Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aaron.lee2006

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 23, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Just my personal opinion but I think this would be a fantastic idea. I am going to purchase an iMac soon and having it match the look of my MacBook Pro when they are on my desk would be sweet. But with Apple we know that it could always end up being like the Black MacBook charging $200 more just for the color. Hopefully we will see these though on August 7th.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I doubt they will do a redesign to reduce the 'chin' and keep it white but also offer a Pro skin for a premium. If they do this the 24" iMac spec'd well would approach Mac Pro + 23" ACD prices. However, at one point I would have thought it possible to have 20" & 24" iMacs remain white while introducing a 27" version in aluminum with 2 internal HDDs. Again, price point wise, I don't see this happening. I would be one to pay the extra $200 but really I would probably get a Mac Pro & Display at that point, though I don't really want a tower - at least not one that big ;).

aranhil

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2007
No, this is a bad idea. I'm buying an iMac next month and if I see the new one becoming aluminum I will definitely buy their leftover ones from the old generation. The small Macbook is always plastic and white and cute while the Macbook pro is always brushed aluminum. That's the way it was meant to be. Now, if the iMac, which had been plastic and white and cute ever since ever, turns metallic, it's gonna go to the PRO side. No no, that's not where it should be, that's Mac Pro's place. Apple is going to make a mistake if they make iMac aluminum, cause that's gonna depress buyers who love the cute white thingy. Just look at how inconvincing the shuffle and the nano have become. Now I'm resorted to only buying the video. I hope this transformation stops right here.

dirtleg

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2006
St. Louis
I've been reading all the speculation about the new iMac's and the 'brushed aluminum' look. Here's what I am thinking. Since this has been an established look on many Mac products and since the tid bits from Apple described an 'industrial' look to the new iMac I am thinking there will be a total turn around in the look of the iMac. The look will be an anodized aluminum face with a darker grey or almost a charcoal color body. Maybe some clear acrylic trim around the DVD slot and the connection points. I just have the feeling that Apple is far too creative to simply give the current iMac a face lift. It has been over a year since this style was introduced and with Leopard, iPhone, new iPods and all the other 'new' products, I just think they will make a bigger splash than that with a totally new look to the iMac. Something very much industrial looking, but still sleek and different from everything else on the market.

It would be ok with me. I am not buying just for the style of the box, I need the guts upgrade.

indraunt

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2007
Taking a clue from the rumoured new keyboard, I'll bet a new iMac will be a similar colour - slightly golden. Knowing Apple, they tend to like things to match, but we'll see what happens.

mrmjd

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2007
The Mighty Mouse sure is gonna look sh*te against this alleged new keyboard and an aluminum cased iMac!

Cfour

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2007
Id personally love to see them keep the current white and the option of gloss black. Would be tres appealing.
Im not a fan of the ally myself...
And Id also like to see the new keyboard be one colour or the other, not like the spy shots (I hope) that appeared the other day with the white keys on ally body.

Cfour

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
No, this is a bad idea. I'm buying an iMac next month and if I see the new one becoming aluminum I will definitely buy their leftover ones from the old generation. The small Macbook is always plastic and white and cute while the Macbook pro is always brushed aluminum. That's the way it was meant to be. Now, if the iMac, which had been plastic and white and cute ever since ever, turns metallic, it's gonna go to the PRO side. No no, that's not where it should be, that's Mac Pro's place. Apple is going to make a mistake if they make iMac aluminum, cause that's gonna depress buyers who love the cute white thingy. Just look at how inconvincing the shuffle and the nano have become. Now I'm resorted to only buying the video. I hope this transformation stops right here.

Erm, that is just silly. The new aluminum Nanos are so much more scratch resistant compared to the old ones. Have you actually owned and used a 1st gen Nano?

neven

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2006
Portland, OR
Just look at how inconvincing the shuffle and the nano have become. Now I'm resorted to only buying the video. I hope this transformation stops right here.

Inconvincing? What do you think they're trying to convince you of?

They're the most popular iPods, and with good reason. They're stylish, tiny, durable, and much more scratch-resistant than the plastic ones. Like iW00t said - have you actually owned both generations of Nanos? The difference in feel and quality is stunning.

mongoos150

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2005
No, this is a bad idea. I'm buying an iMac next month and if I see the new one becoming aluminum I will definitely buy their leftover ones from the old generation. The small Macbook is always plastic and white and cute while the Macbook pro is always brushed aluminum. That's the way it was meant to be. Now, if the iMac, which had been plastic and white and cute ever since ever, turns metallic, it's gonna go to the PRO side. No no, that's not where it should be, that's Mac Pro's place.
Segregation! :D

mongoos150

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2005
^^ Wow, you have some archaic equipment. I'd be quite excited about a new iMac - much more excited than I am about upgrading my current 24 incher (which is a lot)!

Yaris

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2007
I'm also a fan of the idea of a nano-like exterior on the new iMacs. I think the should look a bit like the nano in terms of shape. Here is something I whipped up. I think it looks pretty nice.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I'm also a fan of the idea of a nano-like exterior on the new iMacs. I think the should look a bit like the nano in terms of shape. Here is something I whipped up. I think it looks pretty nice.

For once... not a bad mockup... it's simple... and that is definitely Apple. If they made a 24" in black I would buy one or two.

I see new iMacs, new keyboards, and new mice all updated with a new, compatible look. What that compatible look will be, who knows?

If it's anything like the rumored new keyboard then it will look like crap and the iiMac's USB ports will be scattered all over the place.

LoganT

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2007

Great picture. Could you do it in the iPod nano black style? :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.