better 2mb cache version is $400 less and a base G5 is the same price. I don't feel ripped 'cause the box is champ and I totally love it. I guess I just wish there was some sort of upgrade or trade in path. Apple would get more money from me more often if there was. Sorry about the rant. That being said I guess the news of the new G4's pretty much means nothing to me. :mad:

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Re: G4 is what???

Originally posted by aaronvegh

Can someone explain what's wrong with the G4? And what makes the Gobi a superior processor?

the G4 is HOT for one thing, power hungry, and obviously not very scalable. it's a dead horse, let's not keep beating it.
Go G3!!!

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
I guess I just wish there was some sort of upgrade or trade in path.

I agree. As a 1+ year Mac user, that's probably the thing that frustrates me the most (well, that and the lack of an eject button on the CD-ROM drives, but that's a whole other thread). I buy something, and then six months later it's obsolete, and there's NOTHING I can do to it. At least with my PC, I can rip out the processor and stick a new one in there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.